Register
"Ban White People From Hip-Hop"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

td3

"Ban White People From Hip-Hop"  Reply with quote  

http://stacks.msnbc.com/news/788120.asp?cp1=1

this is very interesting if you have 10 minutes to watch this

never thought id say this after i seen him on Hollywood Squares but: Coolio is the man!

we need to go forward ....not backwards in life

td3

PS: yes, i got this from a thread at the Necro board in case you guys havent seen it
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RAWL_E

geez,.,..,  Reply with quote  

fuck that preacher!!!!!!!!! he obviously is a racist and has his head so far up his ass all he can see is brown brown brown!!!!! coolio is still wack, but i agree with him there[/b]
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:44 pm
dabinduppes

what a fucking moron.
I wanna go on TV and state my plans for having all country music soley licensed to White folk ( not that neone would care)

then see how fast I get my ass drilled if not shot for it
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:55 pm
Shylax

Quote:

I wanna go on TV and state my plans for having all country music soley licensed to White folk ( not that neone would care)

You're right...no one would care...isn't country music already liscensed to white folks?

Haha,

I can't get the video to work but I gather he's using the old "white's stealing black culture" argument again. There is some validity to it, like it or not. Whites will flock to whites doing rap. It's natural. Blacks flock to golf tourneys to watch Tiger. You want to support your own if they're capable of excelling in another culture's activity. Human nature. But the key is to respect the game and not rewrite it. Cats try to rewrite history and tell us Elvis invented rock and roll, Benny Goodman invented jazz and swing. Thirty years from now, the preacher doesn't want an all white hip hop landscape with Eminem inventing rap. Unlikely but it's happened with rock and mainstream jazz.

I believe Hip Hop is for all of us as long as the foundation is respected and not changed. The foundation is still the culture of blacks and latinos in the inner city of New York. Everyone is welcome as long as they don't try to get the foundation twisted like what happened with rock and jazz.

"Though I'm not the first king of controversy
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
to do black music so selfishly
and use it to make myself wealthy"

Haha. Em's funny but on point with that one....

Again, I didn't see the video but as a 30 year old bronx native whose lived the culture all my life, I can see how blacks who grew up on true blues and rock viewed Elvis or the Beatles could get heated.

I'm happy that hiphop has gotten universal and thankful for all the different flavas. As long as the foundation isn't violated to conform to the majority, more power to my white brethren and sistren in the hip hop culture...
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:39 pm
praton3030

that's great and all shylax, but the beasxty boys were the first white rappers, not eminem. I never thought of coolio as a racist, but after seeing this thread, i guess he is, i mean i am fucken tired of black ppl complaining about their fucken culture, i mean who r they to say what is theirs alone, if we got the taste, it can be anyones music, and eminem sucks, cuz he wines about the same old shit all the time, so pick better examples like the beasty boys.

peace,
Brian aka praton3030
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:06 pm
Shylax

Haha,

[qoute], but the beasxty boys were the first white rappers[/quote]

See? Proving my point. Rewriting history. There were white rappers way before the Beasties.

I was only using Em as an example because he's the most successful white rapper...

This is exactly what the preacher and most old school heads who grew up on hip hop and saw it develop fear.

Again, all are welcome but don't get the foundation twisted.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:15 pm
sandman00000

random thought:

duke ellington elevated and broadened his compositional abilities by studying Stravinsky (he's a Russian composer of what most of y'all would call classical music)
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:17 pm
Shylax

Ahh but did Duke Ellington create jazz?
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:25 pm
td3

umm  Reply with quote  

praton3030 - kid, watch the video before you make a comment like that.... Coolio was AGAINST what this racist preacher was saying... you made an ass out of yourself by assuming

Shylax - you say you DIDNT watch this video? If thats true, this is weird: in the video they talked about how Elvis is the one everyone thinks started rock n roll, they talk about how everyone thinks Jazz is crowned by Kenny G, etc. They also quoted that EXACT line from Eminem that you did.

weird

twilight zone

td3
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shylax

See all music borrows from components of it's predecessor but still is the product of the people and culture that it was designed for.

Blacks in the deep south didn't invent pianos, horns, string intsruments. It's what they did with it that formed the new music, jazz and blues. Classical piano and jazz piano are two different animals even though they are both piano, right? They can borrow but they still maintain the basic elements that define it.

Music defines a culture. All are welcome as long as the culture is respected. And combining the music with music of other cultures makes the landscape even more vibrant.

But to take it and mold it just to fit the majority outside of the culture like what happened with jazz and rock is where the problem lies. The hiphop culture is open. Come to it. Don't try to mold it to the larger culture.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:43 pm
dabinduppes

dude, wait a sec.

Coollio IS married to a middle aged white woman right? I would almost bet my left nutsack he is, I think she's also his manager

someone correct me if Im wrong

Last edited by dabinduppes on Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:47 pm
Shylax

Td3,

Quote:

Shylax - you say you DIDNT watch this video? If thats true, this is weird: in the video they talked about how Elvis is the one everyone thinks started rock n roll, they talk about how everyone thinks Jazz is crowned by Kenny G, etc. They also quoted that EXACT line from Eminem that you did.

weird

Haha,

I don't have windows media and I didn't feel like downloading but I argue this with my boys daily. I've heard this same argument thousands of times so I don't need to see it.

They get upset when they go to shows and see white kids. They were upset when Vanilla Ice blew (I confess, so was I) and they are upset Em's huge. They just think the same thing that happened to jaxx with Kenny G and rock with Elvis is going to happen again. I personally think it will never happen again because the times have changed.

I constantly show them there are tons of talented DJ's,MC's, producers who are white and who are bringing the real shit. Again, these are heads that been down since the late 70's early 80's. It's hard for them to change. It's hard for them to see something that grew and flourished around them become universal.

Yeah, this argument is old hat for me. Been hearing it for years

My feelings have always been, if you nice, props, if not, blah. That's how it's was back in the day. That's how it should be now.
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:54 pm
excellrec

bah,  Reply with quote  

cavemen invented fire........WE'RE STEALING AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Man, i bet you there's this one lonesome poor old broke cat watchin this ish on his set in a dingy apartment sayin. " Man it all started when me and my brother had an arguement while some johnny B. Goode was rockin on the radio, We started talkin all fast and we kinda rhymed while we was talkin fast". "Me and my family invented rap, now the other families is takin it.". "Why the other families oppressin us".....Man i feel bad for the cat.

Last edited by excellrec on Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:34 pm
Shylax

Quote:

cavemen invented fire........WE'RE STEALING AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

LOL,

But if I said Leroy Jenkins from Harlem created fire and it became accepted as fact, those cavemen would be bitching :lol:

Haha, nah. But you see the dilemma.

It's like when cats in Seattle saw kids all over America start rocking flannel and they got heated. It was their culture being exploited. Or how the punk communtiy hated on Greenday and Blink182. It's not just in HipHop folks. Those who grew and lived in a culture are very protective of it...
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:43 pm
kamereon

what?  Reply with quote  

i think alot of that shit is weird... maybe not wrong, but weird non-the-less.

i mean, i live in florida... very far south. and i have never heard that elvis invented rock n roll. never heard that benny goodman invented jazz. that shit is weird. down here elvis is considered more of a pioneer of modernizing country music. not for any rock n roll exploits, at least as far as i have ever heard. i think culture has finally reversed itself. the north may have surpassed the south in its racism and twisted views.

and if you know of any of those whiteys who were rapping before the beasties then feel free to name drop. the only one other old school white guy who comes to mind is Mc Search, who later fronted third bass, but he was very post-beasty. not doubting there were some, just curious as to whom it was.

and by the way, music does not define culture. i am quite sure i share musical influences and opinions with some bronx people, but we damn sure dont share the same culture. my environment tended to influence more than music. my environment even influenced my musical life, because i recieved a box of 45's and cassettes when i was approx. 6 or 7 years old. from a guy who lived in my neighborhood. music has been an amazingly large influence on me, but not so much as my surroundings.

oops i forgot to watch the video,
adam from pensacola
Post Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next