Search
Register
Inglorious Bastards teaser (finally)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

My girlfriend goes to bat for Death Proof too. I like it in the context of the whole Grindhouse double feature experience. But I'd have to see it again to really know where I put it against his other movies. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:53 pm
Disharmony

From what I remember of that movie without spoiling it. Was a car scene. Talking in a bar. More talking. Talking, talking. Then another car scene. Then another car scene.

End on some pretentious, har har shit. Credits.

/unsatisfied
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:04 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

death proof is awesome

when i first watched it , i wasnt expecting much but i really liked it

most people dont dig it though

out of the grindhouse combo , Planet Terror is way cooler

deathproof is dope for what it is
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:17 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

dusk til dawn is classic

nobody ever mentions that
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I liked both grindhouse flicks alot. Both flicks are underrated, I don't know why people werent checkin for em but they were very entertaining.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:37 pm
Travadone

Planet terror awesome

Death proof such a piece of shit
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:57 pm
Casey Carver

death proof is dope. tartantino has a much different take on grindhouse cinema than rodriguez. he intentionally minimized the amount of action, trying to give it the feel of a movie that really only had the budget for one or two big scenes and had to fill the rest with dialogue/inexpensive scenes, which i really dug.

i thought dp was pretty decent when i saw it in theaters, but didn't really enjoy it as much as i do now until seeing the extended dvd cut.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:11 pm
Captiv8

Neuro wrote:
dusk til dawn is classic

nobody ever mentions that

Awesome movie with so much good stuff going on. First and foremost is Clooney, who does an excellent job being himself. Second is Keitel as the tortured ex-man of God. Tom Savini was his crotch-pistol and whip, Salma Hayek as a seductive vampire. The whole film is incredible from start to finish. Even Tarantino does as good job as the deranged brother. Great stuff.

As for Death Proof...eh. I don't care what Tarantino was trying to do, because in my eyes he failed. There was a lot of hokey tension that built and built, but nothing seemed that compelling. The best part of the movie was the soundtrack. Give my Planet Terror over Death Proof any day.
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:18 pm
mancabbage

true romance needs more love, i wish he'd gotten the chance to direct that one
Post Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:57 pm
futuristxen

True Romance isn't Tarantino. It's Tony Scott. Since when did we start giving movies to screenwriters? The movie has more Tony Scott tropes in it than Tarantino ones.

And I don't really agree with splitting Planet Terror and Death Proof up. They were one whole cinematic experience. Death Proof works as the exploitation era film that was the main feature after Planet Terror. On it's own, it's sort of out of context IMO.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 am
tommi teardrop

True Romance is totally Tarantino. Tony Scott direction or not, every line of dialogue screams Tarantino very loudly. His original script is so modern day Romeo and Juliet that it's crazy. Clarence even has his own Rosaline. I think in Tarantino's version, Juliet realizes that it was not true love and spares herself death.

I always felt like people that champion Jackie Brown were doing so just to have a different favorite than everyone else. I don't know how you could put that film on the same level as Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill. I just don't see it. I was never an Elmore Leonard fan though. Maybe people just like it cuz it is less Tarantino than anything else he's ever done. I guess I can see that.

Still haven't seen this new one. But I have watched Death Proof a ton of times on Encore. I love the bar scene. It definitely gets better after watching it a few times. Tarantino really seems to be into the whole "making you almost annoyed with the pace of the movie and dialogue" thing. Spike sort of does the same thing in a lot of his movies also.

Someone needs to analyze Inglorious Basterds vs. St. Anna and how they fit within each directors' catalog.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am
futuristxen

tommi teardrop wrote:
True Romance is totally Tarantino. Tony Scott direction or not, every line of dialogue screams Tarantino very loudly. His original script is so modern day Romeo and Juliet that it's crazy. Clarence even has his own Rosaline. I think in Tarantino's version, Juliet realizes that it was not true love and spares herself death.

Yeah but the aviator glasses, the daddy issues, the music--is all Tony Scott's bag. I never consider that Tarantino. I think it's slightly offensive to Tony Scott and his body of work, to just toss him out because Tarantino became super huge, and Tony Scott never got any respect for anything.

People don't toss out Oliver Stone from Natural Born Killers with anywhere near the verve they do Tony Scott on True Romance.

Tarantino wrote it, but it's a Tony Scott movie.

Quote:

Someone needs to analyze Inglorious Basterds vs. St. Anna and how they fit within each directors' catalog.

You should. I'd read it.

What do you think about Resevoir Dogs as Tarantino's best movie? You didn't really address that, and that's one of the more aggravating tangents that I've run into a lot. IMO Dogs while a good movie, and while it does contain the primordial elements of what Tarantino would become--it's not Tarantino doing Tarantino. What he's doing now is so much more advanced and assured and uninhibited IMO. I mean, it helps that the Weinstein's are in love with him, and will let him do whatever he wants. But that's part of it too. The movies he is making now, they seem like exactly the kind of films he's always wanted to make. Kill Bill, Basterds, and Death Proof I feel like represent the full on arrival of Tarantino as the director he wants to be.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:52 am
tommi teardrop

I would never list Reservoir Dogs as his best, but there are things about it that are just so special to me. Many of his characters are so over the top, and with RD, the genuine relationship between Mr. Orange and Mr. White is just really unique for a Tarantino movie. And just the look of the film and the settings. and while the QT dialogue is still there, it seems a little less in your face.

The chase scene is incredible. And the whole movie just has this fresh vibe to it. His more recent shit seems so much more intentional and forced (not that that is a bad thing). But RD just seems like a small breath of brilliance whereas Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction and I'm guessing Inlourious Basterds are these epically complex productions.

I guess that's sort of why I like Death Proof also.

I'm sure I will love Inglourious Basterds, but I would love to see him write a modest film at this point or maybe see how he would adapt someone else's writing (other than Elmore Leonard). He just got so huge so fast, that it's like he can just do anything he wants, which is cool. But sometimes some limitations and lessening the scope can produce good results also.
Post Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:12 am
Disharmony

Wow, what a let down. Damn.
Seriously. They need to have left some scenes on the cutting room floor, or at least replaced them with something more engaging. Every time I felt like the film was about to take off it winded back down.
Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:17 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

Disharmony wrote:
Wow, what a let down. Damn.
Seriously. They need to have left some scenes on the cutting room floor, or at least replaced them with something more engaging. Every time I felt like the film was about to take off it winded back down.

I thought it was really engaging. I certainly had no trouble sitting through the three hours.
Post Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:34 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17