Profile
Search
Register
Log in
RIP DJ AM
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Author Message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8538
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

Psycho-78 wrote:
cold as ice on a witch's titty


And now you're cliched too!

Why not combine both and say "Cold as DJ AM on the coroner's table."

Jesus, I didn't have a thought about the guy one way or another but I'd never say good riddance to someone that died. They were somebody's friend or relative, and those people are hurting right now. Show a little respect.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
box johnson



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 1123
Location: Denver
 Reply with quote  

Just a reminder that life is as sacred as you make it. DJ scAM.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
prolific memorie



Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Posts: 1412
Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.
 Reply with quote  

I'm trying to remember every second.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Travadone



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 2977
Location: LI(f)E SUCKS (The Album)
 Reply with quote  

prolific memorie wrote:
I'm trying to remember every second.
shut the fuck uuupppppppppp. your posts are lame as fuck. every one of them. the lamest shit. super lame shit.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
box johnson



Joined: 25 Nov 2008
Posts: 1123
Location: Denver
 Reply with quote  

Travadone wrote:
prolific memorie wrote:
I'm trying to remember every second.
shut the fuck uuupppppppppp. your posts are lame as fuck. every one of them. the lamest shit. super lame shit.

child please, you're reeves reincarnated as a donkey. limp the fuck on.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
albeeyap2



Joined: 10 Jul 2004
Posts: 1258
Location: Inland Empire CA
 Reply with quote  

Travadone wrote:
Try posting a link to the story you cocksucking piece of shit.

Learn how to make a thread


i was the first to know but didn't have time to post the link because there wasnt any sources at that time. hahaha ... cant believe this fucker got mad.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sequence



Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 2182
Location: www.anteuppdx.com
 Reply with quote  

Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. I, for one, respected the fuck out of the dude and did two of his signature blends tonight at the club in his honor. Everyone I know that knew him swears up and down that he was the highest quality of human; I played with Sammy Bananas tonight and Sammy was so devastated by his passing that we had to talk him into going on. Douchebags don't get that kind of respect. If you can't get past the celebrity to see the talent and the humanity, that's on you.

R.I.P.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message
DM



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 6371
Location: www.NERDTORIOUS.com
 Reply with quote  

sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. .


A lot of people have been saying this. I've never once heard anything from this dude that would merits what you're saying. I read Diplo rides for AM, so that must mean something. What exactly did he do that was so great? What of his am I sleeping on?
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message
sequence



Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 2182
Location: www.anteuppdx.com
 Reply with quote  

DM wrote:
sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. .


A lot of people have been saying this. I've never once heard anything from this dude that would merits what you're saying. I read Diplo rides for AM, so that must mean something. What exactly did he do that was so great? What of his am I sleeping on?


Quick mixing and genre fusing. Diplo and others were already melting genres together when AM got on, but not playing records the way that he did. The speed and cleverness of his transitions (often resting on instances of word play in songs) were more reminiscent of a turntablist than anything else. And I wasn't joking, NO ONE who gets paid to DJ in a room were people dance to anything other than one genre for the whole night plays the same anymore after him. I work so much harder behind the decks now when I play then I did 5 years ago, mainly because of his style.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21573
 Reply with quote  

sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. I, for one, respected the fuck out of the dude and did two of his signature blends tonight at the club in his honor. Everyone I know that knew him swears up and down that he was the highest quality of human; I played with Sammy Bananas tonight and Sammy was so devastated by his passing that we had to talk him into going on. Douchebags don't get that kind of respect. If you can't get past the celebrity to see the talent and the humanity, that's on you.

R.I.P.


This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort so I'm glad you wrote it. I'm willing to bet that most people have no idea why DJ AM is a respected and well-known name. From the periphery, all we've known is that he was in a horrible band called Crazy Town and that he's dated celebrities. I'm not involved in the club scene, there's no one I know who is involved in the club scene, and I never heard of DJ AM except for tabloid shit. So, seriously, thank you for shedding light on this matter. If he is everything you say he is, then I hope he gets better representation in the public limelight so that more douchebags (like myself) don't get frustrated due to their ignorance and say "Who the fuck cares??"
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
sequence



Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 2182
Location: www.anteuppdx.com
 Reply with quote  

Not a problem. I live in a world of DJs these days and my twitter has been crazier in the last 18 hours because of AM's death than it was when Michael Jackson died. I think that tells you something. I'd name names, but chances are if you don't know AM's real steez beyond the tabloids you don't know who the dudes from The Rub, or Sake One, or Steve 1der, or DJ Fashen, or White Shadow are. But you probably do know and respect this guy--though you might not know that he's considered one of the best club DJs in the world these days--

These are DJ Jazzy Jeff's last 6 tweets:

I just can't shake this feeling...i'm just empty...but u will live forever thru me homie...trust that...25 minutes ago from web

We all (as djs) knew some of his trademark things he did...show tribute by doing something he did when u play...we cannot let them 4get about him 9 hours ago from UberTwitter

RT @DJHOMICIDE1: @SizzahandzCClan @djjazzyjeff215 @DJRizNyc Time For us To do something special man. We lost a Sibling, a fam, We lost another icon. about 10 hours ago from UberTwitter

@DJRizNyc i just don't get it man...i can't stop cryin...about 11 hours ago from web in reply to DJRizNyc

@DJHOMICIDE1 man...this hurts....about 11 hours ago from web in reply to DJHOMICIDE1

Words cannot express the hurt i'm feeling right now...i'm still waiting for this to be a terrible joke...
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8538
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

Believe it or not a just got chills reading those tweets, Sequence. Thanks for stepping up and presenting DJ AM in a more human light. It's clear the man had a profound influence on the artform, and is missed by a lot of people.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
prolific memorie



Joined: 19 Apr 2009
Posts: 1412
Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. I, for one, respected the fuck out of the dude and did two of his signature blends tonight at the club in his honor. Everyone I know that knew him swears up and down that he was the highest quality of human; I played with Sammy Bananas tonight and Sammy was so devastated by his passing that we had to talk him into going on. Douchebags don't get that kind of respect. If you can't get past the celebrity to see the talent and the humanity, that's on you.

R.I.P.


This is the first time I've heard anything of the sort so I'm glad you wrote it. I'm willing to bet that most people have no idea why DJ AM is a respected and well-known name. From the periphery, all we've known is that he was in a horrible band called Crazy Town and that he's dated celebrities. I'm not involved in the club scene, there's no one I know who is involved in the club scene, and I never heard of DJ AM except for tabloid shit. So, seriously, thank you for shedding light on this matter. If he is everything you say he is, then I hope he gets better representation in the public limelight so that more douchebags (like myself) don't get frustrated due to their ignorance and say "Who the fuck cares??"


whoa...
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DM



Joined: 05 Jul 2002
Posts: 6371
Location: www.NERDTORIOUS.com
 Reply with quote  

sequence wrote:
DM wrote:
sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. .


A lot of people have been saying this. I've never once heard anything from this dude that would merits what you're saying. I read Diplo rides for AM, so that must mean something. What exactly did he do that was so great? What of his am I sleeping on?


Quick mixing and genre fusing. Diplo and others were already melting genres together when AM got on, but not playing records the way that he did. The speed and cleverness of his transitions (often resting on instances of word play in songs) were more reminiscent of a turntablist than anything else. And I wasn't joking, NO ONE who gets paid to DJ in a room were people dance to anything other than one genre for the whole night plays the same anymore after him. I work so much harder behind the decks now when I play then I did 5 years ago, mainly because of his style.


Once again, and not to be a dick, but everyone's like "he was amazing", "he had amazing skills", but no one has shown me EXACTLY WHAT he's done that's so amazing. Not one youtube video, not one mix cd.

I know he was cool with mad folks (didn't he roll with Alchemist back in the day?) but I want to know what works of his I should check out.

Knowing lots of DJs-- turntablists and party rockers-- I can't accept dude was the greatest DJ of the last decade without proof that goes beyond tweets.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
sequence



Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 2182
Location: www.anteuppdx.com
 Reply with quote  

DM wrote:
sequence wrote:
DM wrote:
sequence wrote:
Seriously, fuck that shit. DJ AM was a fucking MONSTER. Dude completely changed the face of club DJing more than anyone in the last 10 years. No one who actually gets paid to DJ at clubs plays the same anymore since AM came on the scene. He was an exceptionally talented DJ as a mixer, a scratcher, and most importantly as a creative mind behind the decks. .


A lot of people have been saying this. I've never once heard anything from this dude that would merits what you're saying. I read Diplo rides for AM, so that must mean something. What exactly did he do that was so great? What of his am I sleeping on?


Quick mixing and genre fusing. Diplo and others were already melting genres together when AM got on, but not playing records the way that he did. The speed and cleverness of his transitions (often resting on instances of word play in songs) were more reminiscent of a turntablist than anything else. And I wasn't joking, NO ONE who gets paid to DJ in a room were people dance to anything other than one genre for the whole night plays the same anymore after him. I work so much harder behind the decks now when I play then I did 5 years ago, mainly because of his style.


Once again, and not to be a dick, but everyone's like "he was amazing", "he had amazing skills", but no one has shown me EXACTLY WHAT he's done that's so amazing. Not one youtube video, not one mix cd.

I know he was cool with mad folks (didn't he roll with Alchemist back in the day?) but I want to know what works of his I should check out.

Knowing lots of DJs-- turntablists and party rockers-- I can't accept dude was the greatest DJ of the last decade without proof that goes beyond tweets.


All I've got to say is that you should've seen him do it live, then. Here is a fairly crappy video of one of his more famous routines. Remember that this isn't some so turntablist battle shit--though it's good enough to be--he's doing this shit in clubs with thousands of fickle kids on the dance floor and he manages to make it go over. The problem with trying to gauge someone who is a party rock DJ from a youtube video or even a mixtape is that much of what makes someone like AM or DJ Fashen or Jazzy Jeff so ill is their ability to weld together a two hour-plus long set that enables them to get away with playing tracks and doing shit that on the surface seems like it would flop; but instead, people lose their fucking minds.



EDIT: And understand this mix isn't an example of what made dude famous. The Do Over is a night were big DJs come in and play their favorite music for free. *Here is a blog by Eli Escobar about AM - along with a link to one of his last recorded live mixes at the Do Over; it's at the bottom of the page*


Last edited by sequence on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:48 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon