Search
Register
Inglorious Bastards teaser (finally)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

remind

remind wrote:
Ok, so, back to Inglourious (spoilers):

My mother and I were discussing the end and she thinks that Shoshanna (did I butcher her name?) and the black guy (what's his name again?) had intended on going down with the cinema and everyone else. I didn't get that impression. I assumed that the plan was for both of them to dip out the door the way he got back in to light up the reels. She wasn't acting as if she knew she was gonna die. Not to me, at least. The fate of the black guy is never revealed. What do you guys think?

mancabbage wrote:
Yeah i was wondering that at the time when he flicked the cigarette and the screen was burning down, i kept thinking it was gona cut to him finding her body or something

So, there's no one else that has an opinion about this? Has this thread ruined people's desire to actually talk about what happens in the movie?
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 am
mancabbage

seems so unless of course you're willing to post an essay about tarantino being a tea leaf and stealing from krystof kieslowski or someone else who's films they only show in film school and france
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:46 am
remind

Haha seriously.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:52 am
marshall84

Slavoj Zizek says via Twitter: "Inglorious Basterds is the opposite of living out one's fantasy. It condemns us to the truth. The real fantasy is a world sans Auschwitz."
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

mancabbage wrote:
seems so unless of course you're willing to post an essay about tarantino being a tea leaf and stealing from krystof kieslowski or someone else who's films they only show in film school and france

shhh! yoou might make futurist mad
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:04 am
cakes

remind wrote:
remind wrote:

My mother and I were discussing the end and she thinks that Shoshanna (did I butcher her name?) and the black guy (what's his name again?) had intended on going down with the cinema and everyone else. I didn't get that impression. I assumed that the plan was for both of them to dip out the door the way he got back in to light up the reels. She wasn't acting as if she knew she was gonna die. Not to me, at least. The fate of the black guy is never revealed. What do you guys think?

mancabbage wrote:
Yeah i was wondering that at the time when he flicked the cigarette and the screen was burning down, i kept thinking it was gona cut to him finding her body or something

So, there's no one else that has an opinion about this? Has this thread ruined people's desire to actually talk about what happens in the movie?
i'm with your mom. i did wonder for a moment, but assumed that they intended to die. afterall, she had locked herself in there before he came to visit her. i think she was planning on watching them suffer. and their kiss seemed one of those "this is forever" goodbyes. i felt like she was acting as someone who was planning on going down with the house. it's a poetic end to her life, and she didn't seem to have much of a life beyond the theater. at least that they showed. the only time they really showed her out in public, she was eating alone.

edit:
Majawala wrote:
gotta agree with the foxtrot. caring about characters in a film tends to be a major point to most of the great movies. and the only sympathetic character in IB is the girl. who goes crazy. thus becoming a non sympathetic character.
i just want to add that i disagree with this. i don't think she went "crazy", and i never felt any different about her. besides, assuming you can't sympathize with someone whose gone down that path is ridiculous. sure, her response is fairly radical, but she knew exactly what she was doing and she executed it perfectly. i was actually pretty proud of her in a way.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:53 am
Majawala

i was gonna wait till i saw it again. at the time i remembering thinking 'they are acting like they are not going to see each other again' but on second thought it couldve been that they were doing something fairly intense. so yea i gotta see it again.

i gotta think about that one cakes.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 am
cakes

word. i suppose i wouldn't expect very many people to respond well to the experience she had. and to be able to keep it cool so that she was able to get her revenge, which was one of the best kinds one seeking revenge could hope for, was very impressive.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:29 am
Majawala

yea you are right. and i didnt think about it but she was probably gonna get killed by hans at some point anyway. ordering milk couldnt have been a coincidence. he was probably just waiting till after the movie was shown. i guess shes not a traditionally sympethetic character but then this isnt a traditional movie in any sense.

are there any movies where holocaust victims get to take their revenge? if not how is this the first one? youd think that its an emotion enough people have felt that it would turn into a movie.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 am
cakes

man, that dude was so nasty! aweomsely nasty.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:09 am
remind

cakes wrote:
remind wrote:
remind wrote:

mancabbage wrote:

i'm with your mom. i did wonder for a moment, but assumed that they intended to die. afterall, she had locked herself in there before he came to visit her. i think she was planning on watching them suffer. and their kiss seemed one of those "this is forever" goodbyes. i felt like she was acting as someone who was planning on going down with the house. it's a poetic end to her life, and she didn't seem to have much of a life beyond the theater. at least that they showed. the only time they really showed her out in public, she was eating alone.

See, I thought the kiss was more of a "oh my God, we're really about to burn down the cinema" along with a feeling of something going wrong and that they could die. When she originally brought up the idea, it was like she wasn't even considering her own possible death. She was cool and collective...even a bit sinister. I don't know. What would the point be of purposely dying with all of the Nazi's?
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:15 am
Majawala

i loved it when he laughed at the actress when he heard she went mountain climbing. so sinister.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 am
cakes

i suppose i kinda saw it more as, "it means enough to me that i'm not even thinking about whether i'm going to die." it didn't seem as she had too much to live for after her family was destroyed. sure, maybe that guy, but i think if i were her, i'd want to watch it too. there could always be some survivors guilt too...

she may also have had her own internal response to killing everyone, whether or not they deserved it. i'm pretty sure that she felt bad shooting zoller from the way she bent down afterwards (did she shoot all the rounds? i didn't count). maybe she always felt like she deserved to die afterwards? i have no idea. but i would probably be depressed enough at that point not to really care if i was gone, just as long as they were. i would care more about getting the job done. at least, i'd like to think so...

why would they only show that romantic connection once? i may be wrong, but i don't remember them alluding to that before despite his presence in scenes, which is what made it feel so intense to me.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:41 am
cakes

i must admit, i do love how many different ways you can look at movies. what the overall film is about is pretty cool, but i'm always way more obsessed with what the characters are feeling and the choices they make.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:45 am
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

Hitler was really hoping that Avatar would be good enough to distract everyone from Inglourious Basterds

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next