Search
Register
33 advertisers pull out of the Glenn Beck show
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

phataccino

MP3D wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

regardless of how you feel about this guy or what he says, this is still a loss of freedom.

No. It's not.
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:02 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

MP3D wrote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

regardless of how you feel about this guy or what he says, this is still a loss of freedom.

What the fuck are you even talking about?
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm
SteveJB

People don't want to put money into the pocket of this tool, or be associated with him in anyway so are pulling advertising.

It's companies exercising their freedom to sponsor whatever they want, there's no loss of freedom, he hasn't been stopped by the government.
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:18 pm
Smurf Stomper

the mean wrote:
MP3D wrote:

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:48 pm
xGasPricesx

Smurf Stomper wrote:
the mean wrote:
MP3D wrote:

Uhh... Yeah... When did the government get involved with this???
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:19 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

xGasPricesx wrote:
Smurf Stomper wrote:
the mean wrote:
MP3D wrote:

Uhh... Yeah... When did the government get involved with this???

keep em closed
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:26 pm
mancabbage

you guys think this dude is genuinely for real?

he's a conservative no doubt, but some of the shit he says is straight out of a loonatic asylum, I just can't believe he really genuinely believes the shit he's saying. no way,
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm
phataccino

mancabbage wrote:

he's a conservative no doubt, but some of the shit he says is straight out of a loonatic asylum, I just can't believe he really genuinely believes the shit he's saying. no way,

Glen Beck, or MP3D?
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:18 pm
redball

MP3D wrote:

It's a loss of a freedom that isn't protected and shouldn't be particularly valued. Is it censorship? Sort of. Whatever censorship it is has nothing to do with the government or the constitution. He has a constitutional right to be the biggest douche ever, but there is nothing in the constitution that mandates that the public has to listen, that corporations have to fund him, or that anyone has to pay to put him on the air.

This falls in the area of a social code. While we have the legal freedom to say almost whatever we want* we do not have a social freedom to do so. What Beck said is legal, though it seems close to being libel, but it is not socially acceptable to loosely throw around accusations that someone is a racist [except on the internet]. So Beck said what he did and now must suffer the social backlash.

Here's where it becomes very American and a great expression of freedom for these advertisers to pull out. Essentially this action is a democratic capitalist one. By organizing a boycott of his sponsors the people voted with their dollars that they do not wish for him to be on the air, or at the very least that he should be punished for saying such things. Beck, like you, I or anyone, cannot escape the fact that his speech and actions are governed by more than just the law. All of this is implicit in the First Amendment, but every now and then it must be explained because literalists can't read between the lines.

*I say almost whatever we want because there is a litmus test for our freedoms as defined by our laws. If your expression of your protected freedom prevents another from their protected freedom then their freedom wins more than it loses. That applies to freedom of speech as well and it's how legal issues like libel and threats of violence are handled.

BtBB: Is this not the sort of thing that Knowmore.org was founded for? Consumers, upon learning that their dollars were funding an out of control hate monger organized a boycott that had a direct effect. I thought that sort of awareness and action was one of the original goals of the site. Just because there are worse offenses to worry about, or better issues to boycott over, doesn't make this less valid. Especially as a consumer action. I would go the other way with this and say that this is a huge win as a direct action effort and encourage those who are engaged to continue to boycott some of these companies in the future for the sort of reasons that may be listed on Knowmore.
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 pm
MP3D
Straaaange FAMOUS!

the mean wrote:
MP3D wrote:

my new recipe for chocolate chip cookies you fucking prick!
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:36 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

MP3D wrote:
the mean wrote:
MP3D wrote:

my new recipe for chocolate chip cookies you fucking prick!

That is about as relevant to the conversation as quoting the Constitution.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 am
Mark in Minnesota

Google, circa this morning: No results found for "chilling effect on hate speech".

MP3D is just trying to break new ground.

Respect!
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 am
Ardamus315

mancabbage wrote:

i don't think even real conservatives really believe that guy. i remember that time he did that fake-ass crying on TV. LOL. that guy's a loser.....
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:12 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Ardamus315 wrote:
mancabbage wrote:

i don't think even real conservatives really believe that guy. i remember that time he did that fake-ass crying on TV. LOL. that guy's a loser.....

Seems logical, huh? Unfortunately, a lot of people take him very seriously. If you've ever watched his show for five or ten minutes, you've seen that he habitually turns to the camera and says "America, are you hearing this?!?" or "America, don't let them...." or "America, you are losing your right to..."

He's probably very persuasive among people who are more inclined to believe what lets them be in fear or outraged. Keep in mind that there are a ton of people who WANT to hear what he is saying.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:31 pm
Captiv8

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
Ardamus315 wrote:
mancabbage wrote:

Seems logical, huh? Unfortunately, a lot of people take him very seriously. If you've ever watched his show for five or ten minutes, you've seen that he habitually turns to the camera and says "America, are you hearing this?!?" or "America, don't let them...." or "America, you are losing your right to..."

He's probably very persuasive among people who are more inclined to believe what lets them be in fear or outraged. Keep in mind that there are a ton of people who WANT to hear what he is saying.

Too right. The same people have all of Bill O'Reilly's books. The only thing more powerful than fearmongering is wanting to be afraid. People need something to be afraid of, to complain about, to blame, and Glenn Beck is particularly good at fulfilling this need for people. There should be a show called Fear vs. Facts, which gives you the real shit straight up. Knowmore.org could sponsor.
Post Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:52 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next