Search
Register
District 9
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

knowrites

in my opinion, this does to alien movies what 23 Days Later did for zombies.
i will be holding all future alien movies to this level of quality.

thoroughly enjoyed this move, and will quite likely be buying the dvd.
the design on the aliens wasn't something i would've done. my primary issue being the tentacles instead of more solid hands, but i think everything worked out pretty well.

christopher johnson= my hero.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:50 pm
yourREIGNisOVER

box johnson wrote:
How can you have seen this movie and doubt there will be a sequel? So blatant, it's painful.

And as much as I enjoyed the premise, I don't see how they can execute the second film. Especially when out of the 2.5 million prawns, there was ONE who wasn't eating tires and ripping apart old appliances like a poorly trained house pet. The narrative of the prawn, to me, went untold. Give me something to work with, District 10.

dude, boxy, stop hating on the prawns, man.

couple things:

do you not remember them saying that the prawns were like the worker bee class of alien from their planet that generally did not have the thinking power to pull off the shit they needed?

i dont know how you could not see how the sequel would probably be exactly what you said was lacking from this film..

personally, i would like to see Christopher come back with an army of aliens and do what no alien movie, that i have seen, has done. Which is actually coming, going to war with, and destroying the human race.

loved this movie.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:12 pm
medicineman
HALFLING

Hmm...even the most cursory survey shows me this movie is playing well to an astounding percentage of people who arent idiots. May have to see it.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:49 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

i thought it was ok, definitely didnt live up to the hype
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
box johnson

yourREIGNisOVER wrote:
do you not remember them saying that the prawns were like the worker bee class of alien from their planet that generally did not have the thinking power to pull off the shit they needed?

are we past SPOILER ALERTS yet?

that's my point, in a way. either christopher is the neo of the prawns or there was more story left on the table. i think the latter is much more plausible.

the sequel is set up to do what you suggest, which is such a reach around to everything stereotypical about the genre. wonder if the third movie is about the humans, living in prawn controlled ghettos?

no, i'm not excited about your proposed sequel. too cut and dry. what i liked about this movie was the unconventional approach it took to first contact and the clever weaving of social commentary. if the next flick is independence day, i'll pass.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:12 pm
Bandini
WIZARD APPRENTICE

what was so unconventional and clever about it? beyond special effects, i dont see this movie breaking any new ground. its was alien nation mixed with a little cloverfield and a little the fly.

I thought much of the film was boring and poorly written. it addressed race but had elements of racism itself. as a piece of social commentary it failed badly.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TurnpikeGates

Bandini wrote:
what was so unconventional and clever about it? beyond special effects, i dont see this movie breaking any new ground. its was alien nation mixed with a little cloverfield and a little the fly.

I thought much of the film was boring and poorly written. it addressed race but had elements of racism itself. as a piece of social commentary it failed badly.

I dunno man. I guess it's just that Hollywood has set the bar so low. To get a movie that has a decent budget and ANY ideas in it AT ALL kind of warrants a hallelujah. It was unconventional, if hollywood sci-fi/action is the convention. In a real cinema meritocracy, this movie would be mediocre, but good ideas rarely get even a $30m budget. It also has a pretty broad appeal, which is where a lot of the hype is coming from. It can please pretty much all comers.

It definitely broke ground in terms of market--it opens the gate at least slightly for intelligent sci-fi. You know how after Bowling For Columbine, all of a sudden political documentaries could actually get funding? There's a possibility that this movie could do that for less stupid action/sci-fi.

Also--the metamorphosis was EXACTLY ripped off from Cronenberg's version of The Fly.
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 pm
yourREIGNisOVER

first off motherfuckers,

we beat those aliens in independence day.

i want a movie where we dont win.

where a realistic alien race of vast technological intelligence destroys us that we cant just fuckin kill at will with our barehands or metal slug shootin weapons.

ya dig?

i dont care if you dont like my idea box, stay in it.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 am
Invisible Robots

this movie was AMAZING.

I did notice the similarities with 'the fly'. particularly the 'fingernail' thing.

but honestly... how could you sit there and just criticize this film?

I was a little skeptical of it at first.. even when It started, I was wondering how things were 'going to go'.... and then it all of a sudden got very interesting.

the score also helped a lot. For me personally.

district 9 is amazing.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:19 am
TurnpikeGates

Invisible Robots wrote:
this movie was AMAZING.

I did notice the similarities with 'the fly'. particularly the 'fingernail' thing.

but honestly... how could you sit there and just criticize this film?

I was a little skeptical of it at first.. even when It started, I was wondering how things were 'going to go'.... and then it all of a sudden got very interesting.

the score also helped a lot. For me personally.

district 9 is amazing.

To be clear, I liked it quite a bit. But this should be baseline. Think of how much better sci-fi movies could be then this. Some already are, but they come along once a decade or so.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 am
box johnson

Bandini wrote:

You're right. I probably overstated that in a way as an eff you to the genre, though I think rather than trying to tell the anti-story, there was a lot of subtlety at work. What made you think it was so boring? The pacing? Was the dialogue was poorly written, or you disagree with fundamental elements?

Maybe there aren't fissures surrounding this film, but it wasn't trying to be Synechodoche New York. There were parts I liked, parts I disliked.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:52 am
selfworth

knowrites wrote:

the movie was 28 days later and they weren't zombies, they were people that got infected by a disease, not people rising from the dead. i haven't seen district 9 but if this is a fair comparison then i am not interested in this at all. i thought 28 days later was borng as all hell.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 am
Invisible Robots

selfworth wrote:
knowrites wrote:

the movie was 28 days later and they weren't zombies, they were people that got infected by a disease, not people rising from the dead. i haven't seen district 9 but if this is a fair comparison then i am not interested in this at all. i thought 28 days later was borng as all hell.

Dood.. don't stray from this film based on one person's opinion.. which I disagree with by the way.

Personally, I was very DISSAPOINTED with 28 days later.

This movie will not "do for alien movies... etc."

In my opinion, district 9 is amazing. "amazing".

I see the similarities with 'the fly' or even a couple other films, but in the end, district 9 is original and very impressive.

PERSONALLY: it had a 'city of god / minority report / blood diamond' feel to it.
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 am
Mr Jenkins

yourREIGNisOVER wrote:

personally, i would like to see Christopher come back with an army of aliens and do what no alien movie, that i have seen, has done. Which is actually coming, going to war with, and destroying the human race.

loved this movie.

In ‘Invasion of the body snatchers’ the aliens won.. i guess not so much a war, IMO still the best film in its genre for that reason...
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 pm
pedavis

this movie was fantastic. they left a lot to the imagination, a few loose ends, and opened it up for a sequel.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!

the scene where he's testing weapons was very intense and i loved the quick scene in the end of the alien making the flower. this movie is great.
Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next