Search
Register
owning your own bidness
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Travadone

IAmNiki wrote:
I started my own petcare business last october. I'm poor by some poples standards but id rather be doin my own thing than working for someone else. Though I guess really I still have to answer to my clients. We should be incorporated soon.. I've got high hopes that we will still be afloat and prospering by this october. It is exhausting and I'm more stressed now than ever, but one day ill be able to say I built my business from the ground up, and the possibility of that makes it worth it. Plus I play with dogs all day. Kinda hard to lose either way.
niki quit me.

</3
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:34 pm
z-spot22

Travadone wrote:
Zagadka,what's ur contact info.

Idea for trav shirt.

Trav, as long as it includes this portrait of you i'd seriously consider buying one

Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 pm
Travadone

Zspot,I will have a shirt,and I want you to wear one.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:59 pm
z-spot22

oh i will, but only if you promise to wear a matchin one and hold hands with me while we skip down the boardwalk eating snow cones
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:14 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

sorry trav, not only am i not printing anymore but z-spot and bandini were the only forum members to have their own shirt... plus you don't like my farts.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:19 pm
redball

Re: owning your own bidness  Reply with quote  

laurapalmer wrote:
Until last week I was like, this is amazing. and then i audited my timesheets and time i spend on doing stuff that i don't get paid for like taxes, proposals, marketing for myself, guest blogging, accounting and realized...this might not be a very good trade off.

I don't run my own business. I've always known that I couldn't do that, I'd need someone more business oriented to do it with me if anything. I do have some thoughts about this, though.

In this paragraph you say that you found your work rewarding, and you enjoyed it. (I'm taking the liberty of expanding "this is amazing", so correct me if I'm wrong.) Then you took a numbers look at your work/life balance and decided that maybe you're wrong. I have to ask you to re-evaluate these numbers and what they really mean.

Were you really satisfied before you analyzed this? If so, you should figure out what beyond the numbers made you satisfied. I understand that working like that can take its toll, but so can sitting in a cubicle staring at a screen 10 hours a day [read:my job]. Not to mention that the long-term potential for your type of work is far greater than most desk jobs, and that goes beyond monetary considerations.

What was the toll of all those hours? When you think of this, you should try to consider whether this became important before you started paying attention. In other words, are you horribly neglecting your family or your social life? Can you sacrifice either of those in hopes that the future will be better? Is having your own business and doing what you do worth these sacrifices?

You need to figure out why this didn't matter until you thought about it. You may be over-thinking. You may be burnt out. Or it could be that you had been neglecting other things in favor of this idea of doing it yourself and that isn't what is important in the long run. You sounded really positive before the numbers, so I'm guessing maybe it's more over-thinking than anything else. That's a guess, only you know the answer.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:36 pm
Ardamus315

I started my own small LLC just to put some of the music I have; nothing to quite my gig over at the moment but something official. Just to get it in writing from the lawyer costed me a few $$$. By the time that was done......my dumb-ass didn't have any start-up capital. Working on that now finally.......
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:02 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

I ran a record label for years with the goal of breaking even and putting out rad records.

I later ran a business that actually paid the bills. It was an attorney support service (bike messengers.) It ruled. We had a blast. The nature of the business was pretty 9-5 (or 9-7.) I usually wasn't there too late or on weekends. We were just starting to bring in a bunch of cash when I left for the opposite coast. Sold it and helped pay for school.

We also felt like it was worth the $$$ to pay someone to do payroll and taxes. That shit is a pain the in the ass.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:33 pm
Confidential

Mean, could you tell me how to set it up? first of all, I'm a horrible capitalist, but right now I live in a town where I can get from one end of town to the other in about 15-20 min. SO I'm thinking I could promote myself as a messenger to all the real estate/ lawyers/ accoutants in town that need to deliver documents but don't want to wait 2-3 days. i would undercut UPS. Not sure though, I'm not build for accumulation.
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:25 pm
poopsnack

Side note - Trav - it's spelled prejudice. There is no "D"
Cheers.
Post Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:59 am
xGasPricesx

poopsnack wrote:
Side note - Trav - it's spelled prejudice. There is no "D"
Cheers.

You haven't been paying close enough attention.
Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:10 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

my brother owned his own car audio business for almost 3 years
never late on the lease had inventory in the store and his investors came in one day said lock the door were done
it was fucked up
real shitty considering my brother gave up a 60 grand a year job to do his own thing

the hours we worked were crazy but it was doing something we liked so it wasnt to bad
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:46 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Confidential wrote:
Mean, could you tell me how to set it up? first of all, I'm a horrible capitalist, but right now I live in a town where I can get from one end of town to the other in about 15-20 min. SO I'm thinking I could promote myself as a messenger to all the real estate/ lawyers/ accoutants in town that need to deliver documents but don't want to wait 2-3 days. i would undercut UPS. Not sure though, I'm not build for accumulation.

I had already been in the business. I worked for a couple different companies. The last one was fucked up, so I left and took three people with me. Then we took their clients. Then they went out of business.

The key is getting business and knowing what you are doing. I think that would be hard to do unless you have already worked in the industry.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am
laurapalmer

Re: owning your own bidness  Reply with quote  

redball wrote:

I don't run my own business. I've always known that I couldn't do that, I'd need someone more business oriented to do it with me if anything. I do have some thoughts about this, though.

In this paragraph you say that you found your work rewarding, and you enjoyed it. (I'm taking the liberty of expanding "this is amazing", so correct me if I'm wrong.) Then you took a numbers look at your work/life balance and decided that maybe you're wrong. I have to ask you to re-evaluate these numbers and what they really mean.

Were you really satisfied before you analyzed this? If so, you should figure out what beyond the numbers made you satisfied. I understand that working like that can take its toll, but so can sitting in a cubicle staring at a screen 10 hours a day [read:my job]. Not to mention that the long-term potential for your type of work is far greater than most desk jobs, and that goes beyond monetary considerations.

What was the toll of all those hours? When you think of this, you should try to consider whether this became important before you started paying attention. In other words, are you horribly neglecting your family or your social life? Can you sacrifice either of those in hopes that the future will be better? Is having your own business and doing what you do worth these sacrifices?

You need to figure out why this didn't matter until you thought about it. You may be over-thinking. You may be burnt out. Or it could be that you had been neglecting other things in favor of this idea of doing it yourself and that isn't what is important in the long run. You sounded really positive before the numbers, so I'm guessing maybe it's more over-thinking than anything else. That's a guess, only you know the answer.

This is an interesting point. I think I had gotten complacent in existing business to a certain extent, so I hit an unexpected cash flow issue, with one client going out of business owing money and all that. My model is actually payment up front, which eliminates that being a big concern, but it still comes up sometimes. I got a check the next day from another client, and it all sort of washed.

I had my day off, got back in the grind with my business, and returned a few calls for interviews. Not sure where it all leads, but I had a third (and i think) final interview last thursday and one this thursday. I decided to pull myself from the job from last week, not sure where things will go with this week's interview.

I could be wrong, but I think that might put the writing on the wall that I will end up working for someone else again. I left out some extraneous life details, but there are a lot of things pushing me and staying on top of those things and my business might be more than I can do.

I would add, starting a business in a recession ain't easy.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:45 am
Smurf Stomper

I don't own it but I am basically running a family business. I don't like it. I am getting paid decent money but the amount of stress isn't worth it. Before I only had to worry about work between 8-5. Now I'm worrying about work constantly. I've also found that since I don't really like what I am doing anyway, trying to keep things above water is really hard.
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2