Search
Register
PFA summer tour has came and went! THANK YOU
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Jared Paul

SFR announcement wrote:
JUST ADDED! PFA In-Store performance at SLEEP's clothing spot FRIDAY!

Friday Aug 7
Someone Clothing & Gallery
2718 SW Kelly Ave
Portland OR 97201

5-7pm

directions to the shop at www.someoneclothing.com

Live performance by Prayers For Atheists
plus tons of clothing deals & amazing artwork throughout the building!

Many Thanks to Big Sleep for hookin' this up! We appreciate it homie. Here's pic's of PFA on our way to Seattle:

PFA Body Art

PFA VAN SIT

PFA Mountain Top
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared Paul

*Portland show tonight is a house gig at a spot called the Blood Bank. We're playing with Aquifer from Sacramento and a couple other live band Hip Hop/Punk acts from PDX. 9PM/Donation at the door! Where: House with loud music at the corner of SE 52nd Street & Bybee
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alan Hague

It'd be great to pack it in at Sub Mission tonight - it's a 125-person venue, so it'd be a nice, intimate show.

We've done a string of shows so far with one of the other acts on the bill called Aquifer. They're a live-instrument hip-hop band with 3 emcees, and they've put on a great show every time we've seen them so far. Thoughtful lyrics, and they're tight musically - definitely worth seeing.

Hope to see ya's there.

8/10: San Francisco, CA@Sub Mission - 9pm/$7
2183 Mission Street (between 17th and 18th)
www.myspace.com/balazogallery
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:46 pm
dri

I am staying very close to sub mission so I plan on making it tonight! Ill be going solo so I hope to see some sfr people there!
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:01 pm
Jared Paul

dri wrote:
I am staying very close to sub mission so I plan on making it tonight! Ill be going solo so I hope to see some sfr people there!

Shoot man, we've had a very hectic couple of days! I didn't even see this till now. We had such a good time at Submission. You didn't roll up and then bounce without sayin' Hey, did ya?
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:56 pm
Travadone

after seeing those pics i am certain you guys had butt sex.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:02 pm
Jared Paul

Travadone wrote:

The Road can be a very lonely place, big Trav. There's definitely more I could tell but the rules of tour are very clear in cases like these:
what happens in the van... STAYS in the van.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm
Travadone

Jared Paul wrote:
Travadone wrote:

The Road can be a very lonely place, big Trav. There's definitely more I could tell but the rules of tour are very clear in cases like these:
what happens in the van... STAYS in the van.
the pfa you guys made is the 2009 of ymca it seems.

i see the subliminals.

im smot.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:50 pm
Jared Paul

Address to Bay City issue in the other thread/other updates  Reply with quote  

adic wrote:
There are many names for the bay area, but bay city isn't one of them... Step up your game Jared...

I was out at Youth Nationals in Chicago a week before tour- the Bay Area Team made Finals Stage and deserved it for sure. There was a whole mob of them: 6 on the team, 15 or so including entourage/coaches/mentors, and more including Youth Speaks staff... and they were shouting Bay "City" all week long. I had never heard "Bay City" before that, but it made perfect sense to me. In that it sounds a bit more bad ass than Bay "Area", and I always think of the Bay as the NYC of the west, or of NYC as the Bay of the east.

Maybe these youngsters are out hipstering themselves? Maybe it's something that will catch on? Either way, I admit that after having heard them use the term I did misinterpret that to mean it was a much wider used phrase. When I gave props to Bay City from stage... maybe the room thought I was fucking weird? They roared every time, they prolly just heard "Bay" and started yelling right away without even hearing the "City"- thank god for dope screaming rowdy ass Bay Area crowds!

The good energy of the Seattle, PDX, Eureka, and Bay shows carried us into Sacramento where we got the ass kicking reality check that is always lurking around every corner on tour; or I guess life in general. This was to have been our 5th and final show with our good friends Aquifer- it was also their EP release show, and as expected there was a great crowd. We took the stage and ripped into the opening acapella and first song. Aquifer had been hyping their folks on PFA for 4 months now, and their crowd was as energized during our first song as it usually takes us 2 or 3 jams to get'em goin'. It really felt like we were gearing up to knock it out of the park, but before we could get Bike Song off the ground the House lights came up and the sound system was cut off- a good friend of mine out in support of the show was on the ground having a grand mal seizure and we cleared the club. It was the darkest moment I've ever witnessed or been a part of at a show (mine or anyone elses).

I ended getting thrown out of the club shortly after the paramedics arrived; the house manager was in a very worked up state and demanded that the close friends who accompanied my guy to the show be removed from him and they proceeded to insist that he go to the hospital even though the seizure was passing. Probably what he needed was space, fresh air, and to be gently taken home for the night (which is what he was asking for).

When I asked my friend if he wanted at least one of us to stay with him, which is not uncommon in emergency situations, the House Manager got super angry and physically pulled me away. I expressed calmly and without raising my voice that I was partially responsible, as someone who has been a friend for over 4 years and as the person whose show he had come to see, for making sure that he was safe. He told me that I need to "back off and let the paramedics do their job." I explained that this is something my guy has been through before, that he may not need to go to the hospital, that such a trip could be extremely expensive, and that I was certain he would prefer to have one close friend with him in this very tense situation. The manager then had the staff remove me from the club.

In the end they bullied my friend into going to the Hospital, where he was given an IV drip and over $500 in blood tests, but no special medicine or treatment. The rest of PFA stayed at the venue to support Aquifer for their record release set (which we're happy to report they knocked out of the box) and I went to the Hospital to make sure our friend was all set. He ended up resting in a gurney bed with a drink much as he would have done on his own couch or bed if he was allowed to be taken home as he had asked- only at the hospital he had to piss in a bed pan, was not allowed to stand until his release at 2:30am (nearly 5 hours later), and had to stew in the sick/tense hospital environment and anxiety of wondering whether or not they were going to try and hold him over night, how it would affect work the next day, his ability to maintain a driver's license, etc.

It's not lost on me that the tone of this post is biased. It's not the end of the world that he went to the Hospital- all in all, by the odds, it was maybe even the safest bet. But the fact is that he's 40 years old and has been dealing with this allll his life. He just wants to be a normal guy and after many experiences with seizures he's got a good idea of when he needs to go to a hospital and when he doesn't. The hospital excursion visibly heightened his anxiety and stress, and it sucked to watch him go through it. As a citizen in a functioning Democracy you have the right to refuse treatment... especially when the bill between ambulance ride, ER doctor exam, and blood tests totals nearly $2,000. He didnt want to go and it should have been his choice.

Thankfully, after sorting through all the paper work and his insurance, it was ascertained that his coverage took care of all the costs. But if it didn't he would've had serious trouble making rent/bills and if they pull his license because of this he will have to re-order all his whole fall semester and maybe even have to find a different job. I left him in the care of two of our friends around 1am and he was release a short time later. Talking with him yesterday, he sounded great and expressed that he feels great but is unfortunately and unnecessarily embarrassed about how the night went down.

We were so ready for the big Sacramento show and it was a tremendous disappointment to everyone that it had to be cut short, but I feel like we handled it as best we could and we'll rip it extra thorough the next time we play Sacramento. Planning another 4 week run for January now. Ultimately, we are just very thankful that our guy is ok, and that in the goddamn lottery of the universe we've got our health and sanity and such strong friends and support around us.

Last night was the Los Angeles Knitting Factory with the Mighty Sol.Illaquists of Sound. The promoter of the show had us listed as opening in the event schedule and a local act going after... but Alex, Di Vinci, and Swam weren't having any of it! hahahah. The promoter wasn't actually on hand and the Manager and Sound Person didn't want to change the order of the acts from the paper work without the promoter there. SOS politely but firmly made their wishes clear and got everything worked out.

Their bad ass video dj Verris Tower opened and took us all back to the golden age/Yo! Mtv Raps nostalgia with Jeru, Pharoahe Monch, Freestyle Fellowship, Super Cat, NWA, Kool Keith, and many more. Got me and Swam all amped up. Local act went on first, he was well meaning and well practiced but his set didn't really catch fire.

PFA went on next and we really put everything we had into it; dead-set on getting back on the bull after the events of the passed night, really wanting to make good on SOS's going to bat for us to get the order changed, playing the legendary Knitting Factory, and 3 of our Sacramento Aquifer fam having driven all the way down for the show! The set jumped off right away and we never looked back- BIG props to Swam Burger for dancing right up front for half the damn set and holdin' us down!

The Sol. Illa's went on to absolutely MURDER their set in front of a totally excited, pro-SOS crowd who'd been waiting all long time to see the head-liner. The new set caught me off guard- even better and more dynamic than when I had last seen them in 2006/2007 (which i didn't even think was possible). Soooo much more full, varied, and musical. I'll write more in their thread!

For now, suffice it to say that as we leave the West Coast portion of our trip PFA is feeling the like the goddamned West is our spot. From Seattle down to L.A. we experienced larger more excited crowds, made some powerful new friendships, and reconnected with old Fam.

Headed for New Mexico tonight... Feeling great. Less than two weeks left, home stretch!!
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 pm
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.

seems absolutely beautiful
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:18 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SFR announcement

From Jared:

PFA Austin tour date MOVED to Aug 19th!

The folks putting on our Austin show have a large event going on the day before and have asked us to join the two. We will now be kicking the PFA set at the official Grand Opening of the Austin Poetry Slam at its new home: The Independent@501 Studios (same place we were already booked just a day earlier). There will local bands, emcees, and multi-voice performance pieces from four Texas national poetry slam teams. The Independent is a kick ass Rock venue and the organizers of the event are expecting a packed house; they'll also be filming our entire set in HD for live webcast! We apologize for the last minute switch but this really feels like the right move in terms of having the best show possible and we're excited by the opportunity. Hope to see you there!

Prayers For Atheists in Austin!!
Wednesday, August 19th
The Independent@501 Studios
8pm/$5 - E. 5th & Brushy
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:51 pm
DS3000

Pictures  Reply with quote  

This is DS3000; I recorded and mixed the PFA CD, and I'm also on the road with the band as a sound engineer and photographer. I'll be posting more pictures as I sort through them, but here's one from the Knitting Factory show with Sollilaquists of Sound a few nights ago:

LA1
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm
JohnSchwan

Aye Jared,
I'm gonna be couch hopping from the 18th till the 21st in New Orleans so I can make your show, let me know if you guys are gonna need a place to crash and I'll talk to my friends.

Ryan
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:11 pm
Alan Hague

The Girl Cave got shut down by the Po Po so we had to find a new venue! Running a bad ass DIY venue out of your house is risky business and PFA definitely salutes the Girl Cave crew for putting on great shows and creating a safe space for touring independent acts. Luckily our friends out that way went right to work and already have another spot lined up in relatively close proximity. Miracle On 34th is a dope house show located in College Park about 20 minutes north and we're suped that everything got worked out quickly. Here's all the updated info, we'd love to see you there!

August 23rd, 2009
Miracle on 34th Street
7:00PM / $6
8907 34th Ave, College Park, Maryland 20740
Prayers for Atheists
Roebus One
Henry Mills & DJ Fleg
Post Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:02 pm
Jared Paul

WE'RE HOME SAFE AND SOUND- PROVIDENCE NEVER LOOKED SO BEAUTIFUL IN ALL MY LIFE! 34 days... 25 cities... so many more victories than we had any right to expect. Tour Gods! We are most thankful. Forum Gods! We have returned to lay our swords at the stair of your temple once more. ( :

Home coming show is Tomorrow Night!!

WEDNESDAY NIGHT - AUG. 26TH
Firehouse 13
Featuring:
Roz Raskin & The Rice Cakes, Prayers For Atheists, Formal Action,
and Math the Band
Doors@7:30pm/Show@8:30
$5 Admission/$10 = Admission + Rice Cakes brand new record!
18+
http://firehouse13.org/calendar_new.php

*The show is doubling as Roz's Record Release Show & the PFA Homecoming show. The band is feeling confident & ready to rip. Come on out if you can, we'd love to see ya!
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:36 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next