Search
Register
Prayers For Atheists IN STORES NOW! Streaming EP, reviews
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Alan Hague

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

On a completely unrelated note, I just discovered that it's Shark Week on Discovery Channel, and it upsets me that I'm missing it. /sigh/
Post Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:19 pm
futuristxen

Jared Paul wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Growing up listening to RATM did you ever think you'd end up having yourself compared to Zach De La Rocha in a music review?

You know a lot about many different styles of music and I respect your opinion a ton, I'm pretty sure that you don't think the PFA songs sound too heavily RATM influenced... but it seems like something the band is going to have to deal with as things progress, do you mind if i ask how you feel about the comparisons?

I think you sound like RATM in the sense that you both have political songs. But I didn't think the comparison was made negatively. If silly indie reviewers want to say it snidely, I say you play that angle up and put it out at the kids who DID grow up on RATM. Surely those kids are fiending for what you guys do after what...a decade since the last RATM album?

The style of music you play with PFA is easily the genre of music I know the least about. So I don't know what comparison I'd make. Minor Threat, Fugazi? Actually I just asked my Girlfriend who was listening in the other room, and she says she thought it was RATM. She says vocally you sound like Zach De La Rocha, but she agrees with me that instrumentally that you guys sound more like Minor Threat or Fugazi.

I don't think that's a bad thing. That was a big band for a lot of reasons. And getting compared to De La Rocha is a good thing IMO. He was one of the best front men of a generation. Even on this forum which talks shit about everybody, there's lots of love for him.

Do you not like RATM? What does that comparison mean to you?

I mean not for nothing, but I would assume if you were trying to be pretentious and complicated about that sort of thing, you and Alan would be playing some sort of German Prog Rock Electronica or something.

What was the last band to even get compared with RATM and have the politics and activism to back it up?
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:52 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

For the record, I hear about zero Fugazi influence.

Also, that banner ad rubs me the wrong the way.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 am
futuristxen

the mean wrote:
For the record, I hear about zero Fugazi influence.

For the record you'd be infinitely more qualified to talk about what they sound like than me, given your predilictions.

I almost said that in my post.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:41 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

I already did.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 pm
mzehe916

the mean wrote:

You know, I have to say that it rubbed me the wrong way as well. What was it with you? I think for me it, and I know this is rather lame, but the focus on Jared and Alan and not the band as a whole kind of irked me. I know, weak.

I will say that I enjoyed the music. I'll check you guys out when you come to Germany, for sure.
Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:34 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well. hmm.

The band is Jared Paul and Alan Hague.

Alan Hague wrote and played all the music on the album. He also did back up vocals.
Jared Paul did all the lead vocals.

That was kind of the point of (that part of) the banner.
Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:36 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

Not a big deal, but here is a serious, hard hitting political album being trumped like a star-vehicle.

Like, du-du-du-dum ladies and gentlemen, I present to you JARED PAUL and ALAN HAGUE as........

PRAYERS FOR ATHEISTS!!!!!! [cue fake applause]

Just didn't seem to fit with the feel of the album (EP) itself.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:58 am
Captiv8

the mean wrote:
Not a big deal, but here is a serious, hard hitting political album being trumped like a star-vehicle.

Like, du-du-du-dum ladies and gentlemen, I present to you JARED PAUL and ALAN HAGUE as........

PRAYERS FOR ATHEISTS!!!!!! [cue fake applause]

Just didn't seem to fit with the feel of the album (EP) itself.

Keep in mind that most of the people that will see that banner know of Jared Paul, and if they're a regular on this forum, Alan Hague. If they don't know even of those dudes, now they do. Or maybe they become curious, like just who is Jared Paul? Why two first names? Who is Alan Hague? Is he Dutch? Then they do a little research, Conspiracy to Riot, poetry, etc., and they decide to check out PFA.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:44 am
Jared Paul

futuristxen wrote:
Jared Paul wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
Growing up listening to RATM did you ever think you'd end up having yourself compared to Zach De La Rocha in a music review?

You know a lot about many different styles of music and I respect your opinion a ton, I'm pretty sure that you don't think the PFA songs sound too heavily RATM influenced... but it seems like something the band is going to have to deal with as things progress, do you mind if i ask how you feel about the comparisons?

I think you sound like RATM in the sense that you both have political songs. But I didn't think the comparison was made negatively. If silly indie reviewers want to say it snidely, I say you play that angle up and put it out at the kids who DID grow up on RATM. Surely those kids are fiending for what you guys do after what...a decade since the last RATM album?

The style of music you play with PFA is easily the genre of music I know the least about. So I don't know what comparison I'd make. Minor Threat, Fugazi? Actually I just asked my Girlfriend who was listening in the other room, and she says she thought it was RATM. She says vocally you sound like Zach De La Rocha, but she agrees with me that instrumentally that you guys sound more like Minor Threat or Fugazi.

I don't think that's a bad thing. That was a big band for a lot of reasons. And getting compared to De La Rocha is a good thing IMO. He was one of the best front men of a generation. Even on this forum which talks shit about everybody, there's lots of love for him.

Do you not like RATM? What does that comparison mean to you?

I mean not for nothing, but I would assume if you were trying to be pretentious and complicated about that sort of thing, you and Alan would be playing some sort of German Prog Rock Electronica or something.

What was the last band to even get compared with RATM and have the politics and activism to back it up?

Word. Most of the comparisons have been positive so far and not snide at all- which I'll admit feels nice to hear, but is strange because we don't feel like the sound quality or the song structure of our tracks resembles any of the Rage stuff. Never the less, we know all the Rage albums well, and I imagine it's impossible to not have been influenced by their work. Alan and I are both serious fans of Public Enemy and System of a Down (who we also perceive to be part of the same lineage of sincere and amazing political bands that have achieved huge main stream success), and we both also feel that Zach is not only a great emcee, but also an often underappreciated writer.

We'll deal with the comparisons as they come; nowhere near all of the upcoming PFA album is political, but if the comparisons help us Propagandhize against factory farms, free trade, and un-sustainable technology during the tracks that are than we're allllll about it.

As for the banner? We didn't make it but were definitely fine with it. Not because it was so polished and flashy but because nobody knows who the fuck we are and it felt really good to be presented with authority and confidence. Being a DIY road dog has gotten me a lot of respect in certain circles- now that I'm on a label I keep getting the same semi smug question from folks I know on small labels or no label at all: "...it's cool that they're putting your project out, but really, is the label actually doing anything for you? ...like besides making you a website or whatever?"

And I try to hide my excitement, lest it be perceived as gloating, but still respond confidently and appreciatively: "Yes. My label has done a shit ton for me. They believe in what we do, open all kinds of doors, and have been kicking ass left and right."

In addition to that, Alan & I never had a complete band during any of the writing and recording of this album. We started making it alone, and we finished making it alone. Our good friend Mo Dorez contributed some dope bass lines, but Alan wrote most of the bass, all the guitar, all the drums, and played them all in the studio as well. He composed the song structure for all these tracks on his own and then I wrote to them. We had tried finding loyal, hardworking, and dependable band mates before but it just never panned out. Only after the album was done did we locate folks who could commit long term and follow through. Up to the point of the banner being made the only core members of Prayers For Atheists were Jared and Alan, and we feel SFR presented that in an honest way.

Last edited by Jared Paul on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:48 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sparrow

Last edited by sparrow on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:47 am
Jared Paul

Thanks homie, we're hustlin'. Everyday. We gonna see you somewhere out here on the lonesome road?
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
neveragainlikesheep

The funny thing is that whenever I see this thread and the other one pop up I think "Seems like we need some prayers for Christians nowadays." Atheists seem to not be calling for people to die so much as the other guys.

But having listened to the myspace tracks, I'm kind of surprised to hear people compare this to Rage. The only thing that is similar is the political tone. Anyways it's great, Jared.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:01 pm
Alan Hague

neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Atheists seem to not be calling for people to die so much as the other guys.

I don't know; I mean, atheists get pretty violent and insane. Just look at these godless fanatics here:

Sac1

(us and the Aquifer crew at their house in Sacramento)
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm
neveragainlikesheep

Alan Hague wrote:
neveragainlikesheep wrote:
Atheists seem to not be calling for people to die so much as the other guys.

I don't know; I mean, atheists get pretty violent and insane. Just look at these godless fanatics here:

Sac1

(us and the Aquifer crew at their house in Sacramento)

Oh no, an atheist madarassa!

Looks like Mr. Yuck on the left is about to stone a small child of the Baha'i faith.. Disgusting.. ha.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next