View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

no face palm

now that IS lame
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:48 pm
futuristxen

I like threads like this because the sort of close study of both the general message board dynamics of this board, and the specific perceptions of people on it is always pretty interesting. The histrionics surrounding trav specifically have always been kind of astounding. Though not entirely unpredictable.

I would also say the current incarnation of the board is much more interested in self analysis and introspection than it is actually talking about anything. I think the shit talking to Icarus crossed a line way far back, but it also was not entirely unprovoked.

The way Trav acts is not entirely desperate from the box a lot of you throw him in on this board. It's maybe 5 percent actually deed, and 95 percent perception/reputation. When you read a post from Trav, you expect a certain thing, and regardless of whether it's actually there or not, you act the same.

None of this is exactly that diffrent from Phil, who depending on the whims of board perception swings wildly from horrible troll, to dedicated father and great dude.

Either of them just represent larger behaviors in the community in terms of general over all mood. These days the mood of the board seems to be dismissive, cantankerous, cranky, and bored. It's no wonder that the only interesting things we talk about anymore are ourselves.

Not for nothing, but Trav is hardly the first person to ever talk shit about someone consistently on this message board, probably not even the first to go at Icarus specifically. But it's just there's so little else going on, that it sort of stands out as this iceberg in the water.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 pm
futuristxen

Also, I don't view Icarus as some sort of "top dog" or "authority". I think he's a great guy, and I'd love to meet him and hang out with him sometime. But I don't see him or anyone else in any sort of authoritative role. And I don't think the bulk of the board does either.

The great thing about Icarus is that he is articulate and intelligent, while avoiding putting me asleep. I won't lie some of the more "respected" posters right now put me to fucking sleep. You (blanket anonymous you) should be writing instruction manuals, not posting on message boards.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

trav is a ron i know he is
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 pm
Mikal kHill

Sage Francis wrote:
I used to get beers for my dad too. Hell, my mom used to send me to the store to buy her cigarettes. That's such a random memory.

Both of these things are true for me. My dad started making me open his beers, though, because it pissed me off so bad i would just bang them on the counter and shake them like a yoohoo before I'd give them to him.

-kHill
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:40 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

my dad drinks and smokes so much he now has a hole in his neck and the motherfucker still drinks and smokes too
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:48 am
headcase

Sage Francis wrote:
I used to get beers for my dad too. Hell, my mom used to send me to the store to buy her cigarettes. That's such a random memory.
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:45 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

haha mortalthoughts. wasn't your name originally blunted in michigan???
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:10 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

vintge wrote:
haha mortalthoughts. wasn't your name originally blunted in michigan???

yup and i still am
one step up from an alcoholic i suppose
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:32 am
neveragainlikesheep

on the matter of trav and phil, i am officially pro-skub as of the tubgirl offensive.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:44 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I did the cigarette thing too.

Mom would park the ride outside the corner store, i'd hop out and run in quick and grab 'em for her. I'd say "2 Marlboro Reds in a box." The cashier, a 40-something Chaldean woman named Linda who never seemed to have a day off of work, would say "$5". I could barely could see above the counter and would reach up and slide the five in the little stainless steel under-the-bulletproof-glass money exchange slide. When I'd get the smokes in return, I'd always get excited when she'd put them in the little spinning chamber for grocery bags and I'd get to spin it around to grab 'em... and I'd get disappointed if she'd just give 'em to me in the slide mechanism.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:10 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14