Search
Register
Sage outside the US
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

zerk

Re: Sage outside the US  Reply with quote  

Flossin wrote:

-how popular/unpopular is Sage (or any SFR artists) in your country? Do you know many people in your country/city that are listening to Sage?

Well, a couple of older generation (I'm talking 25+, which is probably insulting to some of yous) friends of mine appreciate or love him, other than that, as far as I know, I'm one of the selected few.

Flossin wrote:
-was there ever a Sage Francis show in your country? How was it? (I'm especially interested in this if you're from a country where not everybody speaks English. Did it completely ruin the interactions with the crowd and stuff like that?)

There was a show near me a couple of years back but I didn't know Sage back then, or the whole indier-rap scene in general that well. Wasn't really my cup of tea back then. It kills me now, since I know that I probably have to go through a lot of effort and balls if I ever want to see him live.

Flossin wrote:
-how did you start listening to Sage and from where did you learn about him?

A friend of mine turned me onto Aesop back in early 08, and that was mainly what I listened to for the following year or so. I then got interested in the whole Anticon thing, so I downloaded (yeah, I said & did it) the Giga Single release and immediately fell for Inherited Scars. Stood out in every possible way a song can. No disrespect to the other awesome artists appearing on that album, but this song stole the show for me.

Flossin wrote:
-what is it that made you like it?

The honesty, delivery and how sincere it all was. It didn't even feel like I was listening to hip-hop but something.. Way awesomer........

Flossin wrote:

-what other rap music do you listen to? (underground/mainstream/whatever)

Well, I've loved hip-hop since I was a kid (The Beasties, Run-DMC, early Busta), but until I started listening to Aes, I hadn't really heard any hip-hop that caught my attention enough to actually re-instate my interest for the genre.

Hope this was helpful to the OP, and thanks for posting a thread I could safely partake in with my first post!
Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
prolyphic81

Ok P Dawg.
Post Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 pm
monkeyseemonkeydo

Prontoid wrote:
Flossin wrote:

-how popular/unpopular is Sage (or any SFR artists) in your country? Do you know many people in your country/city that are listening to Sage?
-was there ever a Sage Francis show in your country? How was it? (I'm especially interested in this if you're from a country where not everybody speaks English. Did it completely ruin the interactions with the crowd and stuff like that?)
-how did you start listening to Sage and from where did you learn about him?
-what is it that made you like it?
-what other rap music do you listen to? (underground/mainstream/whatever)

Sage is probably equally popular in Melbourne per capita as in the states - he's done some shows down here a few years back and could fill around 400-800 person venues. Aesop Rock, Cage, Atmosphere and El-P all had no problems filling the same venues.

I dare say his popularity has possibly waned over the last few years down here - mostly due to the transient nature of people into 'underground' music here.

I started listening to Sage in 2000 when I was was digging on Anticon, Def Jux and alot of the rappers that the internet popularised around this time. I discovered him through friends recommendation and Napster. It wasn't until Personal Journals dropped that I really rated him.

Sage's music really spoke to me at that time (I was around 20). For a while he was pretty much my favourite rapper - not on a hiphopinfinity level of jocking but not far off.

I been listening to rap music since 1988, I've been into pretty much everything in some shape or form.

When he did a few shows in Melbourne one tour I was really suprised he filled that jazz club for his spoken word show.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 am
smake

Flossin wrote:
Thanks for the replies everybody.

@smake, thanks for the links. Seems like it's been a real good show and the interview was pretty funny too!

Why does Sage doesn't wanna tour in Europe anymore though?

@Ananasakäämä, I kinda like 'Sick of Wasting' more than I like HTDD too. For some reason HTDD is my least fav Sage album.

I don't know the exact reason why Sage doesn't want to tour Europe anymore, he has stated it on this forum though. I believe it just isn't worth it to go to all that trouble to come all the way over to Europe to play in small venues for small crowds. It's a lot of hassle I can imagine and his tours in the US are packed. Combined with his busy schedule I can imagine him being that reluctant to tour over in Europe. For the exact reason you should ask him though. With a bit of luck you can still catch him though, last year he was with B. Dolan in Belgium (and France I believe).

And I can't believe someone would like Sick of Wasting better than HTDD. Don't get me wrong, Sick of Wasting is a great, fun mixtape, but HTDD is just one big, cohesive record with overall quality. Tne entire record feels as one, and to top it off the artwork is amazing and the booklet contains lyrics and backstories. Plus it has tracks like Black Out On White Night, Civil Obedience, Waterline, etc.....ah well, to each their own.

Last edited by smake on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:06 am
Floss

Flossin wrote:
Hi, I've been reading some threads on this forum for a while but didn't post before. Don't hate on me if this thread has been done a hundred times already.

Your name... It needs to change. There's only room for one lurking flosser around here.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:49 am
Majawala

clever market research mr. francis.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:56 am
ROTTY

Flossin wrote:

Why does Sage doesn't wanna tour in Europe anymore though?

I know he had some bad experiances Europe. Also Strange famous records probably takes up a lot more time. But really i just think he is lazy.

This is all a guess.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 am
Eric B

Shinigami wrote:
one time i got a free Quizno's sub cause the guy at the register liked my Sage hoodie, true story.

kinda surprising for Iowa.

Was it Iowa City? They have a great scene.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:19 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I've been playing outside the US since 99. It's been ten years.
I've flown to Europe between 15 or 20 times since then.
Maybe more.

Been to Australia a couple times.
Been to New Zealand once.

Wouldn't mind going back to any place I've ever visited on either side of the planet, but I'd really like to do shows in South America, Asia Land, and Africa if at all possible. I've gotten offers in the past but they all fell through. Actually, I want to play in any country I've never been to before.

I'll certainly be back to Europe. I'll most likely play shows in Australia again. I've had some great experiences out there, but it certainly doesn't pay the bills the way touring the states does (when our economy is good anyway.)

who knows...who am I kidding? I just want to be at home and watch the travel channel. Stupid.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2