Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

CriticalTheory_Breakfast

I opened this thread four pages in and was pleasantly surprised to see both "The Room" and "Visioneers" mentioned on the first page.

I couldn't recommend these films highly enough. Just saw Visioneers the other day, fucking awesome.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm
Confidential

I ahppened to catch this Luis Resto documentary called "Cornered"... man that was gut wrenching. The humanity!

The film "Cornered" documenting a boxer’s despairing journey as a result of his apparent involvement in one of sports’ darkest hours, has been selected from thousands of applicants to be showcased at this year’s 29th Annual IFP Marketplace – scheduled for September 16th through 21st in New York City.

For the first time ever, "Cornered" reveals the real story behind the infamous Resto-Collins scandal – a boxing match turned 30-minute criminal assault. The film uncovers new information about the fight, picks up with the reeling lives of those still affected 24 years later, and ultimately produces an unexpected twist.

Cornered chronicles the life of boxer Luis Resto, who in 1983, had seemingly fulfilled a fighter’s ultimate dream by upsetting the previously undefeated Billy Collins Jr. in front of a capacity crowd at Madison Square Garden. Resto’s post-fight victory celebration proved fleeting however amongst allegations that padding had previously been removed from his gloves – vilifying his reputation and sending the brutally-beaten Collins into a tragic downward spiral.

The film’s director, Eric Drath, first met the Puerto Rican-born Resto seven years ago in a rundown gym in the Bronx. Working as a boxing agent at the time, Drath perceived Resto as taciturn and humble.

“The glaring contradiction I saw between Resto’s quiet, restrained character and the premeditated violence of his convicted crime lay on my mind. For years, I have researched his court case and developed a relationship with him and his family. I hope to uncover the disparity between what really happened and the account presented to the jury that found him guilty. This documentary is a personal account of my pursuit to find justice; to delve into, and understand the issues that haunt this unassuming man,” stated Drath.

Cornered is produced and directed by Eric Drath, edited by EMMY Award winner, Aaron Lubarsky (HBO’s Journey’s with George). Also involved in the making of this film; Jenna Rosher (Academy Award nominated Jesus Camps).

To see a 90-second trailer of the film, go to: www.youtube.com/ericdrath
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 pm
Sarcastro

ROTTY wrote:
Martyers. (French)

Really liked this movie.It was two seperate movies(you will understand this when you awatch it.) It was also mixture of stolen imagery from Hostel, the Ring and Funny Games but makes all these films seem like Bambi.

Martyrs.
Worst. Ending. Ever.

in fact worst last 30 minutes to a movie.
If it kept going like the first hour I would've loved this movie, but that ridiculous second half made me hate myself for watching it in the first place. Like this is it? this convoluted piece of shit is the ending? fuck that noise.

*SPOILERS*
Everything that happened after the people busted in the house and found Anna was just plain crap. If you're going to show torture in a horror movie, actually SHOW TORTURE. Fuckin Lucy and that bitch got fucked up but all we get to see is the aftermath, and when it's Anna's turn it's all crappy food and punches to the face? that's not torture, that's growing up poor. No wonder she had no problems with it.
Post Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:53 pm
ROTTY

Sarcastro wrote:
ROTTY wrote:
Martyers. (French)

Really liked this movie.It was two seperate movies(you will understand this when you awatch it.) It was also mixture of stolen imagery from Hostel, the Ring and Funny Games but makes all these films seem like Bambi.

Martyrs.
Worst. Ending. Ever.

in fact worst last 30 minutes to a movie.
If it kept going like the first hour I would've loved this movie, but that ridiculous second half made me hate myself for watching it in the first place. Like this is it? this convoluted piece of shit is the ending? fuck that noise.

*SPOILERS*
Everything that happened after the people busted in the house and found Anna was just plain crap. If you're going to show torture in a horror movie, actually SHOW TORTURE. Fuckin Lucy and that bitch got fucked up but all we get to see is the aftermath, and when it's Anna's turn it's all crappy food and punches to the face? that's not torture, that's growing up poor. No wonder she had no problems with it.

I agree. The end scene was the worst of the worst. Everything leading up to the the last chapter i liked! It had great potential...Shame. Still worth watching.
Post Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 am
Captiv8

Watched Mulholland Drive for the first time last night. It makes a loose kind of sense to me, like trying to sort through the events of a dream. I don't know if that was Lynch's intent or not, but it's certainly in following with his approach to movie-making. There were some very confusing elements to it and, while I can appreciate not wanting to make a movie with all the ends tied, I'd also like to know what the fuck is going on. So I'd have to conclude that too much is left up for interpretation, and for some that's a really good thing. Me? I'm wondering who the blackened bum was, why there was the initial dinner scene involving him, and why he had that stupid blue box toward the end. What's in the box? Silencio? Sometimes I think Lynch is too clever for his own good. And I guess it was totally necessary to show the two lead actresses boobs. Twice.

So I'm going to have to place Blue Velvet as my favorite Lynch film so far. Lost Highway, in my mind, was garbage. I haven't seen Eraserhead or the Straight Story yet, so we'll see.
Post Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am
JohnnyTruant

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

Haven't seen too many eastern movies mentioned, but this is a favorite of mine. It's a bit over the top, but some pretty interesting stuff. They were planning on making an American Version, but then virginia tech happened and i think they put the project on hold.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:47 am
Captiv8

Watched (500) Days of Summer last night. While they way the relationship concludes is a little too idyllic for me, I really liked the way the story was told. There was some really believable dialogue, a touching moments presented in a non-hokey way. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has really come a long way since 3rd Rock from the Sun. Dude was on point the whole movie, and, it must be said, was always wearing some snappy outfits. I'm not really one to notice costume stuff in a non-period piece, but this was good stuff. Same for Zooey Deschanel. And what's great about her is that she's pretty but not at the same time. Real, in other words. She was sort of frustrating to watch, but that was strictly related to her character and not her acting. Recommended.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Just watched my favorite movie of all time again, and realized that I don't recommend it often enough.

"Network" is one of the best screenplays of all time, imo. Excellent, excellent classic film.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 am
Captiv8

CriticalTheory_Breakfast wrote:
Just watched my favorite movie of all time again, and realized that I don't recommend it often enough.

"Network" is one of the best screenplays of all time, imo. Excellent, excellent classic film.

Agreed. I can't think of any other film offhand that rivals Network's dialogue or social commentary. Just all-around brilliant, full of so many dynamic scenes.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:16 am
futuristxen

In the Year of 13 Moons

Really heartfelt. Pretty amazing. This scene in particular was.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:20 pm
Sarcastro

watched Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus last night. Definitely recommend if you like B-movies. Lorenzo Lamas and the rest of the cast are (intentionally) hilariously bad. and how can you go wrong with giant animals.
Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:48 am
adic

Favorite sports movies...

Football - Any Given Sunday
Basketball - White Men Catch Jump
Baseball - Sandlot
BASEketball - BASEketball
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:08 pm
Captiv8

Watched Cloverfield last night and really enjoyed it. I've heard a lot of whiners say "My stomach was queasy because of the camera work" and "It was too documentary for me" and "But you never find out what the monster is or where it came from." Fuck all of that noise. The documentary-style camera work made the whole thing much more intimate and narrow, which I think was a good thing when dealing with the magnitude of everything that's happening. Which leads into my belief that the movie isn't about the monster at all, but the characters themselves. Having the camera with occasional flashback snippets brought more depth to something that could have been on some b-movie badness. The monster itself was only relevant insofar as to establish the basic plot. Great movie that had me tense and anticipatory the whole time.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:48 am
Sarcastro

Cloverfield is actually good on dvd. in theatres I was ready to throw up.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:28 am
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

Sarcastro wrote:
Cloverfield is actually good on dvd. in theatres I was ready to throw up.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next