Search
Register
ads and how they fuck with the kids
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

td3

ok
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:19 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cru Jones

not to criticize, but they might as well have given her the smokes.

if i'm not mistaken, this little girl is being tutored by Surge's girl.
the fact that she is guiding her with her education shows the little girl that she is a model of good behavior.
as an 11 year girl, she is incapable of reasoning in her head, "this older and trustworthy person may be good in school but happens to make poor decisions when it comes to her health"
for god's sake this little girl is whole heartedly looking up to surge's girl and she lights one up in front of her.
THAT is more powerful than ANY ad campaign or product placement that the tobacco companies can produce.

this little girl now has in engraved in her head that her older and wiser mentor can smoke and still be graced with the idea of perfection, so what is to stop her from picking up the habit as she grows older.

no amount of government backed programs or parental talks can remove the image of her tutor looking cool while smoking a cigarette and throwing a frisbee with her boyfriend.

i'm not saying it's the your girl's fault surge.
i'm simply saying that tobacco companies revel in the fact that we as a culture of people are what really push thier product.
the image your girl gave to that emerging mind is much more powerful than a silly camel or jingle.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:49 pm
Lazy Eyed Pea

[quote="Cru Jones"]this little girl is whole heartedly looking up to surge's girl and she lights one up in front of her.quote]

Fucking word.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:27 pm
Lazy Eyed Pea

fuck computers
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:29 pm
angrymushroom

FireFly wrote:
Don't forget Mcdonalds who have comercials targeted at three year olds. Fuckin' scumbags. . .

that's the fucking truth...

big food is the next big tabacco...
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:36 pm
Dionysus

I don't smoke now, but I have off and on - and never once have I ever lit one up or even flashed a pack in front of my younger sister. I also took care NOT to light up and went as far as to hide my smokes if I saw younger kids around.

WHY?

not because I was ashamed, not because I felt I HAD to, and not because I'm too pussy to exercise my "rights". It's because as a teenager, and now a young adult, I know that I am an example and role model to kids. All older kids are, and as easily as I seem to attract interest from kids, I realize that my behavior will have an affect on them.

Yes, advertising sucks, but does life really imitate art, or is it the other way around? It's pretty hard to tell some times.

I honestly feel that young adults/teenagers who smoke in front od kids, especially ones they know, are either completely thoughtless and not cognizant of the possible effects, are completely self-absorbed and feel "entitled" to do whatever they please, or have bought into the hype and are trying to look cool, themselves. Some folks make an argument that addiction is stronger than any of these other thoughts, but I have consciously avoided becoming addicted to anything, though I smoked for several years, and the argument rings hollow to me. I think that "addiction" is an excuse. It could be overcome, or ignored, if desired, and this just supports my earlier opinion - thoughtless, selfish, or ignorant.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:30 pm
Dionysus

- and, RS, I am not specifically picking on your GF, just continuing the discussion and sharing my views, unpopular though they may turn out to be.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:32 pm
Nope

I was giving my girl shit the whole time for even BRINGING THE CIGS

she curses in front of the kid (which isn't a big deal, but as a TUTOR it is)

and she outright can't control her

she's not tutor material...I told her this right to her face...she's horrible

it got to a point where I had to play the tutor because the kid had gotten out of control (she just screams "what am I supposed to do?")

kids aren't complicated creatures here...if you were a kid, you know how these fucks are...the girl responded to me easily, so I got her back on track

but yeah, my girl pissed me the fuck off that day...weak character
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:01 am
Nope

as far as addiction...it's a real bitch if it's a deadly one

but people do use it as a copout...they don't even try...they're just like "i'm addicted, what are you gonna do, you know?" and light one up

shit you could at least try and give it a shot...

but I've seen cases where it's really bad, and there's really nothing the person can do about it. It's becomes a true "mental case" if you ask me.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:11 am
weedy420

i can say that i started smoking to get all the joe camel stuff, and the funny part is i never ordered anything with the camel cash, or marlboro miles
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:39 pm

XpeetX

Smoking is the coolest.

Everyone has fallen prey to advertising in some for another, even if it isn't smoking.

Big tobacco is horrible, smoking is horrible, fast food is horrible, setting bad examples is horrible.

If it really bugs you do something about it, educate yourself and then spread what you've learned. However if you really haven't caught on to the fact that cigarrettes are addictive and cancer causing then maybe you deserve to smoke them.

Lead by example.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:32 pm
The_Human

weedy420 wrote:
i can say that i started smoking to get all the joe camel stuff, and the funny part is i never ordered anything with the camel cash, or marlboro miles

This quote kills me for some reason.

Especially the name.

The hottest girl I know smokes, and its a shame. We went to the park yesterday, she had to smoke. I pick her up, she had to smoke, I took her home, she had to smoke. 3 in one day, she swears shes not addicted but Im not that stupid. If she has 1 flaw, thats it.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 6:52 am
weedy420

if she is only smoking three smokes a day you might wanna be thankful.. most people smoke a pack to three so three smokes isnt as bad as chain smoking. and why does my quote kill you???? its true i started smoking to become cool and get camel cash, i was 12 what do you know at 12. all i did know is the local indian at the village mart sold me cartons till i turned 16 when they started the big anit-smoking campain. then i couldnt get smokes till i turned 18. aint that some shit, now i dont smoke anymore and it use to be three packs of newports a day.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 8:31 am

The_Human

weedy420 wrote:
if she is only smoking three smokes a day you might wanna be thankful.. most people smoke a pack to three so three smokes isnt as bad as chain smoking. and why does my quote kill you???? its true i started smoking to become cool and get camel cash, i was 12 what do you know at 12. all i did know is the local indian at the village mart sold me cartons till i turned 16 when they started the big anit-smoking campain. then i couldnt get smokes till i turned 18. aint that some shit, now i dont smoke anymore and it use to be three packs of newports a day.

It kills me in a good way, I was laughing really hard. And your name is pretty funny. So you quit smoking?? Well congratulations but where did all of that addiction energy go?? It doesnt just dry up and die if you know what I am saying. And yeah, 3 isnt that bad, but man its still enough to bother me.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 8:34 am
Beep

aah  Reply with quote  

when i was about 5 years old, i was walking around my house with a smoke, i took from my mothers pack. I was not smoking it, just putting it in my mouth acting cool. So my mother asked me "Do you think smoking is cool?" I said "Yea!" she asked me "So, you want to smoke?" I said "YEA!!" so she gave it to me, i smoked it, I have never vomited so badly ever.. EVER! I still remember that shit to this day, Because of that day, i will never smoke agian. Mom's and Dad's should do this to all their kids haha
Post Thu May 01, 2003 8:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next