Lets Boycott Whole Foods
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

icarus502
kung-pwn master

Lets Boycott Whole Foods  Reply with quote  

From DailyKos:

Quote:

Since no one at Whole Foods Market Inc., can tell CEO and co-founder John Mackey just how bad he screwed up, I will. Mr. Mackey, your extremist views on employee benefits and unionization have, lucky for you, mostly flown under the progressive radar to date. Which is why pushing that luck with this screed on healthcare suggests you are either out of your flippin mind or have suffered a lapse in business acumen not seen since New Coke. And in the WSJ no less:

Quote:

While we clearly need health-care reform, the last thing our country needs is a massive new health-care entitlement that will create hundreds of billions of dollars of new unfunded deficits and move us much closer to a government takeover of our health-care system. Instead, we should be trying to achieve reforms by moving in the opposite direction—toward less government control and more individual empowerment.

Mr. Mackey, I'm not sure if you understand who it is that shops at your organic grocery chain: a lot of progressives, vegetarians, professional and amateur athletes, and others who care so much about the environment and what they eat that they're still willing to shell out three bucks for an organic orange, even in the midst of the worst recession in sixty years. I was proud WFMI was based in my hometown of Austin, and defended it against most of the conservatives I knew growing up there, many of whom still hold your entire business in utter contempt. Some of them ridiculed me for shopping at Whole Foods, with all the "tree huggers and granola eaters and hippies" who, incidentally, made you a millionaire.

Mr. Mackey, you just shat all over your best customers. Given the years of pseudonymous postings on Yahoo finance slamming a competitor you were quietly trying to acquire at the time, double talk and unethical behavior arguably seems to be becoming a habit for you. So I will never, ever, shop at your stores again, unless you retract that op-ed, apologize for stabbing us in the back, or resign. In this day and age, it's just too easy to locate competitors. Until then, well, judging by the Whole Foods community forum, not to mention the discussion in Hopeful Skeptic's and Aptoklas' diaries, you've finally managed to universally piss off everyone. I predict the next few weeks of your life are going to suck, immensely.

I'm for it. My monthly food budget is somewhere around $700, most of it spent at WF. If you add wine, forgetaboutit — I probably spend $5000/year there. Fuck this POS, I'm going to the fucking Farmer's Market (where I should have been from the getgo).
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:52 pm
Scottie

Trader Joe's and the Farmers Market is where it is at.

I spend about $25 a month at whole foods and the rest of my dollars go to those two places. Since making the full switch off of whole foods my food expenses are down over 30%.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:56 pm
note1

That Op-ed was just full of horrible ideas.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204251404574342170072865070.html
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:00 pm
Confidential

I stopped after I saw the Margaret Thatcher quote. This isn't the least bit surprising.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:02 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

I'm not happy about this.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Confidential wrote:
I stopped after I saw the Margaret Thatcher quote. This isn't the least bit surprising.

No. I knew the guy was a prick too but now I can take out my frustrations about all the selfish pricks and crazy whitefolk with guns out on somebody. It makes me feel better. I will spend no money there.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:05 pm
note1

Quote:

Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars. What is insured and what is not insured should be determined by individual customer preferences and not through special-interest lobbying.

My preference is too not go bankrupt while fighting a major health threat. What a fuckwit.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:08 pm
note1

Quote:

Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars. What is insured and what is not insured should be determined by individual customer preferences and not through special-interest lobbying.

My preference is too not go bankrupt while fighting a major health threat. What a fuckwit.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:08 pm
Stumbleweed

I never end up at Whole Foods... I go to a semi-local chain called Sunflower Farmers Market, which normally has a big selection of CO-grown produce (not all of which is organic, which is fine with me for the most part), good meats, and very good prices. If I want super-good organic stuff or something a bit crazier/hard to find, I go to another local chain called Vitamin Cottage that specializes in organic foods.

The only time I was at Whole Foods recently was buying ground lamb because Sunflower was out. But yeah, I'll make it a point to keep it that way.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:17 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
erich

public service announcement: the whole foods in central square, cambridge, ma does not have a single security camera in the entire store, except of course for the ones in the backroom to spy on employees. just fyi.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:18 pm
The Count

note1 wrote:
That Op-ed was just full of horrible ideas.

These didn't seem so bad ...

• Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

• Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

• Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

• Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost. How many people know the total cost of their last doctor's visit and how that total breaks down? What other goods or services do we buy without knowing how much they will cost us?

• Enact Medicare reform. We need to face up to the actuarial fact that Medicare is heading towards bankruptcy and enact reforms that create greater patient empowerment, choice and responsibility.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:33 pm
The Count

dbl
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:33 pm
crash

Location: the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption

whole foods sucks anyway. they've got a decent selection of cheeses and their the veggies are usually fresh but their prices are insane and the selection sucks (unless you're looking for one of their 25 varieties of organic chamomile tea). you also can't buy in bulk which is really annoying. and what's with the seran wrapped peppers? so much packaging. i hate whole food so much i actually curse the place out loud when i'm forced to shop there. their whole ethic is out of wack. they lack the fundamentals for real actual cooking but have loads and loads of little frou frou things like flavored olive oils and imported balsamic vinegar... it's so fucking obnoxious. thanks for providing me with an actually legit reason to hate the store.

and yeah, farmers markets ftw. local > organic.

also, traders joe's is pretty decent cheap alternative for the whole foodesque sorta stuff.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 pm
jehu

whole foods has been a joke for some time amongst my circle of friends. it's yuppy central & overpriced. trader joe's has been killin it for years, as far as i'm concerned. good to see this kind of backlash happening.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:41 pm
phataccino

I never actually even been in a whole foods. I've been boycotting for 29 years, new jacks.
Post Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next