Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Captiv8

Eagle Eye was a bit of a let down. It was obvious it was some kind of computer way too early, and the end was of course total Hollywood garbage. That said, I'm a fan of Shia and I inexplicably want him to do well. I had some nice action moments, but I'd much rather watch Transformers for that. And Michelle Monaghan was way better in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang? Why? Because Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was fucking awesome. Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer are on point the whole moment, exchanging absurdly witty dialogue without coming off as Pulp Fiction tribute.

Speaking of Tarantino, I'm stoked for Inglourious Basterds.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:28 pm
Bob_ptmfus

I finally saw the Godfather parts 1 and 2. Pretty damn awesome. Is the 3rd one as bad as everyone says?
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 pm
AdamBomb

I think we should post movie non-recommendations, too.

Don't waste your time on Fanboys or Baby on Board (my wife picked it up). I lost a little of my soul watching these crapfests.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm
Captiv8

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: do not, even at your most Travolta, ever watch Battlefield Earth. Normally book adaptations are subpar, but this reached molten levels of disappointment. And suddenly I miss Eltron.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm
Captiv8

And I thought Walk Hard pretty much sucked too. There were a few moments were I couldn't help grin, but for the most part it was a sappy and predictable crapfest. The worst Apatow et al film I've seen (Funny People judgment pending).
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:48 pm
Sarcastro

Captiv8 wrote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: do not, even at your most Travolta, ever watch Battlefield Earth. Normally book adaptations are subpar, but this reached molten levels of disappointment. And suddenly I miss Eltron.

you can't not recommend Battlefield Earth.

that's like me not recommending stabbing yourself in the leg. You should be smart enough to know it's a bad decision from the get go.

edit: also I saw Hurt Locker, good movie, maybe not as good as the ratings it's getting, but definitely worth seeing. very intense.
Post Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:02 pm
Captiv8

Sarcastro wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:

you can't not recommend Battlefield Earth.

that's like me not recommending stabbing yourself in the leg. You should be smart enough to know it's a bad decision from the get go.

I was a dumb high schooler who hadn't quite realized the bastardization that often takes place in Hollywood. Besides, I had to take a girl to a film she wouldn't like so my opportunity for play would be higher. They get bored, I suggest a much more exciting alternative, and whammo.
Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:37 pm
adic

Bob_ptmfus wrote:
I finally saw the Godfather parts 1 and 2. Pretty damn awesome. Is the 3rd one as bad as everyone says?

Yea, the 3rd one is pretty much as bad as everyone says it is...

I watched some of the old bond movies from the 60-70's recently, good stuff...

Can't wait for the new Tarantino movie to come out
Post Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 pm
smake

Captiv8 wrote:
And I thought Walk Hard pretty much sucked too. There were a few moments were I couldn't help grin, but for the most part it was a sappy and predictable crapfest. The worst Apatow et al film I've seen (Funny People judgment pending).

I really liked Walk Hard, thought the soundtrack was really good. And I like Jenna Fischer from The Office, she should do more movies. Funny cameos too. Might have been a bit too long, but I enjoyed it.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:55 am
redball

I needed a break after 6 days of frantic packing, moving, unpacking, cleaning, signing things, giving keys, getting keys, etc., etc., etc.... so I finished watching Reds. Don't bother watching this movie. The main character, Jack Reed, is compelling but the movie is not.

It never found its way. Is it a strict docu-drama that focuses more on the facts of his life, complete with first person accounts by old-assed white people? Is it a historical fiction piece that seeks to show the impact Reed had on those around him? Does it document the birth and infancy of communism and examine the politics of the day? Is it really an epic? I think it tries for all of those and succeeds at none. It's disjointed, too long, and leaves the viewers bored and uncaring. How Beatty won so many awards for this is beyond me.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

adic wrote:
Bob_ptmfus wrote:

Yea, the 3rd one is pretty much as bad as everyone says it is...

I watched some of the old bond movies from the 60-70's recently, good stuff...

Can't wait for the new Tarantino movie to come out

i think im the only one but i disagree, i thought godfather 3 was good and compared to the rest of films being made rather than part 1 or 2, it is still a rather good film. sophia coppola is definitely horrible in it and i think thats where most the over the top hate comes from.

i thought walk hard sucked and my ex girlfriend was in it for a sec so fuck that movie.

can't believe i haven't heard one discussion about the latest Transformers on this site at all.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:31 pm
redball

vintge wrote:
i think im the only one but i disagree, i thought godfather 3 was good and compared to the rest of films being made rather than part 1 or 2, it is still a rather good film. sophia coppola is definitely horrible in it and i think thats where most the over the top hate comes from.

You're not the only one. It had a lot to live up to and it didn't do that. If you ignore how good the first two movies were then it's really a decent film. I think the reason people can't do that is because it can't stand alone as a film, it needs the story line from the first two. So it's harder to abstract it and judge it on its own merits.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:53 pm
Self Conscious

watched hard candy the other night, was pretty good
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm
adic

I may have been a little harsh with my comments about Godfather pt 3 earlier... It's not a bad movie, just not as good as the first two, you should still watch it if you haven't...

I thought it was a given that Walk Hard was horrible
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 pm
kese

Just watched Ong Bak 2...

Mind blowingly good and grimey. Jaa flows through styles like fluid... and shows up any other Martial Arts movie-star in the process.
Post Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next