Search
Register
The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

The Rolling Movie Thread (Ultimate Ultimate)  Reply with quote  

Yeah so I thought we should have a general thread for posting movies we're watching, because most of you are probably like me and watch a shit ton of movies, but feel guilty about starting whole new threads for your tiny movie that you're excited about. So this is a thread where you just post what you've seen recently, and maybe some thoughts about it. And it just rolls on like the soccer, basketball, and football threads.

Oh and probably it would be good to keep this thread clear of file sharing movie talk--and just keep it to discussing films you've seen. Keep it clean, yeah?

Anyways. I recently watched Blood of the Poet by Cocteau. Which it was my first Cocteau film, actually. I adored it. I actually liked it more than Bunuel and Dali's films from around that time. His stuff is more dreamy, and the imagery is more powerful. And Lee Miller is completely amazing in it. It hipped me more fully to her(I had seen the Man Ray pictures of her). She's a really interesting woman. As well as beautiful.
Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:57 pm
Confidential

I saw "This is England."

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

Wow! Its about this kid that runs with some skins and then ends up in the white nationalist crowd of skins. Man it was intense and i think it could really be educational for folks in the US about the dangers of white nationalism that lies beneath anti-immigrant speech and inherent in patriotism. Because it is set in England, i think americans could view it more objectively i guess but hopefully see the parallels between here and there. I seriously want to publicly screen this film as an antiracist educational tool. anyway, it was powerful. watch it.

Also, the music went perfectly, especially in highlighting the dramatic/tragic parts.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I just saw a movie last weeked called 11:14
On either the sundance channel or independent film channel.
It's all based around the events that happen at 11:14 at night an how everything correlates between several strangers and how it affects them differently. It was shot really well, it came out in 05' I think. It's very entertaining, solid story and acting an had several people you would recoganize an pat swayze was in it too. There wasn't one character who was the focal point. I really recommend people check out the flick, its fast paced with lots of twists an turns
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:20 am
futuristxen

Swayze once stayed at the hotel I work at. Which is only significant in that I live in the middle of nowhere. But still. Swayze! And Obama stayed in the hotel next door when he came here. But Swayze was here!
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:41 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

that should be on the marquee out front "swayze stayed here"
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 am
Travadone

swayze bout to be ghost..........literally.

boom 2x
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:10 am
doubleplusgood

Confidential, and everyone, I can recommend most of Shane Meadows body of work. This Is England is great, Dead Man's Shoes is a brutal revenge flick, A Room For Romeo Brass is a nostalgic coming-of-age type film a la Stand By Me, only darker. I haven't seen Once Upon A Time In The Midlands, but I hear it was the one misstep he's made.

Watched Visioneers last night. I'm thoroughly biased because I think Zach G is amazing, therefore I really enjoyed it. It's slow-paced, and almost as much a drama as it is a comedy, but it's surreal and funny and seems to have been made without much thought to how it would play to the mainstream (non-conformity is a recurring theme). If you're interested by the trailer;

you'll probably enjoy it.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:12 am
Sarcastro

watched The Room again this weekend. Can't get enough of that movie, it's incredible.

I need a midnight showing in Toronto so I can dress up and go toss the football around in uncomfortably small spaces.

if you haven't seen it yet you're just hurting yourself.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 am
selfworth

i just watched feast 2: sloppy seconds and it was simply amazing. it was way more over the top than the first and it had a mexican midget wrestler with a 2 foot wang and it had people getting covered in almost every kind of bodily fluid you could imagine. if you have seen the first one or are into crazy grindhouse type movies this would be right up your alley.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:05 am
redball

Recent winners:

Good Night, and Good Luck - George Clooney takes a look at Edward Murrow. He tries to put some context to what Murrow did and the troubles he had. This isn't a documentary, and obviously there's a lot of fiction in it. It's historical fiction, though. I thought it was well done.

Harakiri - Netflix and Shambhala recommended this a lot. It's a real winner. If you like Samurai flicks then you'll probably like this, but it's a departure from the norm. The message is pretty strong.

The Seventh Seal - Ingmar Bergman uses a knight returning from the crusades to his homeland, ravaged by the plague, as a platform to look at life, death, and religion. There's some powerful cinematography in this.

Witness for the Prosecution - Billy Wilder does Agatha Christie. A classic courtroom drama. Great characters, good acting, and well made. Christie's stuff always translates well to film, but after you're used to her style she gets a fair bit predictable.

Pan's Labyrinth - Guillermo del Toro makes a fairy tale. Half the fun here is that you don't know what to expect going in. I'll leave it at that.

I'm currently watching Reds, Warren Beatty's 1981 epic about Jack Reed and the Bolshevik revolution. I'm an hour in, but the Netflix envelope has the run time of the second disk at 249 minutes, combine that with the first disks' 100 minute run time and it would seem that I have a long way to go. IMDB says it's only 194 minutes, which I hope is true because I'm moving at the end of the week and I don't want to still be watching this movie, even if it's been pretty good up to now.

edit: s/tail/tale/

Last edited by redball on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 am
Captiv8

This is England was a dope flick, but I was a little put off by the whole glam girl making out with the little dude scene. The fuck? It was like making out with an older clown woman, but homie was down for anything. Overall though the movie was good, and Stephen Graham was downright inspiring.

Dead Man's Shoes was interesting and brutal, by I thought it was actually a little anticlimactic with the twist at the end. The soundtrack for this was excellent though, and the guy that played the younger brother was excellent. Paddy Considine was great too.

I've got Tell No One queued up in Netflix and I can't wait! Netflix is definitely the way forward when it comes to movie-watching.

Oh, and Public Enemies was a drone-fest. Well-acted, but too drawn out, especially when you know that Dillinger dies in the end from the jump.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:27 am
Confidential

Public Enemies: I enjoyed the romance, which I hardly ever enjoy in movies because its usually way overdone, but this one had a good complimentary balance between romance and crime. Even knowing it was historical fiction and that there must be a formula for the screenplay, i still was able to empathize with the characters.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:20 am
Gibson13

Sarcastro wrote:
watched The Room again this weekend. Can't get enough of that movie, it's incredible.

I need a midnight showing in Toronto so I can dress up and go toss the football around in uncomfortably small spaces.

if you haven't seen it yet you're just hurting yourself.

"you're my favourite customer"
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm
z-spot22

Street Thief - i went in with super low expectations of this because of who brought it over to my house but after watching it i was thouroughly entertained and would recommend it for a casual watch, not something you gotta run out and get now

it looks like a documentary, at least its filmed that way, fun watch
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:32 pm
xGasPricesx

doubleplusgood wrote:

Watched Visioneers last night.

Just discovered that you can stream this on Netflix, very excited about that. Will be watching this one soon.
Post Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25  Next