Search
Register
Pool boots kids who might "change the complexion"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jelly87

alligator eyes? isnt it crocodile tears?
Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am
Scottie

65 kids was just too much for that pool. Of course it was only the club president that was the racist the rest of the board is all about it's multi-ethnic AND diverse membership.

http://www.thevalleyclub.com/

Quote:

The Valley Club is deeply troubled by the recent allegations of racism which are completely untrue.
We had originally agreed to invite the camps to use our facility, knowing full well that the children from the camps were from multi-ethnic backgrounds. Unfortunately, we quickly learned that we underestimated the capacity of our facilities and realized that we could not accommodate the number of children from these camps. All funds were returned to the camps and we will re-evaluate the issue at a later date to determine whether it can be feasible in the future.

Our Valley Club deplores discrimination in any form, as is evidenced by our multi-ethnic and diverse membership. Whatever comments may or may not have been made by an individual member is an opinion not shared by The Valley Club Board.
[/quote]
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:13 am
Confidential

How could we be racist, we have black friends?
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:17 am
box johnson

Scottie wrote:
Of course it was only the club president that was the racist

I do find it difficult to believe that an entire pool of white kids would just go "OH CRICKETS! THE BLACKS!" and run like the thing was infested with underwater bees.

Also, WHERES YOUR BLACK FRIENDS AT?
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:26 am
Scottie

box johnson wrote:
Scottie wrote:

I do find it difficult to believe that an entire pool of white kids would just go "OH CRICKETS! THE BLACKS!" and run like the thing was infested with underwater bees.

You lost me. The board president made the complexion comment. The statement on the website is saying the board does not agree with president. They are trying to pin it on the one guy which was the reason for my sarcastic post of the rest of the board being for multi-ethnic and diverse members.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:30 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Valley Swim Club 215-947-0700
Give them a call if you want.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:36 am
box johnson

Scottie wrote:
box johnson wrote:
Scottie wrote:

You lost me. The board president made the complexion comment. The statement on the website is saying the board does not agree with president. They are trying to pin it on the one guy which was the reason for my sarcastic post of the rest of the board being for multi-ethnic and diverse members.

I got that.

Just adding that I found the statement "When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," slightly dubious. I don't particularly care about anyone's Board membership, or whether they should retain it, enough to really flesh this out with you, though. Good points.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:38 am
Confidential

Sage Francis wrote:
Valley Swim Club 215-947-0700
Give them a call if you want.

I will call them and threaten to make a rap song using Valley Swim Club President John Duesler's multiple addresses as the chorus.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:54 pm
laurapalmer

I actually can believe that the board might not have realized what renting the pool really meant (in terms of volume of kids), and that more importantly, they didn't realize how their members would feel. I believe just as much that the president's use of complexion was racist.

On the flip side, I don't really understand what course of action is being desired here, or specifically what good protesting does. Given the news outlets, a senator involved, and an investigation-i kind of think that bringing light to the situation got done. In other words, my first thought was, fuck yes-protest them and tell them what's up, yo. and then i thought...hey, what in the fuck does that accomplish? what in the fuck is being protested? what is the end goal? President to step down, that seems pretty likely anyway. A new board? the end of the club? Not really sure what the end goal is. Using the Augusta comparison, I get what protesting does there and what was being accomplished.

I forgot to mention that the other thing that is big around here is joining a hotel pool. That is, seriously, you pay an annual fee to join a hotel swimming club where you can go to use their pool. And yes, it is just a normal hotel pool. No diving boards or deep end or whatever. Just...a pool.

but hey, i belong to the ymca. The ymca by me has 2.5 indoor pools all year round, and 3.5 outside pools, including one with a full waterslide and one that is 3 ft deep and padded at the bottom for little kids, complete with toys, kid sized waterslides, and spraying fountains. I much prefer that shit over dealing with dickheads at a swim club. as an added bonus, my membership gets me into the weight rooms, group exercise classes (including kettlebell training-hell yes), and special events like field days with moon bounces and shit for the kids. and i get discounts on swim lessons, preschool and all that stuff. as a bonus, even though the ymca has a c in it, they are the only preschool in the area that doesn't teach a religion in the classroom or say a prayer. ironic.

edited to include (in terms of volumes of kids)

Last edited by laurapalmer on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:22 pm
laurapalmer

Not to overly define this...but, I think the complexion comment wasn't intentionally racist, but was racist none the less.
Post Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:28 pm
FranktheP

As a member of a private pool, I would not be happy if my pool allowed a camp to use the pool for two hours without letting me know first. 65 kids in one pool is a lot and I would have scheduled my pool time for earlier or later. I obviously don't think that excuses the racist actions of the pool's members but I get being pissed. At least at my pool, when you join you actually become an "owner" and you have a say over what happens at the pool.
Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:52 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

I would have to see the pool. The only private pool I've ever been too is ginormous and could definitely take another 65 kids.
Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:30 am
Ardamus315

we're not that far removed from Jim Crow; sad but true. remember that......
Post Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2