Search
Register
B. Dolan - "R.S.V.P." (free download FTW)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

T-Wrex
p00ny tang

HercOrama wrote:
so you gonna murder him dolan, or just write your little sissy poems?

all this music does is get white kids more pissed off at their dads.

December will be the 25th anniversary of this tragic event.

Maybe, somewhere out there, there's an angry 20-something Indian immigrant with a mother and uncle who was sickened and blinded by the gasses, who hears this song, and it really strikes a chord with him.. and he wants vengeance.

More white kids need to be pissed at their old fashioned dads. There are a lot of stubborn white people in America who try to pass down racist, selfish and supremacist ideas to their children.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:24 am
adic

Ok, I suck at quoting... To Marshall...

Change never happens instantly. It's the little nudges that eventually get people to start thinking about things more critically, which eventually brings change.

Also, aside from the apparent agenda of the song that you've been focused on, this is actually a dope song musically, which I think you're discounting. Nice beat and B songs good over it... it's a good rap song regardless of whether it instantly sparks change...

Songs can be effective, more songs like this need to be made, you got it all twisted homie...
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:59 am
passenger

i'd rather listen to a song with purpose, substance, and information than a song about licking my lollipop
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:16 pm
Jelly87

passenger wrote:
i'd rather listen to a song with purpose, substance, and information than a song about licking my lollipop
what about licking someone elses lollipop?
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:46 pm
passenger

Jelly87 wrote:
passenger wrote:

whaaaat???? there's no such thing
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:49 pm
b. dolan
FBI agent

marshall84 wrote:
Now, if Dolan wants to prevent further events like the Bhopal disaster, he should probably stick to writing Knowmore articles. If an individual wants to advance a political agenda, they would almost surely have more success by running for office, becoming a community organizer, becoming a journalist, joining a union, starting a business, etc. than by writing songs.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. But jesus does it aggravate me when people tell me what i should stick to and how I should spend my time.

Knowmore will have covered the Global fortune 500 by January. Are you helping with that? If so, thanks. If not, it's still going to get done. And this song was done too. My nuts are in many baskets.

Last edited by b. dolan on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm
Jelly87

passenger wrote:
Jelly87 wrote:
passenger wrote:

whaaaat???? there's no such thing
dont be so sure homeslice
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:54 pm
adic

b. dolan wrote:
marshall84 wrote:
Now, if Dolan wants to prevent further events like the Bhopal disaster, he should probably stick to writing Knowmore articles. If an individual wants to advance a political agenda, they would almost surely have more success by running for office, becoming a community organizer, becoming a journalist, joining a union, starting a business, etc. than by writing songs.

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. But jesus does it aggravate me when people tell me what i should stick to and how I should spend my time.

Knowmore will have covered the Global fortune 500 by January. Are you helping with that? If so, thanks. If not, it's still going to get done. And this song was done too. My nuts are in many baskets.

I don't agree at all with what he was saying... I'm not gonna tell you what you should stick to, but you should stick to rapping for now... : )

Seriously though, the raps lately are what have caught my attention and got me thinking about things I otherwise probably would not have. It's possible to be both a good rapper and an activist

Last edited by adic on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:09 pm
prolyphic81

Dope song.

I learned a lot from hip-hop when I was kid, especially from songs like this.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:10 pm
futuristxen

marshall84 wrote:

Tupac and Biggie weren't kill by rap songs; they were victims of gang violence.

They were the victim of a climate they made through their art. So real and vivid were their words, that people believed the legitimacy of them. By all indications Biggie and Tupac were actually a lot more friendly than their disses might indicate. But they hit a nerve in the East Coast-West Coast thing, which was exacerbated by a combination of the powerfulness of what they were saying and the pre-existing condition they manipulated through their art.

I'm very suprised how naive you're being toward the role words can have.

We're a country built upon rhetoric and the power of a good speech.

Did you see the Wire? Sheeeiiiiiiiit.

How many things do you own that you don't need, but you were made to think you needed because of someone's art mindfuck?

Richard Nixon wasn't deposed by a hail of gunfire. It was words shifted around some truths and maybe even half truths.

Some writer shifted the entire Orlando Magic fanbase against Shaq when he was a free agent, so he ended up with the Lakers winning championships.

How many players are "soft"?

Words create perceptions.

And the perception one gets from this song is a very strong one, I highly doubt that anyone who listens to it is going to forget who Warren Anderson is. He's not going to be hidden anymore, at least from the people who read this song.

And you mentioned knowmore articles, this was like a knowmore entry in rap form. This is kind of what knowmore is about. And that's another side to this song you might be missing, because the people who this song pulls in, are 1) going to want to find out more about B. and 2) knowmore is a really good outlet for when you feel rather helpless against this kind of thing.

Oh and also, it's just a dope song. The aggression and menace of it is in the spirit of the best of hiphop.

Nature of the Threat is a decent comparison to this type of song, in that no matter what you believe or don't believe, the song is powerful enough that you want to believe what it says. Like how could you listen to something like this, and have your first thought be "I want to oppose this energy?" I mean I know we've got like two people in this entire message board, and one of them at least has a pre-existing condition against B. (probably based around something B. wrote or said even).
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:33 pm
Buddy Peace

Futuristxen, you are dropping some severe science...
The thing that makes me actually quite moved by hip hop music like this - and this song in particular - is how it is made by someone who really does give a damn about the subject matter and speaks with knowledge and from what I can tell, factually accurate foundations. It filters down and makes you want to find out what's going on and yes, know more.
I didn't know about the facts of the background of this track, and having them presented in a context I'm familiar with in a hip hop track is truly excellent. It's an exciting prospect, having music that would definitely frighten the folks involved if they heard it... Or worse.

B. gets the props.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:49 pm
HercOrama
wolf

T-Wrex wrote:
HercOrama wrote:
so you gonna murder him dolan, or just write your little sissy poems?

all this music does is get white kids more pissed off at their dads.

December will be the 25th anniversary of this tragic event.

Maybe, somewhere out there, there's an angry 20-something Indian immigrant with a mother and uncle who was sickened and blinded by the gasses, who hears this song, and it really strikes a chord with him.. and he wants vengeance.

More white kids need to be pissed at their old fashioned dads. There are a lot of stubborn white people in America who try to pass down racist, selfish and supremacist ideas to their children.

yeah but if these kids are listening to underground rap music, chances are they already know that their dad is full of shit.

i like this song a lot, i like most of these songs, but god, rappers are the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to saying something important on a scale larger than the kids in their audience.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
lord soth

b. dolan wrote:

what was the title?

HercOrama wrote:

'seems to have nothing good to say'

Boy, you sure proved em all wrong!
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm
xGasPricesx

HercOrama wrote:

i like this song a lot, i like most of these songs, but god, rappers are the absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to saying something important on a scale larger than the kids in their audience.

What does this even mean?
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:31 pm
mattarl

HercOrama wrote:
Quote:

i think the point is to change that opinion, one "angry white kid" at a time.

Whats wrong with spreading knowledge and why is Mr. Dolan getting questioned about the motive of his song? I don't get it.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next