Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Audit The Fed!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
redball



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 6871
Location: Northern New Jersey
 Reply with quote  

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Joshua Kane wrote:

From your lips to god's ears (if you believe in that sort of thing).


Sorry, man. Just because you write a LOT about the economy doesn't mean you're right.


All he was saying was that he hopes you're right.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
futuristxen



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 19362
Location: Tighten Your Bible Belt
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
I think you missed the height of the Ron Paul Revulsion here, Josh. Basically, we like some of the stuff he does but at this point seeing his name makes the lot of us cringe. Few of us are fans of the so-far-right-that-you're-left niche that hooked some of the so-far-left-that-you're-right voters, nor the everything-is-a-conspiracy-and-the-government-only-exists-to-oppress-you concept that seems to tie potheads to libertarians.


Haha. Beautiful.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
Joshua Kane wrote:

From your lips to god's ears (if you believe in that sort of thing).


Sorry, man. Just because you write a LOT about the economy doesn't mean you're right.


All he was saying was that he hopes you're right.


Sorry, didn't know that analogy.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Joshua Kane



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 670
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 Reply with quote  

Dr Sagacious wrote:
redball wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
Joshua Kane wrote:

From your lips to god's ears (if you believe in that sort of thing).


Sorry, man. Just because you write a LOT about the economy doesn't mean you're right.


All he was saying was that he hopes you're right.


Sorry, didn't know that analogy.


Yup, it was a pained way of saying I hope you're right. I'd also like to say I despise Fox News, but those Nazi bastards are efficient I tell ya. They jump on 'systemic collapse' stories like their reporters are on adderall or some shit.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:43 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ardamus315



Joined: 21 Apr 2009
Posts: 490
 Reply with quote  

i was thinking this may have been something like a petition but damn, he's got some people on his side to audit these dudes. Sucks the House Financial Services Committee is sitting on it and waiting for the whole thing to catch some more steam.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message
redball



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 6871
Location: Northern New Jersey
 Reply with quote  

Don't think there isn't a huge amount of politics in this. Republicans want this now so they can make a huge stink about our wasteful government before 2012. In fact, they want to start it before next year's elections.

It's a good thing and in the long term a lot of good would come out of it. In the short term it will be used for petty politics, feigned shock and awe about practices that they already know about. The short-sighted part is that this will cannibalize Republican administrations in the future, at least if they're run anything like GW's. While you can play some politics against the Democrats, they run on a platform that the government should spend. They probably hope to either repeal it before then or add in some "national security" exemption that they can use to castrate it later.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shambhala



Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 6303
Location: the barber of hard truths
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
I think you missed the height of the Ron Paul Revulsion here, Josh. Basically, we like some of the stuff he does but at this point seeing his name makes the lot of us cringe. Few of us are fans of the so-far-right-that-you're-left niche that hooked some of the so-far-left-that-you're-right voters, nor the everything-is-a-conspiracy-and-the-government-only-exists-to-oppress-you concept that seems to tie potheads to libertarians.


epically well said
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
3flip



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 2201
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
Don't think there isn't a huge amount of politics in this. Republicans want this now so they can make a huge stink about our wasteful government before 2012. In fact, they want to start it before next year's elections.

It's a good thing and in the long term a lot of good would come out of it. In the short term it will be used for petty politics, feigned shock and awe about practices that they already know about. The short-sighted part is that this will cannibalize Republican administrations in the future, at least if they're run anything like GW's. While you can play some politics against the Democrats, they run on a platform that the government should spend. They probably hope to either repeal it before then or add in some "national security" exemption that they can use to castrate it later.


i want to reiterate that this bill has the most bipartisan support in the house since obama stepped in, which i suppose doesn't necessary mean what your saying has no validity but ya, worth noting.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
redball



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 6871
Location: Northern New Jersey
 Reply with quote  

It's worth noting. It should also be noted that the reason why it has bipartisan support has more to do with what I said than the other positive aspects of the bill. Lastly, we should note that bipartisanship is entirely overrated. Remember the last big bipartisan effort?
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
3flip



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 2201
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

i suppose, and yall know i am biased, say what you want about ron but he is up there with the most non-political minded politicians i know of. what i am saying is the origin of this bill came from an honest place at least. fuck it i mean ron paul refused to support any of the republican presidential candidates and openly hates on the republican party almost any time he goes on tv.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
redball



Joined: 12 May 2006
Posts: 6871
Location: Northern New Jersey
 Reply with quote  

I'm not trying to knock Ron [right now], and I'm still very much for this bill. I'm only saying that there is a very political reason for it to be pushed right now. I think therein lies the answer to the question of why Barney Frank is sitting on it, as well. He probably wants it to pass but at a time when it makes more political sense for him and his party. I think that politicians will take this bill that probably had good intentions and play a lot of politics with it.

It's more food for thought than criticism.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
3flip



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 2201
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

ya i cant disagree with any of that.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
the mean
Certified O.G.


Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Posts: 6497
Location: philly/sacto/kauai/ohio
 Reply with quote  

3flip wrote:
i suppose, and yall know i am biased, say what you want about ron but he is up there with the most non-political minded politicians i know of.

We had the argument about whether Paul Pierce was important enough to be referred to by first name only. Ron Paul? Definitely no.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Joshua Kane



Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 670
Location: Carlsbad, CA
 Reply with quote  

redball wrote:
I'm not trying to knock Ron [right now], and I'm still very much for this bill. I'm only saying that there is a very political reason for it to be pushed right now. I think therein lies the answer to the question of why Barney Frank is sitting on it, as well. He probably wants it to pass but at a time when it makes more political sense for him and his party. I think that politicians will take this bill that probably had good intentions and play a lot of politics with it.

It's more food for thought than criticism.


Agreed. Given the current state of lobbying, I wonder if endowing the 'democratically elected' congress with more power over the Fed is even smart? Nevertheless, I am of the mind that more transparency is almost always a good thing; a good thing that often comes with some unfortunate costs, like increased political footballing.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
3flip



Joined: 30 Dec 2003
Posts: 2201
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

Joshua Kane wrote:
redball wrote:
I'm not trying to knock Ron [right now], and I'm still very much for this bill. I'm only saying that there is a very political reason for it to be pushed right now. I think therein lies the answer to the question of why Barney Frank is sitting on it, as well. He probably wants it to pass but at a time when it makes more political sense for him and his party. I think that politicians will take this bill that probably had good intentions and play a lot of politics with it.

It's more food for thought than criticism.


Agreed. Given the current state of lobbying, I wonder if endowing the 'democratically elected' congress with more power over the Fed is even smart?


you say that as if the congress has any power over the fed.
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:38 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon