Search
Register
Palin resigning as Gov. of Alaska
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Stumbleweed

Heh, I enjoyed that,

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jehu

redball wrote:
jehu wrote:
if you're gonna call out Ardamus315, which is totally fair, then you have to call out trav. and virtually no one here calls him out & he says worse ish than this almost daily. just sayin.

What you seem to be missing is that Trav is the official forum troll. No one calls him out [anymore, there was plenty of it at first] because they don't want to waste their time. He'll never back down and he isn't likely to ever do anything so wild that it would induce the ban hammer. So why bother?

With that said, Trav has this shtick covered. We should call out everyone else for trying to be like him.

if he can do it, then what the hell, everyone should be givin the pass. i mean really, if you enable one, why not ebable ALL of those who do this?
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:40 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Stumbleweed wrote:
Heh, I enjoyed that,

Hilarious. I love that Malcolm Gladwell is the coach. Notice that, by coach's design, there are no other people of color on the court. Now if only Sarah Palin and her teammates were black, the game would be a perfect metaphor for American racial dynamics. Ah, the hustle and ingenuity! Beats the lazy and talented (those guys) any day!
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:02 pm
benjy compson

^^^

ha. props
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:05 pm
redball

jehu wrote:
redball wrote:
jehu wrote:
if you're gonna call out Ardamus315, which is totally fair, then you have to call out trav. and virtually no one here calls him out & he says worse ish than this almost daily. just sayin.

What you seem to be missing is that Trav is the official forum troll. No one calls him out [anymore, there was plenty of it at first] because they don't want to waste their time. He'll never back down and he isn't likely to ever do anything so wild that it would induce the ban hammer. So why bother?

With that said, Trav has this shtick covered. We should call out everyone else for trying to be like him.

if he can do it, then what the hell, everyone should be givin the pass. i mean really, if you enable one, why not ebable ALL of those who do this?

Again, you miss the point. Trav is here because the powers that be -- the ones that make community to represent that of a friendly monarchy rather than an open democracy -- have decided that he's here and here to stay. The community at large has given significant effort to say that they aren't altogether pleased with this. Trav gets a free pass because someone in power has given it to him. So we largely throw up our hands now. Why bother? If you don't like Trav then go pay for your own web hosting and start the unofficial SFR Without Trav Forums.

That doesn't mean that we should put up with any- and everyone that acts this way. You can have a clown at your party without it becoming the circus. If we open the floodgates to that sort of behavior then we've essentially conceded that we will become Philaflavor. No thanks.

So, you see... We're stuck with Trav and won't waste our time, but we will roast anyone else who acts that way because we don't need them. We have Trav and that's enough.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

I suspect anyone suggesting or hoping that Palin is stepping down due to the upcoming revelation of a scandal is probably giving her way too much credit. Stepping down seems like an appropriate response and Palin has repeatedly demonstrated an inability to act appropriately for a given situation.

For instance, I think the recent feud with Letterman is telling. Palin strikes me as the type of person who takes disagreements too personally and hasn't got thick enough skin to deal with the scrutiny that comes with the position she put herself in. She's getting all kinds of unnecessary attention by threatening ridiculous lawsuits that she knows will never happen.

The August 09 Vanity Fair article on Palin (which was written before her announcement) describes her in a way that makes perfect sense of this behavior. I won't bother summarizing it here because you should read it. Granted, it's not the fair and balanced reporting of FOX News, but it goes a long ways towards explaining her erratic behavior.

I'm not counting her out for a 2012 run for the presidency, but I don't think that's what on her mind now. Scandals and tell-all books might be playing a role, but I think there's far less strategy involved than what she's being given credit for.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:43 pm
metachronos

The difference is that trav is funny and ardamus is just being a douche.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:54 pm
Stumbleweed

From that Vanity Fair article:

"More than once in my travels in Alaska, people brought up, without prompting, the question of Palin’s extravagant self-regard. Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of “narcissistic personality disorder” in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—“a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy”—and thought it fit her perfectly. When Trig was born, Palin wrote an e-mail letter to friends and relatives, describing the belated news of her pregnancy and detailing Trig’s condition; she wrote the e-mail not in her own name but in God’s, and signed it 'Trig’s Creator, Your Heavenly Father.'"

Hahahaha... amazing.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:11 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jehu

redball wrote:
jehu wrote:
redball wrote:
jehu wrote:

Again, you miss the point. Trav is here because the powers that be -- the ones that make community to represent that of a friendly monarchy rather than an open democracy -- have decided that he's here and here to stay. The community at large has given significant effort to say that they aren't altogether pleased with this. Trav gets a free pass because someone in power has given it to him. So we largely throw up our hands now. Why bother? If you don't like Trav then go pay for your own web hosting and start the unofficial SFR Without Trav Forums.

That doesn't mean that we should put up with any- and everyone that acts this way. You can have a clown at your party without it becoming the circus. If we open the floodgates to that sort of behavior then we've essentially conceded that we will become Philaflavor. No thanks.

So, you see... We're stuck with Trav and won't waste our time, but we will roast anyone else who acts that way because we don't need them. We have Trav and that's enough.

why do you assume i miss the point? you act is if i'm unaware that he gets a free pass by the powers that be. that's clearly obvious, considering that no one else is allowed to speak this way. and of course sage & co are entitled to do whatever they like, sage pays for it, so that goes without saying. i just find it an interesting scenario.

why raise a stink a at all is my real question. if the powers that be don't like something that is said, they'll deal w/ it accordingly.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:14 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

Burn pigs burn, man.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:33 pm
redball

Because we have a responsibility as a social group to enforce the sort of behavior that we want our members to portray. While our ability to do that with Trav is limited, it is not so with other members. Further, by expressing distaste about the actions of other members we are actually maintaining our stated distaste for Trav's actions of the same sort.

If we give up on everyone, as you seem to desire, then we've essentially given up on the community. We're not there, we've just given up on one person. We've simply given up on Trav because he's unreachable and in some ways untouchable. Kind of like the town drunk that everyone just knows to ignore. Even at that he's criticized on a fairly consistent basis. At least once a week someone walks down that path.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm
futuristxen

Stumbleweed wrote:
From that Vanity Fair article:

"More than once in my travels in Alaska, people brought up, without prompting, the question of Palin’s extravagant self-regard. Several told me, independently of one another, that they had consulted the definition of “narcissistic personality disorder” in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—“a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy”—and thought it fit her perfectly. When Trig was born, Palin wrote an e-mail letter to friends and relatives, describing the belated news of her pregnancy and detailing Trig’s condition; she wrote the e-mail not in her own name but in God’s, and signed it 'Trig’s Creator, Your Heavenly Father.'"

Hahahaha... amazing.

I think she's just saying that she feels trigs birth is a blessing from god. It's just a sloppily worded anti-choice thing, moreso than it's a narcissistic thing.

Besides, it's better than how I sign my emails. Which is: Your Mother's a Whore, God Cypher Divine pps your dick sucks.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 pm
Travadone

Jared Paul wrote:
Ardamus315 wrote:
i'm rollin' the dice on this and hopin' a sextape was involved.

Ardamus315 wrote:
At least she's a nice MILF to look at. Not too many of those in politics, ya heard?

Can you clarify this?

I was pulling for ya, hoping you were being Ironic- mocking different misogynist popular American responses, but now I'm pretty sure that you're not. Trav only gets a semi-pass at that nonsense because he's generally fucked up in the head, but you, dog? Not today.

Sarah Palin isn't qualified to manage a 7 Eleven- she's shown herself to be under qualified for governorship and any public office in countless ways. She fanned dangerous prejudice tendencies in her support base at rallies during the campaign, consistently advocates any number of classist policies, and displays an unacceptable willingness to infuse government with religion. But none of that gives you a free pass to objectify her or any other female (politician or non) on this forum and I don't think her physical appearance would be an issue like this if she were a man.

If you have something relevant to add to the discussion- Fine. Keep the lame ass chauvinism to yourself.
what is this shit jared. "trav is just generally just fucked in the head". way off point BRO DUDE.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:22 pm
jehu

redball wrote:
Because we have a responsibility as a social group to enforce the sort of behavior that we want our members to portray. While our ability to do that with Trav is limited, it is not so with other members. Further, by expressing distaste about the actions of other members we are actually maintaining our stated distaste for Trav's actions of the same sort.

If we give up on everyone, as you seem to desire, then we've essentially given up on the community. We're not there, we've just given up on one person. We've simply given up on Trav because he's unreachable and in some ways untouchable. Kind of like the town drunk that everyone just knows to ignore. Even at that he's criticized on a fairly consistent basis. At least once a week someone walks down that path.

i guess that's the difference between you & i. i haven't given up on trav, you have. and i'm not sure calling trav "sick" was right considering he's probably perfectly healthy, mentally speaking of course.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:48 pm
Travadone

jehu wrote:
redball wrote:

i guess that's the difference between you & i. i haven't given up on trav, you have. and i'm not sure calling trav "sick" was right considering he's probably perfectly healthy, mentally speaking of course.
i could have said jered is sick in his vegan ways. vegeterianism fine,veganism, mental health disorder.
Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next