Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Dealing with Five O
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
remind



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Posts: 2202
Location: NJ
 Reply with quote  

benjy compson wrote:
adic wrote:
don't say shit... ever...



Although this is great to live by, it's a little too ideal. Sometimes you have to talk to the police. It's important to specify, if you're under arrest or someone else is in trouble...that's when you literally don't say shit. You don't have to spew that "I respectfully refuse to answer questions" crap that Captiv was saying...just shut your mouth. They'll know what the deal is. Also, lying to the cops can save your ass. You just have to lie like a champ and cover your tracks. It all depends on the situation. Obviously if you're drinking and driving and you get pulled over you're not gonna be like "yeah, officer I had 14 beers..." when he asks if you've been drinking. Fuck written statements too. Hand it right back to them.

Always, to the best of your ability, stay calm around police. It's fine to be nervous or scared but don't show it. Gather yourself and be assertive. Don't avoid their eyes. Don't fall for their games/tricks. Recognize them.

Too many people believe they would be admitting guilt if they failed to let a cop search his/her bag upon request or didn't speak or whatever. No, no, no. It's your right. Right on.
Post Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

Obviously they "Don't say anything" advice is situational. If your home has just been invaded by the police it's probably best to answer simple questions, but the more pointed ones that aim at identifying a crime or criminal shouldn't be addressed. And sure, you don't have to say that you choose not to answer any questions, but I try to at least some respectful and polite when dealing with the police. If I was a cop stonewalled with silence I think I'd badger that person more. And sure, you can lie and get away with it, but it's a tricky thing to manage. Your best bet is to not say anything unless it is absolutely necessary.

I will second staying calm. This is difficult, as sometimes folks try to project the calmness too hard and it becomes more of an aggressive resistance. Making eye contact is good too, as it seems more sincere and honest than letting your eyes dart around the room. Remembering your rights is essential to the whole experience, as cops will try to trick you. And yes, the good cop/bad cop dynamic isn't just for movies.
Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message
vincinatti blues



Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Posts: 172
Location: San Jose, CA
 Reply with quote  

mikey, how's it hanging?

i'd hate to live in Fort Lauderdale if petty crimes like those equal being bombarded by cops.
Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Dj Mayonnaise



Joined: 07 May 2004
Posts: 781
Location: Maine
 Reply with quote  

remind wrote:
benjy compson wrote:
adic wrote:
don't say shit... ever...



Also, lying to the cops can save your ass. You just have to lie like a champ and cover your tracks.


Unless they're Feds.
Post Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:12 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TurnpikeGates



Joined: 30 Jun 2003
Posts: 517
Location: Bay Area
 Reply with quote  

To get back to "What can I do now that this has happened to me?"

Like people have said, you won't get anywhere without a lawyer. AND none of those cops will ever see any consequences.

BUT civil suits have much greater success than criminal complaints against cops. Your civil rights were violated, and you should AT LEAST write down the whole incident in detail, especially physical descriptions of all the cops, their names or any part of their names you remember, everything they said to you, what the weather was like that day, what time it was... EVERY detail.

It's good to do this even if you're not planning to pursue it any further. You might change your mind, something may come up, it may happen again. You want to be able to convincingly testify about this.

You should go on the police department's website and see if they have a roster with photos (unlikely) or at least a breakdown of divisions. They might have something like a "drug task force" or a "gangs division"... those are the kind of guys who dress in black t-shirts and bang on doors. Usually the list of 'beats' (patrol schedules) is a public record, and you might be able to find out the cops' names by seeing who was working the day/time you got invaded, though this applies much more to patrol cops.

Talk to everyone who was there, and see if they remember any info that don't... add that to your written account. If this shit happens again and you don't feel comfortable demanding names/badge #'s, get the license plate/car number before they drive away.

Even if you don't feel like you will get any justice by pursuing this, you might consider taking the first step: talk to a lawyer. You don't have to pay any money or commit anything if you just bring your story to a civil rights lawyer. There are libraries and legal clinics that have "ask a lawyer" sessions for free. There are also public interest lawyers who specialize in police misconduct, and some do pro bono work. Shop around. If you tell me what city this was in, I might be able to help with that bit.


No shame in just letting it go, though. But really do write it down for future reference. Your detailed notes may prove useful in the future.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:47 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

TurnpikeGates wrote:
To get back to "What can I do now that this has happened to me?"

Like people have said, you won't get anywhere without a lawyer. AND none of those cops will ever see any consequences.

BUT civil suits have much greater success than criminal complaints against cops. Your civil rights were violated, and you should AT LEAST write down the whole incident in detail, especially physical descriptions of all the cops, their names or any part of their names you remember, everything they said to you, what the weather was like that day, what time it was... EVERY detail.

It's good to do this even if you're not planning to pursue it any further. You might change your mind, something may come up, it may happen again. You want to be able to convincingly testify about this.

You should go on the police department's website and see if they have a roster with photos (unlikely) or at least a breakdown of divisions. They might have something like a "drug task force" or a "gangs division"... those are the kind of guys who dress in black t-shirts and bang on doors. Usually the list of 'beats' (patrol schedules) is a public record, and you might be able to find out the cops' names by seeing who was working the day/time you got invaded, though this applies much more to patrol cops.

Talk to everyone who was there, and see if they remember any info that don't... add that to your written account. If this shit happens again and you don't feel comfortable demanding names/badge #'s, get the license plate/car number before they drive away.

Even if you don't feel like you will get any justice by pursuing this, you might consider taking the first step: talk to a lawyer. You don't have to pay any money or commit anything if you just bring your story to a civil rights lawyer. There are libraries and legal clinics that have "ask a lawyer" sessions for free. There are also public interest lawyers who specialize in police misconduct, and some do pro bono work. Shop around. If you tell me what city this was in, I might be able to help with that bit.


No shame in just letting it go, though. But really do write it down for future reference. Your detailed notes may prove useful in the future.


Or you can just go to Internal Affairs and report the issue. This is the easiest way to learn the identities of the cops.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:02 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Travadone



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 2977
Location: LI(f)E SUCKS (The Album)
 Reply with quote  

I have a idea...

Hey mikey,why don't u get off your ass and do something like get a job instead of talking shit to cops and being fucking bums with all the other lames in your lame flophouse...fucking flopper.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message
PatrickBateman



Joined: 09 Aug 2003
Posts: 2276
Location: Philadelphia, PA
 Reply with quote  

The cops are already identified. Like I said, I really doubt I'll be worth my time perusing any sort of beef with these cats, but the same thing happened to my neighbor and he will be making moves So yea, we'll be sending out reports of the incident to just about everyone you guys mentioned, thanks.

I know it's not that big of a deal, I've been in much worse situations.... but when some motherfucker wakes you up all gung-ho in your home, it's pretty natural to want to retaliate.

It was pretty sad though. They were all sort of pathetic.... no social skills. Some of them might have been much better off if daddy wasn't around.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2737
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

PatrickBateman wrote:


It was pretty sad though. They were all sort of pathetic.... no social skills. Some of them might have been much better off if daddy wasn't around.


don't think toooo much.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PatrickBateman



Joined: 09 Aug 2003
Posts: 2276
Location: Philadelphia, PA
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
PatrickBateman wrote:


It was pretty sad though. They were all sort of pathetic.... no social skills. Some of them might have been much better off if daddy wasn't around.


don't think toooo much.


As descendant of Welsh psychics, I know these things instantly. Paypal me for if you'd like a reading.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:09 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
C.R.A.Z.Y



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Posts: 2737
Location: Vote for me and i'll vote for you.
 Reply with quote  

PatrickBateman wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
PatrickBateman wrote:


It was pretty sad though. They were all sort of pathetic.... no social skills. Some of them might have been much better off if daddy wasn't around.


don't think toooo much.


As descendant of Welsh psychics, I know these things instantly. Paypal me for if you'd like a reading.


i don't believe in that paypal psychic mumbo jumbo. thanks.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:11 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PatrickBateman



Joined: 09 Aug 2003
Posts: 2276
Location: Philadelphia, PA
 Reply with quote  

C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
PatrickBateman wrote:
C.R.A.Z.Y wrote:
PatrickBateman wrote:


It was pretty sad though. They were all sort of pathetic.... no social skills. Some of them might have been much better off if daddy wasn't around.


don't think toooo much.


As descendant of Welsh psychics, I know these things instantly. Paypal me for if you'd like a reading.


i don't believe in that paypal psychic mumbo jumbo. thanks.


I knew you were going to say that.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meta4



Joined: 20 Sep 2008
Posts: 100
 Reply with quote  

Travadone wrote:
I have a idea...

Hey mikey,why don't u get off your ass and do something like get a job instead of talking shit to cops and being fucking bums with all the other lames in your lame flophouse...fucking flopper.


why dont YOU go join the 5-0 ? Sounds like you'd fit right in..
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Captiv8



Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 8547
Location: Third Coast
 Reply with quote  

meta4 wrote:
Travadone wrote:
I have a idea...

Hey mikey,why don't u get off your ass and do something like get a job instead of talking shit to cops and being fucking bums with all the other lames in your lame flophouse...fucking flopper.


why dont YOU go join the 5-0 ? Sounds like you'd fit right in..


Because he already volunteers with the firefighters!
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Travadone



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 2977
Location: LI(f)E SUCKS (The Album)
 Reply with quote  

Fuck this whole thread and the threadstarter...man up punk.
Post Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:04 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon