Search
Register
ads and how they fuck with the kids
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Nope

ads and how they fuck with the kids  Reply with quote  

you know...some people laugh at the whole taking down of the "malboro man" and "Joe camel"...some think it's completely unnecessary and that it's not really something that affects kids

"they're going to smoke if they want to regardless"

sure more than likely...but let me share a story

My girlfriend was tutoring a girl this past weeked...she brought her to campus because she also wanted to hang out with me. My girlfriend smokes. This girl (she's 11), desperately wanted a cigarette, never giving a reason why...just kept asking for over an hour straight. We were playing freesbie, and she just sat down with the cigarettes she had taken from my girl...but she had no lighter

eventually, I got my girl to finally start reasoning with the 11 year old...asking her questions like "why do you want to smoke" as a start

first she said "because it's cool...please I just want to light it, I won't smoke it"

we both replied that you have to smoke it to light it..

we proceeded to ask "why do you think it's cool"

she replied "because then I get to go like this"

raising her arm, bending it so that her hand was to the left of her head...trying to copy how a girl would hold a cigarrette in one of those billboards that you see all the time

when she did that the image of a billboard came to me immediately...then came the images from television and the countless commercials and other garbage I may have seen

"because then I get to go like this"

really scary...all she wanted to do was look cool like those images portrayed on the media

for some reason those images are thought to be cool by 11 year olds...GAH

note: I have no problem with cigarrettes...if I did, I'd give my girlfriend shit for smoking all the time...I never even mention it...it's not an issue

Last edited by Nope on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:15 pm
duke_city

Welcome to advertising brainwashing 101.

Brian
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:19 pm
Nope

I've been aware of it for quite some time

but I didn't know just how deeply it got to kids...

I've seen it with music, and fashion, etc

but cigs? I'm also very much aware of "big tobacco" and how they run their business

but this girl was so "innocent" but at the same time very aware and smart....it kinda broke my heart

Last edited by Nope on Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:24 pm
Abduct0ne1

thank you, maybe we should bring camel joe back since he isnt the only one doing this to kids..
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:25 pm
duke_city

RandomSurge every single smoker (including your girl) has commercial advertising to thank for their nicotine addiction in one way or another. Unless of course there are actually people who are interested in dying quicker and making others around them die quicker.

Its all image either from the billboard, magazine ad, TV, movies etc... or observation of the kids pertending to be like the ads. In the process of trying to "Act cool" before they realize what dumb asses they have been they are hooked.

I remember this kid in school made a science project where you talked into a box and then entered the amount of years you had smoked and it would reveal what your voice should sound like.

One thing society needs to learn today is "its ok to say I fucked up" every once in a while and get on with your life.

Brian
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:35 pm
Nope

there were people smoking before there was any such thing as advertising, though
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:36 pm
Wish Sammich

I have never smoked anything in my life, and I look at the same ads/billboards as everyone else.
It seems like this particular girl's need to belong/ be accepted/ "be cool" is trying to overtake her common sense. That's no fun.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:40 pm
mrgillepsie

Yes, a need for acceptance can be a bitch.
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

ive been able to buy cigaretts since i was 12.......

I AM A DUMBASS FOR SMOKING cigarettes....... i know this

but when i was 12 and could get smokes i was basicly like ....well my mom smokes my older brother smokes....just about everyone in my family does

i still have a 'camel' banner that i stole when i was 13....

nicotein is more addicting then any drug ive ever done...
Post Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:41 pm
firefly

Don't forget Mcdonalds who have comercials targeted at three year olds. Fuckin' scumbags. . .

I hate the Tobacco companies. Those fuckers come into my store and act like they own the place, they re-arrange the displays and have the false "nice guy" smiles on, but I could see through them. A lot of the REAL "bad guys" come off as real nice people. Fuckin' scumbags. . .
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:45 pm
Lazy Eyed Pea

i love the internet  Reply with quote  

It's not the advertisements. It's everyone who smokes and looks badass doing so. I know when I smoke a cigarette I'm going love it and make a statement that I am the coolest motherfucker on the face of the earth, getting cooler with each drag. The only people who will ever matter are those who're able to think for themselves. Accept that there are influences pulling you in every direction you shouldn't be going in and eventually you'll earn the right to ignore them.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:59 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

how did smoking get so popular anywho? It must mostly be a popularity thing cause I remember those fake cigarets you could use those and look cool. I dont know.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:11 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

from my understanding in the 30s and 40s all the 'movie stars' smoked and there were no regulations on em and everyone thought it wasnt harmfull
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:15 pm
td3

anyone else think its fucked up that this kid and his girlfriend gave cigarettes to an 11 year old?

maybe i misread it

td3
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:15 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
duke_city

td3 wrote:
anyone else think its fucked up that this kid and his girlfriend gave cigarettes to an 11 year old?

maybe i misread it

td3

Did you read his post? They didn't give her anything.

Brian
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:18 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next