Search
Register
SLEEP "Hesitation Wounds" - 4.5 stars in URB
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

bbreakz

I think it is awesome that some of us are refusing to listen to the streaming because we are pumped for the first listen that we know we will get in the mail. It shows that there is still a something to the pleasure of getting a new album, opening it up and enjoying it.

Don't get me wrong, streaming is great and SFR is building a great buzz. I just chose to not do it because I know it is coming in a few days.

Buddy Peace wrote:
Mini thread hijack right here but thanks a lot bbreakz - that's decent of ya. That's a perfect reaction! Nice one for that.

No problem. It is hard for someone scratching on a recording to get me pumped anymore. So Kudos.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:27 pm
remind

So, about four songs in, I thought everything was just average at first listen (except "Talk About It"...wasn't feeling that at all). But then I got to "Spent". Holy shit. Got my attention.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:29 pm
Jared Paul

Spent is dope, but Hesitation Wounds, Million, and Roll Call are my jams.

"Hey Talia... I luvvv ya...
Hey Ezra... I luvvv ya..
Hey Raine... I luvv ya...
Old Dominion... I luvvv ya..."

BIG SLEEP... WE LUVVV YA.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dr Sagacious

I'ma wait till payday so I can pick this and Toki Wright's new cd.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:43 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

"4.5 out of 5" Urb.com

Sleep- Hesitation Wounds

Whether it be the title of the album, or the child on the front cover who looks like he’s trying out for Haley Joel Osment’s role in The Sixth Sense, it’s tough to head into this album thinking you’re about have a grand ole time. You’d be kind of right. It’s not exactly solid BBQ background tunes or a boombox-at-the-beach type of banger. But the creepy, perhaps terrifying and suicidal vibes the title and cover art display are not as rampant throughout the LP as you might imagine.

Instead, the hesitation wounds theme is more relevant to the way Sleep examines his own life: past and present, trials and tribulations, dreams and regrets. What’s most notable, and, to be honest, kind of surprising (or maybe I was just sleeping, lame pun not intended) is how great of an MC Sleep has evolved into. Not that he hasn’t put out quality albums in the past, but on Hesitation Wounds, he manages to express himself, putting his deepest and most beautiful emotions inside the music, while still occasionally flinging humor and wit into the material as well. And, incredibly, the fact that all this takes place while Sleep raps with a double-time flow that whizzes by you, yet somehow maintains both comprehensibility and perfect sense, is downright impressive. His raps are dense, yet often are about no more than being an everyday person with everyday struggles: simple-but-significant pressures like making money to support his family or hating the time spent away from his daughter. It’s pretty much impossible to listen to this entire CD and not indentify with the message and the emotions, even if you can’t dig the music.

But the music is damn good. The production suits the MC well, and, like the rapper it’s providing the background for, it’s a little experimental while still traditional in its Hip Hop format. The two best beats come from Reanimator, one of which, “Talk About It,” begins with a Beastie Boys-inspired old-school styled head nodder that transitions into a futuristic electro-canvas for Sleep to scrutinize the music industry over. “Orchestra of Strangers” uses infectious strings and a catchy hook to draw the listener in, as Sleep slows down the flow to a slow jog in the second verse and then moves to a full-out sprint in the third. Blink, and you’ll miss an important point: “Complex content, not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids.” And when he says “this is grown-folk business, just spit a little different” earlier on the track, it’s as if he feels the need to defend his slightly out-of-the-box style. Truthfully, though, he doesn’t. Hesitation Wounds takes you through the journey of a regular dude just expressing himself through his music for 13 (12 not including the hilarious interlude) emotional, relatable tracks. There’s no reason to have to defend that.

by Adam Figman
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 am
sequence

Dope review. I'm working on making Portland stand up for the video tomorrow.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:58 am
siLentKnight

Once again I look forward to hearing this and just want to agree on this statement from bbreaks:

"I think it is awesome that some of us are refusing to listen to the streaming because we are pumped for the first listen that we know we will get in the mail. It shows that there is still a something to the pleasure of getting a new album, opening it up and enjoying it."

Seems rare nowadays, but that gives me hope honestly.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:05 am
bbreakz

At that is not to say I don't listen to streaming clips to check out albums I want to buy. Cuz I do, but if I know I am going to get it or have ordered it already i most likely won't.

I was pretty anal about only listening to Goodbye off the P.O.S.'s Never Better until i got it in the mail. But the but Rhymesayers full-press support and all the buzz on this forum nearly killed me because I was dying with anticipation and there was something like 3 videos out for Never Better by the release date.
Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:11 am
remind

Up. Can't stop bumping "Spent"!
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 am
DM

Sage Francis wrote:
"4.5 out of 5" Urb.com

Sleep- Hesitation Wounds

Whether it be the title of the album, or the child on the front cover who looks like he’s trying out for Haley Joel Osment’s role in The Sixth Sense, it’s tough to head into this album thinking you’re about have a grand ole time. You’d be kind of right. It’s not exactly solid BBQ background tunes or a boombox-at-the-beach type of banger. But the creepy, perhaps terrifying and suicidal vibes the title and cover art display are not as rampant throughout the LP as you might imagine.

Instead, the hesitation wounds theme is more relevant to the way Sleep examines his own life: past and present, trials and tribulations, dreams and regrets. What’s most notable, and, to be honest, kind of surprising (or maybe I was just sleeping, lame pun not intended) is how great of an MC Sleep has evolved into. Not that he hasn’t put out quality albums in the past, but on Hesitation Wounds, he manages to express himself, putting his deepest and most beautiful emotions inside the music, while still occasionally flinging humor and wit into the material as well. And, incredibly, the fact that all this takes place while Sleep raps with a double-time flow that whizzes by you, yet somehow maintains both comprehensibility and perfect sense, is downright impressive. His raps are dense, yet often are about no more than being an everyday person with everyday struggles: simple-but-significant pressures like making money to support his family or hating the time spent away from his daughter. It’s pretty much impossible to listen to this entire CD and not indentify with the message and the emotions, even if you can’t dig the music.

But the music is damn good. The production suits the MC well, and, like the rapper it’s providing the background for, it’s a little experimental while still traditional in its Hip Hop format. The two best beats come from Reanimator, one of which, “Talk About It,” begins with a Beastie Boys-inspired old-school styled head nodder that transitions into a futuristic electro-canvas for Sleep to scrutinize the music industry over. “Orchestra of Strangers” uses infectious strings and a catchy hook to draw the listener in, as Sleep slows down the flow to a slow jog in the second verse and then moves to a full-out sprint in the third. Blink, and you’ll miss an important point: “Complex content, not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids.” And when he says “this is grown-folk business, just spit a little different” earlier on the track, it’s as if he feels the need to defend his slightly out-of-the-box style. Truthfully, though, he doesn’t. Hesitation Wounds takes you through the journey of a regular dude just expressing himself through his music for 13 (12 not including the hilarious interlude) emotional, relatable tracks. There’s no reason to have to defend that.

by Adam Figman

I was supposed to do this review! Arrrrgh!

I think Adam's review, and the 4.5 rating, is spot on anyways. Sleep raps his ass of on this record and heads should really be checking for it.
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:00 pm
ROTS ONE

wow...this sounds really good. Definitely gonna have to purchase. Besides Reanimator, who else contributed to the production?
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:40 am
al(phonic)

siLentKnight wrote:
Once again I look forward to hearing this and just want to agree on this statement from bbreaks:

"I think it is awesome that some of us are refusing to listen to the streaming because we are pumped for the first listen that we know we will get in the mail. It shows that there is still a something to the pleasure of getting a new album, opening it up and enjoying it."

reminds me of a buck interview i saw where they asked him about how the internet is cutting musicians money. he said the internet is good for art bbecause people can check shit out and buy accordingly. he said that access hurts wack musicians more than true ones. im sure mr. francis would agree because the internet was instrumental in his exposure and subsequent numbers growth. and the outrageous amount of legwork of course

im still sleeping by my mailbox. no pun intended
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:26 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

wowzerz these songs are incredible

this production is grimy sewer ooze dripping to the center of a beautiful earth

yep

this is rappy rap rappin rapidly

wha wha whatcha talkin bout!

p.s. that intro is DOPE i wish it was a full track!
Post Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:00 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2