Search
Register
"Hesitation Wounds" available now! 4.5 stars in Ur
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

bbreakz

What is this Beachside Grill place? I am close to Oceanside. I shall investigate.
Post Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:35 pm
lacezilla

are the posters shipping separate?
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

No, they're part of the same package. Sorry about the crease! It's not economical at all to ship them separate in tubes but it's nothing an iron can't hash out right?
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:45 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

By CASEY JARMAN of Willamette Week

As much as longtime Portland MC Sleep contemplates the unknown in his verses, it’s not really fair to peg him as “dark.” Thorough examination of death is a hallmark of the entire Oldominion crew he co-founded over a decade ago, but like his pioneering Northwest peers, Sleep voyages into the void for a bit of perspective on life. So while the title of his new record, Hesitation Wounds, may elicit images of grisly failed suicide attempts—the sort of themes explored on the album’s title track—it means something more to Sleep. It’s an apology for nearly losing sight of his dreams.

After four years without a solo record, hip-hop should be grateful for Sleep’s return. On Wounds—his first disc for Sage Francis’ Strange Famous label—he relights the fire over 55 minutes of smoky, deep-space funk that echoes like basketballs in an empty gym. And though the disc features appearances by Del and Grayskul, it’s Sleep himself—his voice fluttering between overexcited rap fanboy and world-weary vet—who commands the listener’s attention through personal reflection, spiritual exploration and quick-witted humor.

Oh, and don’t forget speed. Though Sleep is among the quickest tongues in hip-hop, this is the first album on which that skill has been used as more than an occasional gimmick. And when he blasts off over the slow-churning soul of “Goblin,” it’s not just his pace that impresses; it’s the spin-cycle style of his delivery and the clarity of his message. Sleep’s voice sounds like a warped spoken-word record spun at 78, and he leaves no syllable behind. When the beat slows behind him and it’s just the MC and an anxious electric guitar, he explains his strategy at light speed:

“Complex content not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids/ It’s not to cover up a lack of thought, in fact it’s quite the opposite.”

Sleep’s appeal lies largely in his perspective: He’s a blue-collar MC who uses hip-hop as a means to self-discovery. And while his vocab isn’t as elaborate as that of some college-aged backpackers who’ve stolen the indie rap spotlight in recent years, Sleep’s struggle rings truer than most. He lays all the cards on the table on “Million,” wherein he details those hesitation wounds we were talking about. Sleep’s real-life alias, Chris Tafoya, is a family man, and furthering his music career can mean missing out on some pretty major dad shit. Where lesser MCs would choose machismo or hyper-logic to solve the conflict, our narrator sounds infinitely torn.

“You gotta ask yourself at the end of the day, is it even worth it?”
Sleep posits in a plain-speaking voice. “What do you give up for your dreams? Are they the things you love?” There’s no easy answer here, but Sleep reminds us to keep asking the questions, no matter how dark our path may seem.

HESITATION WOUNDS DROPS ON JUNE 30th! HIT UP YOUR LOCAL MUSIC SHOP AND MAKE SURE THEY HAVE IT IN STOCK.
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:47 pm
knowrites

Sage Francis wrote:
No, they're part of the same package. Sorry about the crease! It's not economical at all to ship them separate in tubes but it's nothing an iron can't hash out right?

haha. just last week i was telling some friends about the HTDD poster, and the guy who lost it with you guys.

came up in a discussion about how i've never had a bad experience ordering from you guys.
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 pm
Shinigami

great review!

i'm going to go hang up posters and hand out stickers for this album tomorrow.
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:52 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Shinigami wrote:
great review!

i'm going to go hang up posters and hand out stickers for this album tomorrow.

If you could make sure to have the info posted on the forums you go to that would be great as well. The more exposure the better.

thanks man
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:13 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

lacezilla wrote:

Oh snap. Now I know why you were asking this. The first 40 CDs we sent out did not have posters shipped with them. That was a mistake. We are sending out the posters separately for all these people.
EEK!
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:23 pm
bakemosphere

Is it possible to still get a poster if I order on the 30th?

don't get paid till then and don't wanna risk overdrafting my card with the bills coming out in the next few days. Was planning on snagging the CD + shirt. lemme know if it's possible, just moved into a new place and need some new posters badly.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

yeah, we will keep the posters as part of the package for a while.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:51 am
xxdr. mad69xx

Mine didn't come with a poster:(
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:18 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Sage Francis wrote:
lacezilla wrote:

Oh snap. Now I know why you were asking this. The first 40 CDs we sent out did not have posters shipped with them. That was a mistake. We are sending out the posters separately for all these people.
EEK!
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:06 pm
xxdr. mad69xx

I should probably learn how to read.
I wasn't to worried about it though. I'd rather have the cd than the poster.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:22 pm
AdamBomb

Ordered this today off the strength of the streaming songs off of myspace. I'm really loving the production on this album and Sleep seems to have really stepped it up. Don't get me wrong, Christopher was pretty good, but this new stuff seems to be phenominal and a step up. Can't wait to get this.

Btw, I've never heard of that Zavala dude, but I really want to hear more work by him (edit: no relation to the Mars Volta guy?).
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:01 pm
xxdr. mad69xx

I agree I was feeling "Christopher", but I'm feeling this more.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next