Search
Register
SLEEP "Hesitation Wounds" - 4.5 stars in URB
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

SLEEP "Hesitation Wounds" - 4.5 stars in URB  Reply with quote  

SLEEP of Oldominion "Hesitation Wounds" available on MP3 and CD here:
http://tinyurl.com/hesitationwounds

"4.5 out of 5" Urb.com

Sleep- Hesitation Wounds

Whether it be the title of the album, or the child on the front cover who looks like he’s trying out for Haley Joel Osment’s role in The Sixth Sense, it’s tough to head into this album thinking you’re about have a grand ole time. You’d be kind of right. It’s not exactly solid BBQ background tunes or a boombox-at-the-beach type of banger. But the creepy, perhaps terrifying and suicidal vibes the title and cover art display are not as rampant throughout the LP as you might imagine.

Instead, the hesitation wounds theme is more relevant to the way Sleep examines his own life: past and present, trials and tribulations, dreams and regrets. What’s most notable, and, to be honest, kind of surprising (or maybe I was just sleeping, lame pun not intended) is how great of an MC Sleep has evolved into. Not that he hasn’t put out quality albums in the past, but on Hesitation Wounds, he manages to express himself, putting his deepest and most beautiful emotions inside the music, while still occasionally flinging humor and wit into the material as well. And, incredibly, the fact that all this takes place while Sleep raps with a double-time flow that whizzes by you, yet somehow maintains both comprehensibility and perfect sense, is downright impressive. His raps are dense, yet often are about no more than being an everyday person with everyday struggles: simple-but-significant pressures like making money to support his family or hating the time spent away from his daughter. It’s pretty much impossible to listen to this entire CD and not indentify with the message and the emotions, even if you can’t dig the music.

But the music is damn good. The production suits the MC well, and, like the rapper it’s providing the background for, it’s a little experimental while still traditional in its Hip Hop format. The two best beats come from Reanimator, one of which, “Talk About It,” begins with a Beastie Boys-inspired old-school styled head nodder that transitions into a futuristic electro-canvas for Sleep to scrutinize the music industry over. “Orchestra of Strangers” uses infectious strings and a catchy hook to draw the listener in, as Sleep slows down the flow to a slow jog in the second verse and then moves to a full-out sprint in the third. Blink, and you’ll miss an important point: “Complex content, not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids.” And when he says “this is grown-folk business, just spit a little different” earlier on the track, it’s as if he feels the need to defend his slightly out-of-the-box style. Truthfully, though, he doesn’t. Hesitation Wounds takes you through the journey of a regular dude just expressing himself through his music for 13 (12 not including the hilarious interlude) emotional, relatable tracks. There’s no reason to have to defend that.

by Adam Figman

http://tinyurl.com/hesitationwounds

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:36 pm; edited 8 times in total
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:27 am
ArthasX

WOW!

(and that reaction is based on the first minute of the song "hesitation wounds").

I was a little worried about this after considering Christopher the album of the year when it dropped, and having only a mediocre response to the first two leaked songs of "hesitation wounds", but this song is fire! Gonna close myspace and wait impatiently for my package to arrive.

WOW!
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:38 am
Reggie

hm. well that worked. I'll be placing my order on payday.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 am
remind

Nice, gonna bump this right now.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:14 am
mattrego

Reggie wrote:
hm. well that worked.

Yeah, it certainly did. I am going to wait for the actual Strange Famous Records Store to open up and drive up to Pawtucket and spend some money.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:56 am
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:41 am
jehu

i feel bad for cats who have to share a show w/ this guy. i dont care if they go on before OR after... talk about getting schooled.

sleep is a certified beast.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:56 am
Buddy Peace

This was actually one of my first proper encounters with Sleep, which seems pretty weird to me... I didn't buy Christopher when it came out and I hadn't heard much Oldominion or affiliates around the time either. I definitely missed out, I know that much. Hesitation Wounds is really severely dope. When he says this : “Complex content not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids/ It’s not to cover up a lack of thought, in fact it’s quite the opposite.”, that just mirrored what I was thinking completely. He raps fast as hell but it's not just random syllables, it all makes sense and comes off dope. The production kills too. I can thoroughly recommened this, or at least add it to the ever growing recommendation list. Amazing stuff.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:25 pm
Reggie

I wasn't really checking for this too much because I was never a fan of Oldominion. But I listened to the streamed album because, hey, no harm no foul. And it worked! If only every record label would jump through hoops to practically cram free music down the throats of disaffected, jaded patrons like myself, there might be hope for the industry.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:44 pm
bbreakz

Buddy Peace wrote:
This was actually one of my first proper encounters with Sleep, which seems pretty weird to me... I didn't buy Christopher when it came out and I hadn't heard much Oldominion or affiliates around the time either. I definitely missed out, I know that much. Hesitation Wounds is really severely dope. When he says this : “Complex content not nonsense because I spit it a bit quicker than some kids/ It’s not to cover up a lack of thought, in fact it’s quite the opposite.”, that just mirrored what I was thinking completely. He raps fast as hell but it's not just random syllables, it all makes sense and comes off dope. The production kills too. I can thoroughly recommened this, or at least add it to the ever growing recommendation list. Amazing stuff.

This sums up my experience too. I figured, hey I will wait to hear what people think of Hesitation Wounds. But, the verse on Sea Legs, grabbed me--by the way that track is on of my faves still for running--and I was on board from there and did some youtube myspace searches as well. Lothar sealed it. I am not listening to anything else though because the album is on the way.

Buddy, your spot on Sea Legs curls my lips back when I run to it. Love it. Gets me amped. Same goes for PUMP.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:07 pm
tim

it's a tad bit late but here's a review of christopher with a heads up for hesitation wounds.

http://thefreshscent.com/2009/06/24/tfs-music-review-sleep-christopher/
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:03 pm
Smurf Stomper

Well, only the intro would work for me...the rest of the songs said they were unavailable. The intro was sick...I'll check back later.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm
Buddy Peace

Mini thread hijack right here but thanks a lot bbreakz - that's decent of ya. That's a perfect reaction! Nice one for that.
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 pm
al(phonic)

man i really want to listen to this. over and over and over. but ill wait by my mailbox, too
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:34 pm
ourcynic

tightness. and its only like 3 weeks till sleep hits San HOOOOOO!
Post Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next