Search
Register
Bike for Three! VINYL now available
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

remind

Jesse wrote:
Buck hopes that this record will, once and for all, kill the "country rap" tag that has plagued him (somewhat, but not entirely, unfairly) since THB.

What do you think?

I mean, if anything it was "This Right Here is..." which garnered that label. I wasn't really feeling it at first but I like it now. And THB is the shit. Has it really plagued him? What stands out as a misstep in my mind is "Kennedy Killed the Hat".
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:16 am
Jesse

remind wrote:
Jesse wrote:
Buck hopes that this record will, once and for all, kill the "country rap" tag that has plagued him (somewhat, but not entirely, unfairly) since THB.

What do you think?
I mean, if anything it was "This Right Here is..." which garnered that label. I wasn't really feeling it at first but I like it now. And THB is the shit. Has it really plagued him? What stands out as a misstep in my mind is "Kennedy Killed the Hat".
He feels plagued by it, I guess mainly in the press. Maybe moreso Canadian press?

This Right Here never grew on me at all, and I still don't like Secret House as a sound/recording... but I think I finally understand the point behind "Kennedy" and have found it pretty enjoyable in certain other live incarnations. Coming out of nowhere it was pretty jarring, though, and I'll never probably bump the LP version.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:00 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

"Secret House" was his worst record, but there are some gems on it. As Jesse alludes to, the remix of "Kennedy" is much more listenable than the LP version. I like both "Talkin' Honky" and "This Right Here" quite a bit. And the Buck hate threads on here circa 2004/5 were classic.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:04 am
dsodreams

i love that man.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am
El Jefe

I like all versions of "Kennedy Killed The Hat", but I think my favorite version is the slowed down "Noir" version off of "Heck".

I enjoy every Buck outing, and could listen to his voice all day. It is weird to go way back and hear him around the "Vertex" and "Man Overboard" days when he still sounded dweeby. I honestly think "Dirtbike" is his best work, as it takes the sound of his older stuff, and combines it with his voice as it is today, which is no doubt much better and cooler.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 pm
Jesse

The Dirtbike records are by FAR his best material, not just because he's grown into his voice and reclaimed his anything-goes style of production, but his writing is beyond where it's ever been before and his delivery has regained its elasticity from recording alone and listening to rap again.

Bike For Three! is somewhere in between, because the writing is great and the delivery is really confident, but the word arrangement is still from his stripped down, slightly-too-simple era. Fortunately the good things about the record totally override the limitations, but I'm pretty sure the next one will be even better.

He showed me some stuff a couple weeks ago from a few projects he has on the go right now, but I don't know how tight of a lid is being kept on them so I won't say much except you should get excited and I hope you like drums.

If you want some indication of where his head is at rhyme-wise, he's looking back to tracks like the Sebutones' "Kenny's Theme" to try and figure out what he stopped doing in terms of off-kilter/on-kilter delivery, plus studying the following video of Ruck & Rock freestyling:

"Nerd rap! Nerd rap!"
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:18 pm
SteveJB

I really like Secret House and Kennedy...

That said it was my first Buck record so I guess it's partly helped by that perhaps.

I really like this album, it's definitely not as "country" as THB, but neither was a lot of stuff on dirtbike and obviously Situation was a big step away, I'm excited for more Buck coming soon, everything of his I've heard is great.
Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:42 pm
knowrites

Jesse wrote:
The Dirtbike records are by FAR his best material, not just because he's grown into his voice and reclaimed his anything-goes style of production, but his writing is beyond where it's ever been before and his delivery has regained its elasticity from recording alone and listening to rap again.

these are phenomenal tapes. most definitely some of his best material.
(just lost my hard drive, can anyone uploade these somewhere for me or email them or something? i'd be infinitely grateful)

that said, i really like the Bike For Three! material. i don't know why, but i somehow manage to find everything Buck touches to be incredibly endearing.
i'd love to see another record like this, but i also hope he doesn't stop his 'country' music.
some people may find it gimicky, but i find that sometimes it's exactly what i need.
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 pm
Jesse

knowrites wrote:
these are phenomenal tapes. most definitely some of his best material.
(just lost my hard drive, can anyone uploade these somewhere for me or email them or something? i'd be infinitely grateful)
http://www.buck65.net/dirtbike
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:20 pm
Travadone

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:22 pm
El Jefe

Is there any kind of album art for Dirtbike? It's the only thing on my iPod without it, and every time I see it, it kinda makes me sad. It deserves better.
Post Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm
Captiv8

Finally heard this record yesterday and it absolutely blew my mind. I haven't heard many flawless records in my day, but this is one of them. Even "MC Space," which seems like the broken thumb regarding the album's overarching theme, impressed me. Thank you Buck and Greetings From Tuskan!
Post Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:24 am
remind

Two listens through and I'm loving it too. It definitely reminds me of Vertex as far as the mood that it captures as a whole. I really like "First Embrace" outta all the songs that I haven't heard.
Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:56 pm
AirTreesWaterAnimals

"First Embrace" is great and so is "All There Is To Say About Love." I'm really enjoying this album. I thought Situation had some great tracks, but never really got into it. I'm going to dig that one out again now and check out some of Buck's other stuff.
Post Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:06 pm
Marcus Forealius

Very ecstatic about this album. This guy's definitely been bringing the heat and never ceases to impress.

The 3rd and 7th tracks are a couple of my favorites right now.
Post Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4