Search
Register
GM goes under. gonna get bought the govmt
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

redball

Most of the Toyotas sold here are assembled here.

Your buddy's dad was exaggerating. It isn't that bad. Even if it is that bad for a few people it's not that bad for most.

Most of the people that I've known who worked in that industry were pretty damned hard workers. Back when I worked at Speedway one of my coworkers was also working at the last Chrysler plant in Dayton. She was only making $8 or $9 an hour at the plant, a mere couple of dollars more than Speedway. She worked 30 hours a week at the store, and 50 hours a week at Chrysler. She cleaned houses on the weekend. I don't know what she did at the plant, but I know she was a damned hard worker from the time she worked with me.

That's just one story, though. There are thousands of people that work at these plants. We hear about the bad apples. It's bullshit. Those people are hard workers. There's other issues at play that cause the kind of quality problems we've seen from US manufacturers. A big one, especially with GM, was the choice to cave to union pressures not to fully modernize and streamline assembly. There's also a big difference in how the big three control their supply chains.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:22 pm
Dr Sagacious

I agree with you. My grandpa (and most of my mom's family for that matter) worked for Ford for a long time, and busted his ass. I wouldn't say "some" if I meant "all".

Also, a lot of Japanese companies assemble their product here. Honda has a few exceptions, They build the Accord here (in Marysville). And they build some of their motorcycles here.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:53 pm
redball

You guys watching the finals? GM has ads that do nothing but talk about their reorganization plan. I can't think of another company that's spent so much money to sell you on their bankruptcy. Insane.
Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3