Search
Register
Dax Pierson awarded $18 million in lawsuit against Ford.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

kevint

Even with 18 million dollars (although not all will go to him), poor Dax.

I don't know what it's like to be paralyzed, and I sure don't know what it's like having even a million dollars.

However, I do know what it's like not being able to use an arm and leg for months, and dealing with the lifetime struggle that it will never be normal again. Definitely a lot of pain, weakness, and discomfort to deal with every single day.

I broke my arm and leg in several places in the past. A few months after the injury, I was struck by a new, young driver who ran a red light. I broke the same arm again, along with my wrist and other things. It has been years and it feels like the bones will never heal properly.

I'd trade in anything to have normal bones again--even if it was 18 mill. I just want to return to the things I love doing and being able to do it without feeling so limited.

It's not the way my bones feel that bums me out, as annoying as it is. It's not being able to do what you're passionate about. For me, it's the inability to compete in sports the way I used to. Also, while I was in a cast for months, it felt like hell not being able to play any sports at all. I nearly went insane.

Dax is paralyzed. 18 million dollars or 500 million dollars...it will NEVER make up for what he has been through, or what he has to live through, and the things he can no longer do.

I wish you the best, Dax.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 5:01 am
Captiv8

tommi teardrop wrote:
First off, without knowing any of the details of the case, I can assure that there were safety experts, biomechanical experts and engineers retained to explain to the jury exactly how Ford's negligence was a cause of his injuries. They don't just waltz into court and say "hey I got hurt. It must be Ford's fault."

Second, keep in mind that out of that 18 million, he will paying his attorneys close to 40%. Out of the remaining 60% he also has to pay all of the costs of litigation and trial, which in a case like this, could be enormous. You have experts working at several thousand dollars per hour. And for trial, things get pushed back and you end up paying those experts tens of thousands of dollars for sitting in the hall because the previous witness took longer than expected. You may be paying them for their travel time as well if they are not from the area. Copy charges alone would make you shit your pants in cases this big.

Then he also has to pay any medical liens that may exist, and those could be well over a million dollars. In addition to that, he will, in the future, need to pay for his medical care which is probably very, very expensive.

And he is being compensated for his past and future pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and past and future loss of earning until his late 70s. All of a sudden that number doesn't seem so large.

Can you put a number on being able to walk or have children or the number of other things a person in this situation has had taken away from them?

And this is an amount that will have to suffice for the rest of his life.

Storm Davis wrote:

I don't know if its high enough. The only way to get corporations to make changes is to hit them in the pocket so hard that they don't want to have it happen again, for fear of suffering an additional financial loss.

So an effective judgment is one that makes it fiscally prudent for the automaker to fix the problem in the future. Because if they can just pay to make it go away on the occasions it does happen and continue to reap profits that offset that payment, they won't bother with any changes they don't absolutely have to make. The money is going to win out over human decency on every occasion that escapes the eye of the media, where bad publicity can lead to decreased revenue.

Also, if you do indeed think before you speak, you do a piss poor job of it.

These two constructive responses were the best at addressing my devil's advocacy, and the fact that I failed to take into account the large amount of ongoing care and financial support Mr. Pierson will need for the rest of his life. And it's true, I didn't think it through, replying to the initial post based more on disgust with the sue-crazy American way and weren't meant to insult Dax or his people. I failed to convey that, and I apologize.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 6:19 am
Jesse

That's fucking amazing news, the fact that a lot more would be a lot better notwithstanding.

And I want everyone rejoicing right now to remember how they feel RIGHT NOW next time they feel like rolling their eyes at supposedly "sue-crazy" America. Remember that you know there are reasons for it, and for why the numbers seem so big before you break them down, and all of the reasonable shit you were just called upon to say to Captiv8 when he didn't think it through.

Then DON'T roll your eyes after all. Remember this.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 10:32 am
redball

The number is too small if it was faulty manufacturing.

I bet a judge would have ruled in favor of Ford in this case. We'll never know, though.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 10:57 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Jesse wrote:
That's fucking amazing news, the fact that a lot more would be a lot better notwithstanding.

And I want everyone rejoicing right now to remember how they feel RIGHT NOW next time they feel like rolling their eyes at supposedly "sue-crazy" America. Remember that you know there are reasons for it, and for why the numbers seem so big before you break them down, and all of the reasonable shit you were just called upon to say to Captiv8 when he didn't think it through.

Then DON'T roll your eyes after all. Remember this.

save for the frivolous lawsuits. Which do exist. Because people see big money in lawsuits and want a piece of the pie.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:00 am
tommi teardrop

The thing is though, big money is usually awarded to people who have had seriously invasive surgical procedures and who will need continuing medical care throughout their life.

As someone who works for a personal injury plaintiff lawyer, I can assure you that there are people that exaggerate their injuries, but I have yet to come across a person that undergoes a life threatening surgery in order to get some skrill.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen ever, but I think the majority of cases where plaintiffs are awarded large sums of money are not frivilous at all.

When they are frivilous, defense counsel is usually intelligent and skilled enough to point that out and thus limit the amount of damages awarded. It is sort of the whole point of our justice system with relation to civil suits.

The whole frivilous lawsuit hysteria is a tool for conservatives who are backed by the insurance industry.

People read these bullshit summaries of the McDonald's hot coffee case or see sub rosa video of a plaintiff at disneyland on 20/20 and they conclude, just as the industry wants us to, that a good deal of these claims are bogus and the reason for our rates being so high.

They did the same thing with med-mal cases, telling the public that we won't have any doctors left because they can't get insured due to the sue happy public. Now most states have caps on those damages.

Why blame the insurance companies when you can blame the victims of car accidents other personal injury actions?

People actually criticized John Edwards for being the type of lawyer that gets verdicts like Dax's.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:18 am
the mean
Certified O.G.

That post is the most I have ever agreed with Tommi on this forum.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:23 am
Jesse

the mean wrote:
That post is the most I have ever agreed with Tommi on this forum.
I think me too! My uncertainty stems from not being certain I've never agreed as much or more before, not because I'm not sure if I agree with this very much because I am sure that I do.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 am
poopsnack

This is sooo fucked up! I used to know a guy who worked for Ford. True Story.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 4:02 pm
poopsnack

I didn't want to add to that first post because I thought it was perfect as is. Truth is, I was telling my GF about the settlement, and 18 is clearly not enough. It's horrific what happened, and I would not willingly go through it for 10 times that amount. Having it happen on accident is truly tragic.
Post Fri May 29, 2009 4:06 pm
Invisible Robots

CAPTIV8... digust with sue happy america?

it's not like he fell at a grocery store and demanded 18 million.
the man is fucking paralyzed for life.

18 million too much? What price would you put on your own arms & legs?

Your second post seemed almost just as un-thought out as the first one.

fuck man...
Post Fri May 29, 2009 11:26 pm
Stanley K.

Okay i didn't to post but to say...Dax is really a great guy.

I went on tour with him through Europe with Sage, Sole, Adam and Jel in 2003 and he was the resounding middle ground of sanity and peace among some very strong unbalanced personalities, including my own.

When i heard about his accident I was very sad to hear that such a positive guy could befall such a tragedy.

The settlement of the lawsuit is great, but not enough.

For the kind of radiant spirit that Dax possesses the only justice would be a full and complete recovery.

So come on robot nerds build that space spine!

Could you do it for 18 milli (- 40%?)???
Post Sat May 30, 2009 11:07 pm
Captiv8

Invisible Robots wrote:
CAPTIV8... digust with sue happy america?

it's not like he fell at a grocery store and demanded 18 million.
the man is fucking paralyzed for life.

18 million too much? What price would you put on your own arms & legs?

Your second post seemed almost just as un-thought out as the first one.

fuck man...

Look, I think the fact that people know Dax Pierson, who by all accounts is a really great guy, and the entire struggle he's been through since the accident makes it almost a given to praise this tentative legal and financial victory. Again, I never said he didn't deserve compensation, and have already admitted that my statement of saying the money was too much failed to take into account all of the ongoing costs, as well as inability to do the majority of things, when I made my first post. I fail to see how admitting I was wrong is poorly thought out. You're attacking me for something I already addressed and corrected.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 10:24 am
Invisible Robots

I'm not attacking you... I dont even know you.

Dax Pierson isnt a part of my life, and I wont lose sleep over him, But honestly It's a fuckedup situation. I feel really bad for the guy, and you know, if he would have made 100 million.. then I would feel really good for him. I cant imagine how i'd feel if that situation "hit home", like having a friend or relative that was paralyzed.

why even mention "sue happy america" at all ????

that kinda made you look like you were saying Dax went "sue happy".

sue happy is fat people taking McDonalds to court for making them fat (true case).

Seriously, I dont care that much to really "attack" you... just keeping the 'conversation' going, and sharing my own opinion.

My final take: you are always entitled to your own opinion. I said what I had to, and you did too.

I really wish the best for Dax, even though his life can never be, even a fraction of what it once was.

my two cents. peace.
Post Sun May 31, 2009 7:29 pm
Captiv8

Fair enough, Mr. Robots. I do wish the best for Dax and hope for some kind of bionic technology advancement.
Post Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:53 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3