Search
Register
SFR Showcase in CONNECTICUT on May 23rd.
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

SFR Showcase in CONNECTICUT on May 23rd.  Reply with quote  

May 23, 2009
New London, CT

at the El'n'Gee Club

B. Dolan
Prayers for Atheists
Prolyphic
Special Guest: Sage Francis

$12 at the door.

All ages.

Doors at 8. Show at 9.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 04, 2009 11:00 am
skobie won

that show was amazing loved every second
Post Sat May 23, 2009 11:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Thanks, man. I'm glad you made it out. And I was really happy to see Shane pop in during the PFA set.

My brother showed up with 4 people which was a total surprise. The crowd was really not big enough to make me think I should play CT more often. The sound was atrocious and my ears are still ringing. But everyone put on a damn good show. I was having fun even though I was antagonizing Mr. Dolan to no end. But when I rap I really need a lot of space around me or else I start getting anxieties. haha
Post Sun May 24, 2009 12:58 am
EatTheMeek

Sage Francis wrote:
The sound was atrocious and my ears are still ringing.

That's no lie! I grew up going to this club and have some permanent ear damage to show for it. The sound there used to be so bad that it made Lupo's feel like an amphitheater. Always wear ear protection!
Post Sun May 24, 2009 1:09 am
skobie won

the sound at the gee is all ways like that. They really only care about there booze sales, people just don't go to the gee any more, Toads Place is usually a pretty nice turn out. im up set with CT for the turn out can't blame you for not playing here more often, a lot of People come to a show hang out for an hour and then leave i don't understand that concept. Great show regardless
Post Sun May 24, 2009 8:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared Paul

Sage Francis wrote:
Thanks, man. I'm glad you made it out. And I was really happy to see Shane pop in during the PFA set.

My brother showed up with 4 people which was a total surprise. The crowd was really not big enough to make me think I should play CT more often. The sound was atrocious and my ears are still ringing. But everyone put on a damn good show. I was having fun even though I was antagonizing Mr. Dolan to no end. But when I rap I really need a lot of space around me or else I start getting anxieties. haha

Super thanks to Adam and the RI crew for making the troop- and also to miss Sage Carbone and company for coming down from Wheelock, and folks from the CT poetry community as well. BUT ESPECIALLY TO BIG DADDY SHANE HALL FOR ROCKIN' THE EFF OUT DURING THE PFA SET IN HIS DIRTY FLASHER TRENCH COAT AND JUMPING ON STAGE TO HELP WITH THE 'PATRIARCHY PRESENTS' HOOK! HAHHHAHHAHA. It was purrrfect.

El n' Gee's is sort of a legendary northeast punk/hard core spot and it was great to get a chance to play there. We got invited back to perform at a 2 day punk festival they're having this summer- Reagan Youth, Mouth Sewn Shut, and Murphy's Law are all part of the projected line up, as well as local acts from ny and new england. We're pumped.

Prolyphic has been performing better than I've ever seen him- louder, more aggressive, bouncier, and just, more fun in general. B. Dolan's swagger and dominance over the crowd continues to grow and grow. When the album is done and all those songs fill the roster for his live set, my dude is going to be un-stoppable.
Post Sun May 24, 2009 11:24 am
mjacpa
i type like i'm having a seizure.

I drove from Mass for the show last night - long ass drive

Benard - Regarding the sign you held up with a CEO's address, what company is he CEO of? You may have said it but I to someone's previous point I could barely understand some of the words the sound was so bad. But it was a good performance.

Frankly I was disappointed with Sage's performance, I was hoping to hear some of the new songs he had done in providence a few months ago, as well as a longer set.

also, I had mentioned to Prolyphic during the show I think it would be really neat to hear "Survived another Winter" during these shows where every one is on stage....
Post Sun May 24, 2009 1:44 pm
Jared Paul

mjacpa wrote:
I drove from Mass for the show last night - long ass drive

Benard - Regarding the sign you held up with a CEO's address, what company is he CEO of? You may have said it but I to someone's previous point I could barely understand some of the words the sound was so bad. But it was a good performance.

Frankly I was disappointed with Sage's performance, I was hoping to hear some of the new songs he had done in providence a few months ago, as well as a longer set.

also, I had mentioned to Prolyphic during the show I think it would be really neat to hear "Survived another Winter" during these shows where every one is on stage....

B.'s sign very clearly said, "Warren Anderson." It was a small club and the sign was readable from anywhere in the crowd- the sign was also then passed around the room multiple times. If you aren't the type of person who can do a basic on-line search of a name and find out about the story for yourself simply because you don't have the name of the company, then that sign wasn't meant for you anyway. Warren was the CEO for Union Carbide- the company responsible for one of, if not the, largest industrial/chemical disasters in history. it doesn't exactly require a Lexis-Nexis account to dig up info on.

We've been promoting this show for 2 months now. Head-liner: B. Dolan, with Prayers For Atheists and Prolyphic opening, and "special guest" Sage Francis. He was billed as a special guest, at the bottom of the flyer for a reason. It was an SFR show head-lined by B. Dolan- NOT a Sage Francis show.

I'm glad you enjoyed B's set. Survived Another Winter got done with B., Pro, Sage, and Alias in Portland the night before. You would have like it- it was pretty great.
Post Sun May 24, 2009 2:09 pm
skobie won

you guys got on that punk show my friend chris jones is throwing that show im pretty sure haha i will be there with out a doubt
Post Sun May 24, 2009 11:14 pm
smake

Survived Another Winter performed by all? That just screams "DVD"....make it happen. Also more and more curious about the B. Dolan and Alias record.
Post Mon May 25, 2009 1:50 am
Jesse

Jared Paul wrote:
B.'s sign very clearly said, "Warren Anderson." It was a small club and the sign was readable from anywhere in the crowd- the sign was also then passed around the room multiple times. If you aren't the type of person who can do a basic on-line search of a name and find out about the story for yourself simply because you don't have the name of the company, then that sign wasn't meant for you anyway. Warren was the CEO for Union Carbide- the company responsible for one of, if not the, largest industrial/chemical disasters in history. it doesn't exactly require a Lexis-Nexis account to dig up info on.
Really? You aren't interested in communicating to people who don't get pre-emptively fired up and propelled into action over every potential issue they vaguely hear about whether they know what it is yet or not? He was asking because his interest was piqued - that means the sign did only part of its job with him. And you did step in to clean up the rest in the last part of that paragraph, but first you had to insult him for not Googling the name because you assume it would be impossible for him to have been unable to read it or remember it later?

Do you feel like that response advances the cause (I'm presuming you care about it) or hinders it? Do you kind of wish there was a "must be this tall to ride" sign for the revolution? Only maybe instead of "tall" it says "radicalized" and instead of "ride" it says "be spoken to respectfully by the dude who's cause you're trying to learn more about?"
Post Mon May 25, 2009 8:31 am
Travadone

pfa is too predjudice
Post Mon May 25, 2009 12:23 pm
Jared Paul

Jesse wrote:
Jared Paul wrote:
Really? You aren't interested in communicating to people who don't get pre-emptively fired up and propelled into action over every potential issue they vaguely hear about whether they know what it is yet or not? He was asking because his interest was piqued - that means the sign did only part of its job with him. And you did step in to clean up the rest in the last part of that paragraph, but first you had to insult him for not Googling the name because you assume it would be impossible for him to have been unable to read it or remember it later?

Do you feel like that response advances the cause (I'm presuming you care about it) or hinders it? Do you kind of wish there was a "must be this tall to ride" sign for the revolution? Only maybe instead of "tall" it says "radicalized" and instead of "ride" it says "be spoken to respectfully by the dude who's cause you're trying to learn more about?"

Mjacpa's a big boi and he can handle his business without you flying in to save the day. You wanna know about a dude referenced in song, book, or performance art set? LOOK IT UP. You wanna not be disappointed driving a long way while expecting to see more of Sage, when B. Dolan is the actual head-liner? READ THE FLYER. You don't like my way of 'communicating' with other forum members? You're free to 'communicate' with them and fill in the gaps anyway you like, please leave me to mine. Sometimes, a little tough love can go a long way- and also, maybe, save big B and Fran the time it takes to explain a million questions that are one google search or myspace check away.

And, a lot of times you sound like a Weinie. Did I spell that right? Hold on...
There, it is "Weinie." I just looked it up! See how awesome that was? No 'J. Dangerously Revolution Roller-coaster' height requirement necessary!! And, i have no use for 'Revolution.' 'Revolution' is something that people who don't do a lot of organizing in real life yell from stage to make college kids think about Che Guevara tee shirts. Add 'poet' and 'activist' to that list as well.

Damn it feels good to be a gangster.

Smake! I DO wish somebody had gotten the full Survived Another Winter jam done in Portland on film. It was fucking off the chain, and actually, very organic- like it almost seemed unplanned but was none the less sharp and exactly what you'd hope that song would be live.

In New London, we ended up talking to Chris for a long time after the El n' Gee show. He knows a whole shit ton about punk rock and hard core, and seemed like a great guy. I'm pretty sure Saturday, July 25th is the day we'll be playing the fest, but that's not final yet. It'd be great to see ya there Skobie. Hit me up at: JaredPaul1@gmail.com - if you're not on Chris's list, we'll definitely put you on ours.
Post Mon May 25, 2009 1:31 pm
Jesse

Jared Paul wrote:
And, a lot of times you sound like a Weinie. Did I spell that right? Hold on...
There, it is "Weinie." I just looked it up! See how awesome that was?
Wienie. Play on wiener, Anglicization of vienner or Vienna-style sausage. I before E. With the German root, E I would be pronounced "whiner."

Sometimes doing your own research leads to mistakes, or at least failed rhetoric.

Quote:

And, i have no use for 'Revolution.' 'Revolution' is something that people who don't do a lot of organizing in real life yell from stage to make college kids think about Che Guevara tee shirts. Add 'poet' and 'activist' to that list as well.
Yeah I was making fun of you. Not a big deal though.

Anyway whatever, I'm not trying to bust your chops. I just think being not-a-dick could serve you better in some circumstances than being a dick is likely to, and you disagree! That's pretty much the whole conversation, I guess.
Post Mon May 25, 2009 1:52 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

haha you gotta be a special kind of person to get into it with Jared. Congrats, you made the claws come out. haha.

I wish I could have caught this show, if only it had been a few weeks earlier! Sounds like a good time. You kids are putting in work.
Post Mon May 25, 2009 5:47 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next