Search
Register
Death of the RIAA? TuneCore/Amazon for Music Publishing
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MorallyBass
The Hippie Terminator

Death of the RIAA? TuneCore/Amazon for Music Publishing  Reply with quote  

Link: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/05/amazon-to-unveil-on-demand-cd-printing-service-with-tunecore/

Quote:

"So you're an aspiring band and you haven't signed with a record label. Maybe you've got a fan base interested in purchasing your stuff but you're not really into accounting? Enter Amazon's partnership with TuneCore, a CD printing and music distribution service. You want to sell a full album on Amazon of you brushing your teeth? $31. And you get about 40% back on sales, so selling nine digital copies of your CD will put you back in the black. There you have it, public availability on one of the largest online commerce sites for $31 no RIAA involved!"
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MessiahCarey

TuneCore bought me food this month.

Which was the first time I ever, successfully, depended on a single penny from music to help my day-to-day life (as opposed to the thousands and thousands of dollars I've put into it). And while I'm broke from the tour/CD, that I've made it all back and NOW can start putting food in my belly and - maybe soon enough - pay my fucking mortgage in full for a month it feels really good.

TuneCore FTW.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm
Jesse

Am I a sap for being with CDbaby rather than Tunecore? I feel exactly like Shane when my iTunes money buys our groceries. Could I be feeling that feeling more or am I probably good?
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:11 pm
Captiv8

Word to TuneCore. It sounds like a good way to get your work out there without taking a huge loss, and with a very real possibility of actually making some money with relatively low sales. I've been seeing CDs for a while now with either CDBaby or Tunecore designations and I've been wondering what that's about. Now I know.

Glad to hear you've recouper Shane. That has to feel good man.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm
MessiahCarey

Jesse wrote:
Am I a sap for being with CDbaby rather than Tunecore? I feel exactly like Shane when my iTunes money buys our groceries. Could I be feeling that feeling more or am I probably good?

Probably good. TuneCore also doesn't do physical distro, CDBaby does....but when I looked at the pricing for what they paid out for digital sales, they both seemed comparable.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:27 pm
redball

TuneCore doesn't promote your album, book venues, get you on talk shows, or put you on the radio. Until it does all of that then the RIAA won't be dead. As it is, being a successful RIAA-backed pop star is still multitudes more profitable than being independent. Until that becomes untrue the RIAA will live. As much as I hate what they've done, and dislike the organization, I don't really think it's in the best interest of artists for organizations like the RIAA or ASCAP to go away. As a customer and a citizen I only wish they were less influential and had their power capped legally.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:59 pm
Jesse

I've recently sustained an indirect but grave blow to my faith in performing rights organizations as a force for good. I don't know if SOCAN is very different from ASCAP or BMI, but they've got some fucking nerve in certain departments. And I say that as someone who gets these twenty dollar cheques most quarters and would hate to see them dry up...

But look at this: Promoter hit with $2000 retroactive bill for booking, paying SOCAN acts

Like, I signed on to let them do that on MY supposed behalf? I don't like it!
Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:22 pm
redball

I'm not saying that they are currently much of a force for good. I do see them as potentially being one. I think that if these organizations went away for 20 years artists would suffer significant setbacks in the interim. Perhaps in their current incarnations they are more on the negative side than the positive, I believe that artists need a somewhat powerful organization to represent them.

I'd like to see something of a union with more direct input from the artists instead of control by the major labels.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm
Jesse

I'm feeling you on all of that, rb.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:31 pm
Captiv8

For the artists on here: is CDBaby and TuneCore basically how a site like emusic.com works? You pay an initial cost to have the album "distributed" electronically, and then you receive 40% or the profits that album makes? I've always been curious about this.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:46 pm
Jesse

Captiv8 wrote:
For the artists on here: is CDBaby and TuneCore basically how a site like emusic.com works? You pay an initial cost to have the album "distributed" electronically, and then you receive 40% or the profits that album makes? I've always been curious about this.
Yes, except it's 91% in most cases.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 3:00 pm
Ardamus315

Jesse wrote:
Captiv8 wrote:
Yes, except it's 91% in most cases.

Plus, the higher you set how much you want your CD to be, the better you are on Tuncore. i've made about $200 in sales from it so far......its been about a year and some change though......

and they distribute to iTUNES (U.S. and other countries), eMUSIC, Napster, Aimee Street, LaLa, Rhapsody, and etc. they have the CD pressing option as well.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 3:14 pm
Embryo

redball wrote:
TuneCore doesn't promote your album, book venues, get you on talk shows, or put you on the radio. Until it does all of that then the RIAA won't be dead. As it is, being a successful RIAA-backed pop star is still multitudes more profitable than being independent. Until that becomes untrue the RIAA will live. As much as I hate what they've done, and dislike the organization, I don't really think it's in the best interest of artists for organizations like the RIAA or ASCAP to go away. As a customer and a citizen I only wish they were less influential and had their power capped legally.

I think it depends on whether you think artists should be -able- to make huge profits compared to hours invested. I kinda don't. I kinda think there's no reason why music ought to make people millions.
Post Fri May 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Jump to: