Search
Register
Curtis Plum show in BOISE May 18th. He has a plannnnnnnn
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Curtis Plum show in BOISE May 18th. He has a plannnnnnnn  Reply with quote  

Curtis sent me this email a while back and I'm not sure if the info was posted anywhere. I'm going through old emails right now and this shit made me laugh.

"I've got a show on May 18th with Ed Schrader and Hieght with Friends at a place called the Blues Bouquet, starts at 8, its on 11th and Main Boise ID 83702. It should be fun cuase the place is being boycotted. Sole, YakBallz, Micah 9, all these legit emcees have had really bad turnouts. I guess its the new management. So I talked to Height and what I'm gonna try to do is bring in a bunch of mannequins for a fake crowd."
Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:04 pm
CriticalTheory_Breakfast

thats fucking great. haha

I haven't gotten into his music, but this makes me really dig Curtis Plum
Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:24 pm
PatrickBateman

yessss.

hahaha. I would DEFINITELY see a Curtis Plum show if it came within a few hundred miles.
Post Sun May 17, 2009 9:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TheCurtisPlum

Ha. The thing is I've been looking at mannequins on ebay and they're pretty god damned expensive, like 200 bucks a pop. And I wanted like 15 at least for the show. I've been doing some mannequin research since I got the idea.

Its interesting to look at the classifications of mannequins you can buy online. You got your classic mannequin which looks like a 1950s type clige american with shit eating grin. You got your abstract mannequin which looks like a wire frame square head guy, no facial features, (think of the mysteriousness of an abstract mannequin man and the appeal they must have to the ladies! Clint Eastwoods got nothing on an abstract mannequin). Then you got your model mannequins which are these super realist plastic model women. I think they may have actually been human models at one time but they mannequified them because they were slacking on hitting poses consistently. They look very real but the shitty thing is I'd much rather have a fine mannequin with some meat on her bones that doesn't look like a 7 foot tall alien as many human models do. Then you got your headless mannequin, and so on, all varying in price. You can tell the model mannequins aren't even for store use. They're obviously selling em to rich lonely bachelors.

Anyway, I didn't think I could hook it up becuase of pricing, but a hairstylist I just met claims to have some mannequin heads left over from beauty school and what I'm gonna try to do is pseudo mannequins. Like scarecrows on dowels with real mannequin heads. Budget mannequins and that. I really want to make it happen for Hieght becuase I think hes cool. The guy spit blood on Jackson O in a video and it makes me piss my pants every time I watch it. But then, you know how reliable hairstylists are.

Whether I get the mannequins together or not I do have a plan. I will buy a mannequin man and dress him up as Annekin Skywalker, then take him with me everywhere I go and say "LOOK EVERYONE, ITS MANNEQUIN SKYWALKWER!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!" for the wrest of my days.
Post Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Ah!
When I was at the Brimfield flea market there was a booth busted ass mannequins for $15 or so. It's probably too late to check out flea markets, but it's not too late to offer free tickets to a bunch of homeless people. I've always wanted to do that.
Post Sun May 17, 2009 10:16 pm
adic

haha... best post in a while...

One of my friends used to make a fake car pool dummy so he could take the car pool lane to work in the morning. He'd stuff a hoody with a pillow and various other things, then put a hat on the make-shift head he put together, and position the dummy like he was sleeping... it worked well...

You could probably make some homemade shit if you're really trying to get down on the dummy tip...

Last edited by adic on Mon May 18, 2009 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 17, 2009 10:22 pm
leifkolt

cardboard cut outs? scarecrows? clothes hanging from the ceiling?

Homeless people would be excited too.

You could get a bunch of stuffed animals and have a tea party.
Post Sun May 17, 2009 10:50 pm
Dr Sagacious

Get like thirty cut-outs of Shaq.
Post Sun May 17, 2009 11:50 pm
Buddy Peace

Do keep an eye out for closing down clothes stores - usually a good source of mannequins, I've sometimes seen them left out in the street because they just don't know what to do with them. I can think of hundreds of uses. A fake crowd is genius though - photos are a must, Curtis. Make it happen!
Post Mon May 18, 2009 2:24 am
Jared Paul

Yeaahhhhhhhhh BOIIIIIII-se!

Innovative big Curtis. Wish I could be there. Boise is an awesome lil'spot. So many kids on bikes and girls that make me wanna cut myself...

I will be looking forward to seeing you in August though. PFA brings it's own mannequins and all 4 of us will be holding down the center-middle of the crowd for ya.

GO BRONCOS!
Post Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse

Oh shit, I played with Height like five years ago at Halifax Pop Explosion... headliners at the showcase were Grand Buffet.

Wait no I didn't... I SAW Height at Pop Explosion opening for Grand Buffet. I wasn't performing. I just traded CDs because I am a hot shot. Anyway Height was a dope surprise out of nowhere. Baltimore or something? He was with his homeboy called "Bow N Arrow."
Post Mon May 18, 2009 8:43 pm
TheCurtisPlum

Played the show. Ended up not being able to do the mannequin thing because of cost and circumstance.

It was my worst shows since I started playing again but I don't really give a shit other than I wanted to represent for Height with friends. I've had gnarly bad cold and I tried making it through my set but ended up calling it quits after a few songs.

Anyway, Height seemed to have something very special going on from talking to him and watching him and his friends play. There have been many hip hop shows coming through town but I haven't been affected by one really until I saw Height with friends.

I have been living a semi monastic lifestyle for three or four years in terms of not owning anything at all except a few pairs of clothes and a laptop. Height gave me a vinyl and it meant a great deal to me after watching his set. I haven't bought a cd or record for years but I'm going to hold on to it. Big ups to Height and his friends.
Post Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 am

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: