Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Company Flow, Special Ed, Love Potion 5, & more updates
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Author Message
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7627
 Reply with quote  

lets be real, who gives a fuck what jesse thinks, he's wack.


hey check this Company Flow article in LA Times
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/05/album-review-company-flows-funcrusher-plus-reissue-.html
Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Inedible Condiment wrote:
While I agree with Jesse on most of his points (like Lif's song paling to AR's... though it's not terrible.) I have to point out Jesse, that I think your distaste for blue-collar anthem-type songs is weird, and frankly, silly. Rapping is fun, and can be a great escape, but like all other forms of art, it also lends itself to illustrating the mundane in colours previously unseen by our mind's eye. You want people to rap intelligently? Check. About something to which many people can relate, and thus take something from it? Check. Good beats and flow? Check.
Get off this "bourgeois complaint" thing... it looks bad on you. And you're a guy who pulls off wearing a tie onstage (and you're not a pop-punk group from Scandanavia) so that's saying something.
I think of them as white-collar anthems, that's the thing! Blue-collar anthems are more like "Buying Out The Bar" by the Beatnuts, in my mind:

I just wanna get my freak in the club...
something something something...
I been working all week, what the fuck?
Every lady in the house, show me love!


Or some real rise of the proletariat shit, like Modulok from Red Ants writes.

Maybe I let my estimation of the Lif song colour the Aes joint though?

But yeah homie, please stop telling me what makes me look good or bad. I appreciate that you're straight with me and not a jerk even when we disagree, but I feel like I can deal with the repercussions of how I seem to people like my own grown-up! Thanks dude. Not trying to be a jerk at all.
Post Sat May 09, 2009 12:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Travadone



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 2977
Location: LI(f)E SUCKS (The Album)
 Reply with quote  

Jesse,shut the fuck up,you sound like an idiot typing "homie",I know its because your a wack canadian myspace rapper but stop
Post Sat May 09, 2009 10:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message
adic



Joined: 07 May 2009
Posts: 727
Location: SJC
 Reply with quote  

remind wrote:
Can we talk about Love Potion 5 now? Anyone grab it? How is it? Talk to me.


It's pretty good... Production wise it's hit and miss at times, but that's just my opinion. I can be picky about production... Mac is Mac, spittin dope raps on the whole thing. Overall one of the better Love Potions albums.

I also picked up the new Doom, and the G & E album. I wasn't really expecting much out of either of these albums, and was suprised at how dope both these albums are. The new Doom is probably my favorite Doom album out of all of his releases, and Grouch is sounding more like the old Grouch I used to love on the G & E album...
Post Sat May 09, 2009 1:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Travadone wrote:
Jesse,shut the fuck up,you sound like an idiot typing "homie",I know its because your a wack canadian myspace rapper but stop
Fuck are you close to being finished yet? Other people want their turn on my nuts, too.
Post Sat May 09, 2009 3:06 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Travadone



Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 2977
Location: LI(f)E SUCKS (The Album)
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
Travadone wrote:
Jesse,shut the fuck up,you sound like an idiot typing "homie",I know its because your a wack canadian myspace rapper but stop
Fuck are you close to being finished yet? Other people want their turn on my nuts, too.
you have a lisp. lol.
Post Sun May 10, 2009 6:04 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
jstile



Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Posts: 1236
Location: London
 Reply with quote  

Damn I forgot about this thread, I have stuff I wanna say!

Trav – as I said way back on the first page... fair enough if you don't like Co Flow but denying its impact on the whole indie/backpacker scene is just ridiculous. From my perspective, that whole scene had nearly no exposure on this side of the pond until Funcrusher Plus. I'm not saying the album did it single handedly, but it played its part in the international exposure of indie hip hop.

mancabbage – was the El-P show with the crazy crowd you were talking about the one in Camden around the time I'll Sleep... dropped? I was there man, that shit was fucking insane. I bruised my fucking rib!

Jesse – I think you've got a valid point with some of the things you say about Labour Days, but mate, what do you rap about that is so much worthier than talking about work? If it's anything like half the shit you post here then I tell you, it's not resonating with half as many people.

Oh, and I can't listen to No Regrets any more. I crashed my car while it was playing and I get mad flashbacks.
Post Sun May 10, 2009 6:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Dr Sagacious



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 1843
Location: Redford
 Reply with quote  

Having regrets about "No Regrets"?
Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

jstile wrote:
Jesse – I think you've got a valid point with some of the things you say about Labour Days, but mate, what do you rap about that is so much worthier than talking about work? If it's anything like half the shit you post here then I tell you, it's not resonating with half as many people.
I call time out on non-rappers bringing my raps (or what they imagine my raps are probably like) up as counterpoint to my opinions in critical discussions of the work of other artists.

I don't claim to have ever made an album as good as Labour Days. That's not where I'm coming from. I'm speaking as a consumer when I break down my opinion on this shit (albeit one who thinks about these things a lot for his own purposes), not a peer.

Agree with my assessment or don't! There's never been a point where I said *I* was better. I said Bazooka Tooth was better.

I wrote none of the raps on either album.
Post Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jstile



Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Posts: 1236
Location: London
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
I call time out on non-rappers bringing my raps (or what they imagine my raps are probably like) up as counterpoint to my opinions in critical discussions of the work of other artists.


Call time on it all you want, but it'll still happen. If you put part of yourself out there in public through the medium of art then it becomes fair game. You can't change that.

Jesse wrote:
Agree with my assessment or don't! There's never been a point where I said *I* was better. I said Bazooka Tooth was better.


But this is very true.
Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:18 am
 View user's profile Send private message
mancabbage



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 9208
Location: london
 Reply with quote  

yes man, camden. past the bridge, i forget the name of the venue but that was mental, loved it.. i was right at front to, crazy eh. never met ya but was probably standing right next to you wasn't that big a venue if i remember rightly.
Post Mon May 11, 2009 9:12 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

jstile wrote:
Jesse wrote:
I call time out on non-rappers bringing my raps (or what they imagine my raps are probably like) up as counterpoint to my opinions in critical discussions of the work of other artists.
Call time on it all you want, but it'll still happen. If you put part of yourself out there in public through the medium of art then it becomes fair game. You can't change that.
I think I'm not being clear. I'm not saying "hey, lay off me, my rap feelings are hurt." I completely agree that it's fair game for people to say and think whatever they want about my work. It's not like I'm too cool to get off on the attention.

But it has nothing to do with discussions of other artists' work. When people point out that I'm shitty and unpopular as a response to me saying I prefer a record they don't prefer or hate a song they love, it's not unfair to me as an artist. It's just a bad way to have a conversation, and it winds up turning every thread I post in into being about me, and despite what some may think I have ZERO interest in that.
Post Mon May 11, 2009 10:39 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP


Joined: 19 Jul 2002
Posts: 7627
 Reply with quote  

back on topic this is from el-p on the def jux forum:




a few tings about funcrusher plus.
by hoppygolucky on Sat May 09, 2009 1:48 am

wow. some of you guys are really unhappy with the rerelease of funcrusher plus. let me try to address a few things. then i will slink away to my hole and you can all talk about how terrible everything we do is again.

i released this record (in its physical form) the way it was dropped originally. the only difference is that it has been remastered. not remixed, remastered. which basically means its louder and bumps a little more. it is no less "dusty", however. i did it this way because i thought it should be out there as a record of something that meant something to people and had a place in history (somewhere). it has not been commercially available for years and even before it was pulled off the shelf it had somewhat faded from the halls of retail and the public conscience. i felt like it would be nice for the thing to be out there for people who may not have had the chance to hear it when it dropped all those years ago and also for folks that may have had it but lost it, broke it, set it on fire, etc to to get a chance to own a crispy copy again that sounded as good as possible either on cd or vinyl or both.

but el, why didnt you put more on the cd and vinyl you piece of shit?? why didnt you put simple, dpa, corners 94, juvenile techs, hit me with that shit 94, and simian drugs on the cd? what the fuck??? the answer is simple:

BECAUSE IT WOULDNT FIT. when you start getting above the 55 minute mark the sound on a cd start going down hill. funcrusher plus clocks in a 74 minutes, which is literally as much music that can be put on a cd without it sounding like its coming out of a teddy ruxpin. the reason corners 94 wasnt on the cd when it dropped in 1997 is because it wouldnt fit. even back then we took a lot of heat from "diehards" about that. only folks who got the vinyl had corners 94. it is what it is. so you can see i hope that adding on 6 new songs to a cd that already ran 74 minutes might be a problem, right? all of those songs are however on the digital release that you can buy from the def jux store. i put them on because there are people who simply didnt have them.

but el, you faggot... why only 1 never before heard song?

well, because only one existed that was worth sharing. it was a song we recorded shortly after juvenile techs called "hit me with that shit" that we ended up scrapping. i found it in the files and thought that despite the fact that we passed on it for release back then that you guys might find it cool to hear. you can buy that directly from itunes as a single track if you like or steal it. i dont care. its for you either way. in fact, steal the whole fucking record if you like. if its not a big deal to you to get a new cd or new vinyl then thats ok with me. we arent trying to blow company flow up. just release a record we are proud of that started everything for us and got caught in label bullshit for years. if you already have it all good.

but what about patriotism and n to n burners??? i dont own those. your favorite label rawkus does, and they are in no way getting another dollar from me ever again.


yeah but el why isnt it filled with lyrics, crazy new packaging, holographic liner notes, etc? by the way el you're a piece of shit and your record label sucks...

well because i wanted to put the record out as it was. as a time capsule. not revised history, but history. we look at that record like a piece of artwork. packaged and presented the way we wanted it to be when it came out and a piece of our history, for better or worse. everything that went in to that, from the matt do (rip) piece to the ewok piece to the pictures in the liners and the cd tray meant something to me and us and i had no emotional reason to change it. only a monatary reason, and that wasnt motivating to me.

its a catalogue piece that some people might like to know was out there and available if they ever wanted another copy or felt like putting a friend up on it. the same way i know i can go cop criminal minded today at best buy or virgin or who ever actually carries cds anymore. to see you guys say oh fuck that i would rather see "rawkus" on there than def jux kind of hurts for many reasons. but i wont bore you with them. suffice to say if you knew how hard we got it in the ass from them and how hard it was to wrestle the record away from a label who was happy to let our record just fade in to oblivion you might not say that. who knows.

but el. come one. lets cut to the fucking chase, you filthy whore. where in the flying fuck is the last company flow show dvd? you've been saying for years you were going to put that out with this rerelease! fag.

well heres the honest truth about the dvd: it just wasnt possible to get it together for various licensing and technical reasons. i thought we had made it very clear whats going to be contained in this re release for many months. i would love to share that with you all some day but its a bigger undertaking than you might realize. the main issue was sound. the audio files are fucked. the other issue is that it is a licensing nightmare. in our show we use various music from other people in our set and its been a fucking nightmare to get it cleared. that coupled with the fact that i really didnt want to just slap it together to try and bundle with the cd and then have to charge like 40 bucks for the whole thing made us rethink the dvd aspect. at this point what is more likely to happen is that i will edit together certain parts of that shit and give it to you for free in high res fashion. im am sorry that we werent able to provide that for you.


i hope that clears up some of the issues you have, at least in terms of understanding why we did it the way we did and what the intentions behind it are. for what its worth all i really wanted was to put the music out again. the album is, i think, worth being out there on the market for people to discover again or for the first time. if you arent compelled to get the cd or vinyl then go ahead and get the 1 song you never had and call it a day. i understand.

for me i am rarely the type of cat to really look too far back in time. i like to move forward with new music and ideas. it was kind of hard to figure out how to do this rerelease and not feel a little dirty. at the end of the day the easiest and least dirty feeling way to do it was to just simply put it back on the market, make it sound a little better for the whip and give the fans a few goodies that they may not have had easy access too. so thats what we did.

anyway im off. i am recording my song for djxp4. it has lif, despot, rob sonic, aesop rock, cage, yak, me, weathermen, cool calm pete, chin chin, camu tao and central services on it. i think you will like it. we are trying to make great records that hold up to the standard we set for ourselves. records like none shall pass, iswyd and depart from me (you'll see) are really the essence of what im proud of on this label, not to mention many many others. im hard at work making sure you guys get to finally get a despot record, a camu tao record, a funcrusher plus instrumental record, a new el-p record and a weathermen record within the next year. i am also putting together a weareallgoingtoburninhell redux cd which will be some of my favorite joints off the series mixed, mastered and in some cases remixed. anyway the point is im busy trying to put out stuff i think is good music and i hope you enjoy it.

peace, el
hoppygolucky
Definitive Jux Associate
Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous


Joined: 30 Jun 2002
Posts: 21492
 Reply with quote  

In other news, El-P tweeted about losing 6 month's worth of work recently. And he can't retrieve it. As someone who's been through similar shit, I would just like to send this guy some well wishes. Because that shit fucking SUCKS.
Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
In other news, El-P tweeted about losing 6 month's worth of work recently. And he can't retrieve it. As someone who's been through similar shit, I would just like to send this guy some well wishes. Because that shit fucking SUCKS.
That is fucking wretched news. I hate even knowing that.
Post Mon May 11, 2009 4:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 pm
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon