Search
Register
Company Flow, Special Ed, Love Potion 5, & more updates
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

mancabbage

Neuro wrote:
back on the SUBJECT of el-p and co-flow

ILL SLEEP WHEN YOU'RE DEAD is the BEST

that record has only grown on me since i first heard it, so many layers i can't wait to see what he does next, saw him on the tour for that record twice, first time was one of the best gigs ive been too. crowd was insane.

jesse, you mental patient you, im gona have to go back and re listen to bazooka tooth now.. see if i judged it prematurely
Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:05 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Sage Francis wrote:
That is just for digital. Which I find to be very wack.

man, that is very wack

im wondering if those tracks are remastered as well

because they do exsist on that mr len presents class x tribute to co -flow

also im wondering how the remastered sounds for the regular album if its that much of a difference cause i have the original already and those 6 tracks being on the new one was what really made me wanna get this

and since they are not on it ... shiiiiit.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:44 pm
Jesse

Neuro wrote:
also im wondering how the remastered sounds for the regular album if its that much of a difference cause
Well, the original sounds like it's playing from inside a bag of socks, half a mile away. I'd be pretty alarmed if the remaster didn't address that somewhat.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm
Embryo

I'm with Jesse on the BT analysis. Labor Days was good, but Bazooka Tooth was bananas. I can see where the criticisms come from though -- I don't think his rapping is as on point on that record as on basically anything else he's done -- it's kinda sloppy. Try and put one of those Build Your Own acapellas onto another beat-- it's tough to do because the time is all over the place. But the beats are incredible and the writing is fucking nuts. No Jumper Cables is my favorite Aesop Rock track ever, lyrically speaking.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 5:16 pm
remind

Can we talk about Love Potion 5 now? Anyone grab it? How is it? Talk to me.
Post Tue May 05, 2009 7:11 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

yeah i wanna hear that too
Post Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm
Dr Sagacious

Every Aesop album ever released is great. Labor Day makes sense lyrically, Jesse. I have no idea why you said that. How are you about to say that the 9-5ers Anthem doesn't make sense? And "No Regrets", that doesn't make sense lyrically either? Those are just two examples. Labor Days is gold, period.

I'm picking up both of those Mac Lethal albums, so I'll tell you guys how Love Potion No. 5 is.
Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:38 pm
Jesse

Dr Sagacious wrote:
Every Aesop album ever released is great. Labor Day makes sense lyrically, Jesse. I have no idea why you said that. How are you about to say that the 9-5ers Anthem doesn't make sense? And "No Regrets", that doesn't make sense lyrically either? Those are just two examples. Labor Days is gold, period.
Hey I like it, I just don't think it stands up well next to BT. "9-5ers Anthe"m is pretty coherent I suppose, but I don't really like the concept. There's way worse shit than having a job - it's a fairly petty bourgeois complaint, y'know? Not that it isn't put together with talent (it's about a million times better than the terrible song Lif did on the same topic).

I think "No Regrets" is overrated because everyone was so bugged at Aes tackling a straightforward narrative. I think it's good and I bumped it at the time, but I got really tired of it eventually. It suffers from being a little too simple, in my opinion; almost childish. The magic wears off.

I think BT is stronger - I only diminish LD by comparison. Oh and also the beats can be a little dry.
Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:33 pm
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

for each his own i guess huh

labor days is just a classic album for the struggling artists

its a great album and IMO it stands alone, why are you trying to compare it to bazooka tooth, two totally different records

its kinda like if you compared personal journals to a healthy distrust
Post Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm
mancabbage

Jesse wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:
Hey I like it, I just don't think it stands up well next to BT. "9-5ers Anthe"m is pretty coherent I suppose, but I don't really like the concept. There's way worse shit than having a job - it's a fairly petty bourgeois complaint, y'know? Not that it isn't put together with talent (it's about a million times better than the terrible song Lif did on the same topic).

I think "No Regrets" is overrated because everyone was so bugged at Aes tackling a straightforward narrative. I think it's good and I bumped it at the time, but I got really tired of it eventually. It suffers from being a little too simple, in my opinion; almost childish. The magic wears off.

I think BT is stronger - I only diminish LD by comparison. Oh and also the beats can be a little dry.

you think that lif song is terrible. what the fuck?
Post Thu May 07, 2009 1:18 pm
sick_transit

Jesse wrote:
"9-5ers Anthe"m is pretty coherent I suppose, but I don't really like the concept. There's way worse shit than having a job - it's a fairly petty bourgeois complaint, y'know?

Yeah, he should only write songs about being black in Darfur!!

I think you're criticism is pretty bourgeois. There's a long line of people who have written about jobs sucking.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 2:47 pm
Dr Sagacious

Jesse wrote:
Dr Sagacious wrote:

I guess you don't get the point behind that song, or the whole CD then? He's not bitching about having a job. He's bitching that the Laborforce does everything for measely scraps, and are given stupid shit to be happy over.

"No Regrets" is a great song, and people have a bad tendency of complaining over shit that hardly matters. Who cares if he's tackling a straightforward narrative? The song is great, and has a good message behind it.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 pm
Jesse

sick_transit wrote:
Yeah, he should only write songs about being black in Darfur!!
Where the shit did that come from?

Quote:

I think you're criticism is pretty bourgeois. There's a long line of people who have written about jobs sucking.
I don't think you know what bourgeois means, if your second sentence is intended to illustrate your first. Of course my criticism is bourgeois, I'm writing on the internet about indie rap. My point was that it's PETTY in its scope. There are all kinds of occupations about which one can reasonably gripe about unfair treatment - I am, after all, a union booster - I just think that any kind of "anthem" about office work being grinding and spiritually unfulfilling is tantamount to whining about something that isn't very bad. I worked in offices for like five years, and I could feel it sapping the parts of me that I needed to make art. I'm intimately familiar with the complaint. But who gives a fuck about it? It's a self-inflicted wound, and not the interesting kind.

It's a hard sort of song to even make tolerable, and I commend Aesop Rock for doing even that much. But he didn't do a whole lot more than that, so I consider the song overrated.

Dr Sagacious wrote:
I guess you don't get the point behind that song, or the whole CD then? He's not bitching about having a job. He's bitching that the Laborforce does everything for measely scraps, and are given stupid shit to be happy over.
It ain't hard to tell. I don't think he hit the nail on the head, really, that's all. Any analysis that talks about what we're "given" posits a helplessness that's really unattractive in an adult white man.

Quote:

"No Regrets" is a great song, and people have a bad tendency of complaining over shit that hardly matters. Who cares if he's tackling a straightforward narrative? The song is great, and has a good message behind it.
Dude it's good it's just overrated in comparison and got old for me after about a year. You don't need to defend Aesop Rock to me, I am on the dick.
Post Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 pm
Dr Sagacious

I guess I take the album in the sense of Blue Collar workers. Like (good) auto workers, and the like. That's who I see him rapping about, or the life of one. I see your point though, and I agree if I took it in that context.

And Bazooka Tooth is fucking great, btw. Just wanted to put that out there. The Beats are awesome.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 3:59 pm
Inedible Condiment

While I agree with Jesse on most of his points (like Lif's song paling to AR's... though it's not terrible.) I have to point out Jesse, that I think your distaste for blue-collar anthem-type songs is weird, and frankly, silly. Rapping is fun, and can be a great escape, but like all other forms of art, it also lends itself to illustrating the mundane in colours previously unseen by our mind's eye. You want people to rap intelligently? Check. About something to which many people can relate, and thus take something from it? Check. Good beats and flow? Check.
Get off this "bourgeois complaint" thing... it looks bad on you. And you're a guy who pulls off wearing a tie onstage (and you're not a pop-punk group from Scandanavia) so that's saying something.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next