Search
Register
What is your experience buying a used car from a dealership?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

redball

Well, my GXE hasn't been too bad. The cost of ownership is pretty low. It's a pre-Renault vehicle (the alliance was there but the Sentra was the last model to be redone). I'm just not terribly happy with it for what I paid initially and I really hated their service department.

I never liked Hondas much. Personal preference. By far my fondest memories are reserved for my 86 Corolla SR5. I loved that cheap little thing.

But... I think American cars get a bad rap. I think my 96 Explorer is on its last legs, or at least ready to become a money pit, but it's still been a good vehicle. With the Americans what you look for is their bread and butter stuff. Any GM vehicle with a 3.8 liter V6 is good for 200k miles if you take care of it. Ford is great with small trucks. It's when they get cute with shit that you want to avoid those models. Like my wife's 93 Cougar, it had all sorts of fancy features that started systematically dying and turned the car into a ridiculous waste.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:26 pm
corporateslave

I just replaced the head gaskets on a 95 4runner I bought from a dealership last year. Luckily I found someone to do the whole job for only $450 in labor. It's hard to say whether they knew anything might be wrong with it or not, it worked fine for about 6 months. Buying used cars in general is a gamble.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 pm
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

prior to my MINI I had a 95 Maxima that was the shit. I never had any problems with it- but I changed the oil religiously at 2500k, and put premium gas in it. When I sold it, it had 150k on it. It was such a reliable car, I only had to replace a serpentine belt, muffler, and plugs... regular stuff.
Post Fri May 01, 2009 6:20 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

[quote="futuristxen"]
Dr Sagacious wrote:
futuristxen wrote:
I hate buying cars. It's the single most painful purchase I've ever gone through. I cried in front of the finance guy when I got my last car. It did not result in him lowering my rate. Those bastards are cold blooded. I hope this last car is my last car though. Cars are dumb, I hate them. I hate trying to take care of them. I hate buying them. I hate cleaning them. I would rather have a horse.[/quote

You still have to clean, feed, and house a horse.

Also, horses don't have air conditioning.

Horses clean themselves, I thought?

At any rate, at least a horse has personality, and can communicate with you. Feed is probably cheaper than gas, right? Maybe I'll get an elephant. Picture me pounding down the freeway on my elephant, with license plates around his neck like dog tags. His name would be Charlie. And he would move cars out of the way with his trunk. When drivers complained at me, I would just be like "what am I supposed to do? He's an elephant!!!"

No way, horses are lots of work- more than a car because you have to "clean" em before you use em. You can't just throw on a saddle and be like "Wheee here I go!" because all of the dust and dander trapped under the saddle bothers them.

Don't forget cleaning their hooves daily and getting them trimmed every few weeks. By someone who knows what they're doing so they don't go lame. Trav should like that...

Aaaand, they don't call them hay burners for nothing...

there's your daily barnyard facts.

you're welcome.
Post Fri May 01, 2009 6:26 am
redball

zagadka wrote:
prior to my MINI I had a 95 Maxima that was the shit. I never had any problems with it- but I changed the oil religiously at 2500k, and put premium gas in it. When I sold it, it had 150k on it. It was such a reliable car, I only had to replace a serpentine belt, muffler, and plugs... regular stuff.

The problem with pre-Renault Nissans is that they were designed using early 90's technology... going into 2000. Their manufacturing process was at least as spotty as any of the big 3, so you'd get some cars that were virtually bulletproof and others that were lemons. Renault took over and modernized their vehicle design and manufacturing reviving a dying manufacturer.

Unless your car is tuned to run on premium it's nothing but a waste of money. I'm pretty sure the Mini is tuned to make use of the higher octane, but I don't think the Maxima was.

This is a good summary, but I've read much the same in greater detail from other sources.

Quote:

Using high-octane gas in a car designed for regular accomplishes little except more rapid combustion of your money. Some refuse to believe this, claiming, for example, that premium gives the family Toyota better mileage or more power. These people are in dreamland. Others say premium is purer or contains detergents that will cleanse your engine of uncouth deposits. Likewise misguided thinking--government regulations require detergents in all grades of gasoline. (BP Amoco, I notice, asserts that its premium gasoline contains more detergents than legally required; if you think that's worth 20 extra cents a gallon, be my guest.) Some automotive types claim that using premium in a car designed for regular will make the engine dirtier--something about deposits on the back side of the intake valves. I've also heard that slower-burning high-octane gas produces less power when used in ordinary cars. Believe what you like; the point is, don't assume "premium" means "better."

edit: forgot url

Last edited by redball on Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 01, 2009 6:49 am
zagadka
DARK PAST HAVER

I know how octane works... the user manual for my Maxima recommended octane of 91 or higher... it was a weird number that isn't an option at pumps. The door to the gas cap also said "premium fuel recommended".
Post Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 am
redball

You're right, the Maxima did take premium fuel. Sorry about that.

I had to post about how octane works in response to yours because what you said, "I never had any problems with it- but I changed the oil religiously at 2500k, and put premium gas in it," didn't tell the story that you were putting the right gas in, just that you were putting premium in. Due to the name and higher price many many people assume that high octane gas will simply make their cars run better, with little to no proof. When you worded your post like that you seemed to be endorsing that myth (even though you weren't) and, regardless of whether you know it or not, I'll always post this information when I see statements as such.
Post Fri May 01, 2009 7:45 am
hexagone
n3wb 4 life

"she needs premium dude! PREEEEMIUUUUM!"

Post Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm
Storm Davis

Dream Inspired wrote:
red and i can vouch for not buying a nissan. i've had nothing but troubles with my 2003 SER's electrical system, which sucks because i really really like my car. i've owned it since it was new and it has 60 thousand miles on it... i'll bet that i haven't gone ten thousand miles without some type of problem.
three of my favorite/dream cars are made by nissan and i will never ever buy another one. go with a honda. i've had three or four hondas and they've all been great. i'll bet that my integra went at least fifty thousand miles with no problems.

On the flipside of this, I've been driving Pathfinders for over a decade and they've been outrageously reliable. I've had a '90, a '94. and currently drive a '97 with 170,000 miles on it. I also bought my dad a '95 at one point.

I had to replace the transmission on the '90 at 75,000 miles, and had to have the starter rebuilt on the '97 at 160,000 miles. That's it.

The engines have been straight. The reason I've had to get rid of them is because the body starts to rust from the inside out after about 10 years and eventually they won't pass inspection. Planned obsolescence I imagine.
Post Sat May 02, 2009 8:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
poisonfree

Hey to the "Stickk Shift Snob" comment I didn't say it was cooler or more fun. the OP obviously is looking to save money and simply put fixing a manual is cheaper than an auto. Literally $275 gets you an entirely rebuilt clutch at my local shop.

My Car record is as follows.

-84 Nissan Sentra (M) Lasted 220k miles, then the engine died. replaced clutch at 150k $290

-79 Ford Grenada (AT) (Me and jesus the pimp) tranny was replaced at 60,000 miles $2400, sold it years later at 85,000 miles for $500 to an Ex's friend who she was cheating with, tranny blew up again at 90,000 miles. Karma-High-Five.

-91 Ford Taurus (AT) Tranny replaced at 30,000 miles, & 60,000 miles cost $2300 both times. Tranny died a third time and I paid a scrap yard $50 to take it. F that car.

-89 Ford Ranger Pickup (M) , main drive shaft to rear wheels broke at 80,000 miles replaced for $500 , engine blew up at 110,000 miles, clutch was flawless until it's death.

-89 Ford Econoline Van (AT) Used to haul my wrestling ring for one year, at 80,000 miles it overheated in the summer, caught fire, and burned to the ground (WITH MY RING IN IT!) We have it on video.

-92 Honda civic (M) lasted 190,000 miles, favorite car. replaced the radiator once ($60 on ebay) sold it for $1300 3 years ago.

-84 Honda accord (M) I have had this car for about 10 years, It's been in the family and gets passed around as the loaner car when anyone has car trouble. It has 230,000 miles and runs the best out of any car of the bunch. I still have it. never replaced one thing besides spark plugs and wires. not even the clutch has been worked on.

-99 Honda CRV (M) I got this 3 years ago at 100,000 miles. it's at 140,000 miles now, I had the alternator replaced and had to change the fluid for the 4 wheel drive hub in the rear axle. I also had the valves adjusted for my own peace of mind (97-2000 CRV's don't have self adjusting valves)

my family has been strictly honda/toyota (Mom has civic, dad has civic, brother has accord, sister has corolla) after mine (and their) Ford/chevy/oldsmobile problems.
Post Sat May 02, 2009 9:17 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4