Search
Register
Registry Cleaning for PCs
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mzehe916

Registry Cleaning for PCs  Reply with quote  

How important is this? I just updated my Avira antivirus and it also suggested that I get the free registry cleaner. My laptop is about a year old, so is this something I should look into or is it not needed? I googled but only came up with ads and biased info.
Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:16 pm
poisonfree

you could just send me a txt msg and i would give u the 411
Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mzehe916

I just sent you a text message asking for the 411. I figured I might use this as a teachable moment for anyone else who is not computer saavy like myself! i.e. Sage
Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:22 pm
poisonfree

Ah, well the registry is how Windows keeps a record of what is installed/uninstalled from your computer. (among other system info)

Eventually it can get full of crap that is not relevant, generally this simply leaves the records behind and causes no ill effect to the PC. Sometimes if you remove a program in an unorthodox way it can cause system errors and pop up boxes because of the latent registry information.

That is when I would recommend a registry cleaner, but if you are not constantly installing/uninstalling programs and are not having any problems I wouldn't worry about it, because sometimes they can remove important registry entries for programs that you are still using.

This program used to be free and is one of the fastest/safest registry cleaning apps. the author now charges but he lets you install it and run a full scan as a trial, after that you can just uninstall the program until next time you need to clean your registry.

http://www.macecraft.com/download/jv16powertools2009/
Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mzehe916

Word! I went upstairs waiting for you to text me back, haha. I guess I don't need it yet. I'm pretty good at uninstalling programs that I don't like.
Post Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:59 pm
Self Conscious

CCleaner
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:23 pm
zeem

be careful. I've had to reinstall twice in the past due to "registry cleaners".
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:31 pm
Jascha

Useless.

Don't spend money on reg cleaners.

If your computer actually starts to have issues because of the registry, just reinstall the OS completely. It's far more effective, and if you actually have registry issues, you can bet there's more wrong with your pc anyhow, so a reinstall would have to be done anyway.

The speed-increases from a cleaned registry are virtually non-existent.

The only scenario in which you need a cleaner, *potentially* is if uninstalled programs fuck up, or get installed the wrong way and you have to remove faulty registry entries for complete uninstall.
And in those cases, you could just as well just search for the registry keys by hand - just as quick and you can be sure no other shit gets deleted for no good reason.
Post Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:03 pm
Dan Shay

Self Conscious wrote:
CCleaner
Post Fri May 01, 2009 10:39 am

Jump to: