Search
Register
Why do y'all give a fuck about "hip-hop"?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Shylax

I hear you now...

Word, though. My love for hiphop doesn't depend on some people's ignorance of history. And there's so much nowadays, even old farts like me need schooling on the new cats. That's why I build with cats like y'all. Y'all can give me emcees and songs to check for. And hopefully I can do the same.

Hiphop just gets me open. I'm open to all new and old joints. And I like to politick with like minded people. Sometimes hiphop makes me dance, laugh, sing, reflect, almost cry(LOL), etc. If something's dope, it's dope. If it's wack to me, than its wack. Its not based on any preconcieved notions of what hiphop should or shouldn't be. I'm just a fan who loves it. Pure and simple. And I'm not down for squashing someone else's love cause they don't know as much as me or aren't into the groups I think they should be into or don't want to know the old stuff or whatever. Worse comes to worse, I let them do their thing, sad we couldn't build but happy hiphop got another convert.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:06 pm
Reggie

Shylax wrote:
You're probably right and no beef but I vividly remember the frequency with which R.D was played. Me and my friends laugh when someone complains Nelly or someone gets mad airtime because we remember R.D's airtime.

Haha

Word, I was just making an annoying and funny/ironic post--technically, the Fatback song was earlier, but it was not played with the frequency nor did it have 1/1000th the impact on music that "Rappers Delight" did. I remember "Rappers Delight" on the radio, it was like one day it was all about Le Chic and the next you couldn't stop hearing that song. That it was so long and got so much airplay was an anomaly not matched since Iron Butterfly's "Inna-Godda-da-Vida."
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:22 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

This has been posted before, I know... but:

How many hip-hop heads does it take to change a light-bulb?

Ten. One to put a new one in, and nine to complain about how much better the old one was.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:32 pm
Reggie

Petrouchka Rasputin wrote:
This has been posted before, I know... but:

How many hip-hop heads does it take to change a light-bulb?

Ten. One to put a new one in, and nine to complain about how much better the old one was.

That joke is so played out, new jack.

See? This is ironic humor. Not very heavy on the humor or the irony.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:54 pm
Reggie

Just to can the poor humor for a minute, I was thinking about what Shylax is saying, and I have to admit that in essence, I agree. Music in general, and hip-hop specifically, were very important in my intellectual and social development, and it continues to be crucial today. The point I am trying to make is that some kid who misinterprets or denies historical fact doesn't bother me in the least. As important as rap is to me, I am not concerned with the presentation of an exacting historical and cultural record. It's more personal to me than that. Of course, if someone says, "DJ Q-Bert invented the scratch" or "hip-hop began in Detroit" (I have heard both of these contentions), I shake my head to myself, but I won't correct them. How much information do we base our lives on that is incorrect? The answer: there's no way to know.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:58 pm
Random Sample

Yeah I shake my head at a lot of things. I am starting to care what people say less and less. It is just hard to look the other way with some statements.

Shylax - I am down with sharing music. I am sure that there is shit that you know of that I don't know. And I am sure there is stuff that I know about that you don't just give me some suggestions.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:31 pm
CFL

Thanks y'all.  Reply with quote  

I think I poorly iterated my main point, props Shylax, that was the kind of response I was looking for...

There's honestly a part of me that is still jealous of what it must've been like to grow up in that ecosystem that was hip-hop when it first created itself. Sounds funny, but in 10th grade, when I saw KRS on Rhyme & Reason proclaim that in order to be hip-hop, you had to go to the Bronx, I was like "let's go!"...obviously that didn't happen, but it's like you were saying, it's fucking amazing that the culture that your neighborhood birthed and nurtured has reached BC, nevermind the rest of the entire globe...

I was not trying to be an elitist, nor prove how hip-hop I am. That's kind of the point, I'm sick of seeing that sort of thing. I LOVE THE MUSIC AND THE CULTURE, but I'm NOBODY to say who belongs. And no diss, but neither are you, or anyone else in here, or anywhere around the world acting like they know what's best for hip-hop. BECAUSE the culture has wrapped itself around the globe, it's in nobody's hands. Whether it's 50 Cent, Sole, the kids in my town shamelessly biting Project Blowed, Eminem, Ms. Dynamite, The Streets, fuck I've even heard cats say Sage ain't hop!...

Most heads nowadays, I imagine, take hip-hop for granted completely, because a lot of them can't remember a time when hip-hop wasn't around. And there's obviously a positive side to that, it's just a shame that a lot of those same heads don't have the capacity to just be straight up THANKFUL for this music.

How do you feel about a generation of hip-hop listeners growing up not knowing about Sugarhill, Kool Herc & "Rebel Without a Pause"? It sounds fucked, but it's a reality, at least in suburbia. My guess, from how level you sound, is that you understand that it's just unavoidable. I also GUARUNTEE that I haven't experienced hip-hop culture like yourself, I don't want to come across like a complete ass...

Aww shit, gotta go, ummm...thanks, Shylax, I completely appreciate your take, I'll be back tonight,

Piece
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:35 pm
kritikal

Re: Thanks y'all.  Reply with quote  

CFL wrote:

How do you feel about a generation of hip-hop listeners growing up not knowing about Sugarhill, Kool Herc & "Rebel Without a Pause"? It sounds fucked, but it's a reality, at least in suburbia.

What do you care, it's their loss. I'm sure you dont know the history and important moments of every little thing that you do in your life. When is the last time you took a shit and really thought about the history and pioneer of the toilet.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:54 pm
Shylax

Quote:

I was not trying to be an elitist, nor prove how hip-hop I am. That's kind of the point, I'm sick of seeing that sort of thing. I LOVE THE MUSIC AND THE CULTURE, but I'm NOBODY to say who belongs. And no diss, but neither are you, or anyone else in here, or anywhere around the world acting like they know what's best for hip-hop.

My bad on that, then. I thought that was where you were going until you switched gears and started dropping group names. Then I was reading some of the other responses who were agreeing but sounding elitist. I agree with what you said above. Just because I'm from the Bronx, I can't tell a cat from Des Moines or Fargo who lives, eats and breathes hiphop he don't belong based on where he's from. I wouldn't want to. I'd want to build with that cat! Like the saying goes, it ain't where you from it's where you're at. I'm happy I can leave New York and still find great hiphop. Every city's building now. And that's so dope to me. Especially hearing growing up that this is just a trend or a fad.

Quote:

Most heads nowadays, I imagine, take hip-hop for granted completely, because a lot of them can't remember a time when hip-hop wasn't around. And there's obviously a positive side to that, it's just a shame that a lot of those same heads don't have the capacity to just be straight up THANKFUL for this music.

Shit, I can't remember when hiphop wasn't around, hahaha. I was like six, watching the older kids rap and break. Everything before six was a blur for me,LOL. But expound on being thankful. I don't quite get that part.

Quote:

How do you feel about a generation of hip-hop listeners growing up not knowing about Sugarhill, Kool Herc & "Rebel Without a Pause"? It sounds fucked, but it's a reality, at least in suburbia. My guess, from how level you sound, is that you understand that it's just unavoidable.

There are youngsters in the Bronx that know nothing about Herc, Sugarhill & "Rebel without a pause". I just think it's an age thing and that outlets like MTV just bridged a lot of cultural gaps. A kid in Montana and a kid in Brooklyn get to peep the new Ludacris video at the same time (Except for timezone stuff. LOL), get to purchase the new Eminem album on the same day. Mixtapes are sold at Tower and other music chains or on the net. So despite living in two different parts of the country, they both have access to artists at the same time. Feel me? For example, You said 'C.R.E.A.M' got you hip to Wu. If that dropped today, you would be able to get that 'Protect your Neck' cut that started the Wu buzz here in NY. I guess I'm saying, with the net and MTV and magazines, you and I learn about the next emcee regardless of location at the same time. Where in the past, being in B.C. you would have to call me to send you the new shit. Now you may have material from a Bronx emcee before me and your like 3000 miles away.

As far as them not paying respect, it's just being young and feeling the present. When I was young, i was into hiphop and older heads wanted to play James Brown and Parliament and all the songs my heroes were sampling. At the time i wasn't trying to hear that. But I grew and I wanted to learn and went back to the old soul and rock classics that were the foundation for hiphop. If they love it, eventually they grow hungry to learn. Until then live and let live.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:22 pm
Nope

protect your neck.....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH THE ILLNESS!!!!
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:50 pm
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

The fact is everything evolved from something and you can claim you were 'there from the beginning' but there will always be something that came first that you weren't around for, like jamaican beat poetry n shit that hip hop came from.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:43 pm
mrgillepsie

I actually made a post somewhere maybe on this board about how,

Punk helped create Hip Hop.

I see Ice-T as one of the most important artists for what Hip Hop/Rap is today, and he was heavily influenced by the music of Black Flag.

Of course when I say Rap I don't mean Jah Rule or DMX I'm referring to artists who actually speak intelligently.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nope

all music has evolved from people banging on, blowing on and scratching shit while making some kind of noise with thier voice

yes...I'm a genius
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:11 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

RandomSurge wrote:

yes...I'm a genius

i like to think the same thing :)
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:12 pm
Nope

I'm so genius I can misspell "their" and get away with it :P
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:13 pm

Jump to: