Search
Register
Why do y'all give a fuck about "hip-hop"?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

CFL

Why do y'all give a fuck about "hip-hop"?  Reply with quote  

The last 2 & a half years have been so interesting for me as a music fan. The shit runs my life. I run a music store, I rhyme, I produce all types of shit, play guitar play drums, LOVE it, can't get enough of that vibration in my eardrum.
Now, I love hip-hop music, have done since Public Enemy fucked my shit up with "Can't Truss It" (Hip-hop Cherry thread...)...these last couple of years have just been weird though...

Hip-Hop's always had these huge fucking walls surrounding it, y'know, I mean, I remember wearing my PE & Tribe shirts in 8th grade and being called a wigger, and just being like "what is the fucking issue, it's just music?" It's just music.
Now, I'm one of those cats who's watched it all come full fucking circle - EVERYONE and thier fucking mom is all about hip-hop. If you AIN'T into hop, you're the fucking clown now. I'm curious how many of you cats in here have been into hop for a minute. How many were into De La Soul Is Dead. How many know a lyric to "Know The Ledge". How many RAN out and bought 36 Chambers the second they heard "C.R.E.A.M."? I wonder, even though, it's completely irrelevant.

Point is, I don't feel cheated.

I know there are some that will strongly disagree, but this music does NOT belong to ANYONE. Nobody. It's become lost. Case in point: ANYONE can fucking pick it up and claim it now. And who is to stop them. It's sound vibration.

Let it go.

When Herc dropped those breaks, he EVOLVED music. He pushed the fucking envelope - that is the most important intangible fact about hip-hop that is forgotten in every petty hip-hop discussion I've read these last couple of years.
No one controls where this music goes. Cats act like the hip-hop nostalgia cops.

How many of you ONLY listen to hip-hop? That shit is scary.

I love good music and, ultimately, good art is the whole fucking point, isn't it?

I'll end by saying I love this forum. Piece.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:56 am
barlow

I agree with everything you have said, apart from the Herc thing, as I dont know who he is.

I recently said to a 14 year old Blink182 fan "How the fuck can you say you listen to punk when you haven't even heard of the Sex Pistols?"
Straight away I thought "Jesus, I sound like one of them cocks of the hiphop message boards"
Oh well, guess I am as bad as everyone else.
Although I did give her a copy of "Never Mind The Bollocks" and lent her a copy of "Personal Journals"
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:55 am
barlow

Using the power of Google I now know who Herc is.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:57 am
notguilty

"Point is, I don't feel cheated." - i do...when i hear justin timberlake on the radio trying to act like he belongs on the hip hop scene and all he wants is cash....when i hear nelly flowing about shoes...hell almost every time i turn on the radio...

"I know there are some that will strongly disagree, but this music does NOT belong to ANYONE." - i don't disagree with that statement at all...but if kids these days are talking fifty cent up and i say something about 2pac being the original gangster (in my book...he's the first gangster rap that i enjoyed) and they look at me like i'm crazy...it gets on my nerves

Nobody. It's become lost. Case in point: ANYONE can fucking pick it up and claim it now. And who is to stop them. It's sound vibration. - and itz a damn shame sometimes...when j-lo lifts beats from krs-1...snoop dogg lifting atomic dogg from parliament is one thing...but j-lo lifting krs-1 is just wrong...

Let it go." - i'll give the indie b boys money and let the labels fucking blow

and ya...know the ledge is amazing...rakim should put out another cd...18th letter kicked some ass and as far as i know the last thing he released was with canibus...u bust 'em i'll punish 'em...which was some great battle rap...but sometimes i crave new rakim stuff...and where the hell has the wu been...i mean...another wu cd would be awesome....owell...i've rambled enough...

-latex
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reggie

Chunky McFunky wrote:
I agree with everything you have said, apart from the Herc thing, as I dont know who he is.

Post of the day.

CFL is right, of course. Hip-hop is just a concept, it's not a tangible thing anyone can own. Duh.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 5:58 am
Dee

I like it when people teach me lessons about how I should look at hip hop.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:09 am
Reggie

djdee2005 wrote:
I like it when people teach me lessons about how I should look at hip hop.

How else are you going to know? Sheesh.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:03 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

One time i was peeing and my urine turned into jesus and he started rapping about his sandals
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:20 am
Random Sample

I totally agree with CFL. Hip Hop used to be fresh, rebellious, and fun. Now it is a business. And it got thrown out to the masses to make money. Now every little kid that listens to hip hop thinks they know everything. They think that hip hop started in 94. I find it hard to take someone seriously that doesn't know public enemy songs, or doesn't know the words to big daddy kane's ain't no half steppin. I don't know I am a purest I guess. I listen to old shit all the time. What ever happened to the album that you could listen to for 6 months straight. For the most part, an album nowadays gets listened to for a month (if that) and then it is on to the next thing. Hip Hop does piss me off nowadays. No one has respect for the culture anymore.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:41 am
Nope

fuck this applies to EVERYTHING

people are ignorant about a whole shitload of stuff

and they continue to babble on about it

that's just how shit is

If you're going to bother yourself with just how ignorant people are IN GENERAL, you're going to go absolutely insane

we are fucking morons...to the nth degree

it's a cycle, something fresh comes up, and once the mainstream gets a hold of it and milks it like a motherfucker....people start getting alienated

so now we listen to "underground" hip hop to keep our heads straight...

and we're sooooo much better than everyone cause we know about this shit instead of eating up the nelly

we're dumbasses...deal with it
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:50 am
Random Sample

I don't think that we are better, because we listen to "underground" hip hop. I have no problem with people listening to nelly and what not. I just hate the fact they have no respect for the culture(Fans and Artists). That is my problem. I just grew up on hip hop and I know what hip hop is to me. I guess I can say I used to love h.e.r. But as you say people are ignorant to a whole shitload of stuff and we have to just deal with it.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:06 am
MessiahCarey

notguilty wrote:
when i hear nelly flowing about shoes...

Artist: Run-D.M.C.
Album: Raising Hell
Song: My Adidas
Typed by: OHHLA.com

My Adidas
walk through concert doors
and roam all over coliseum floors
I stepped on stage, at Live Aid
All the people gave an applause that paid
And out of speakers I did speak
I wore my sneakers but I'm not a sneak
My Adidas cuts the sand of a foreign land
with mic in hand I cold took command
my Adidas and me both askin P
we make a good team my Adidas and me
we get around together, rhyme forever
and we won't be mad when worn in bad weather
My Adidas..
My Adidas..
My Adidas

standin on 2 Fifth St.
funky fresh and yes cold on my feet
with no shoe string in em, I did not win em
I bought em off the Ave with the tags still in em
I like to sport em that's why I bought em
a sucker tried to steal em so I caught em and I thwart em
and I walk down the street and I bop to the beat
with Lee on my legs and adidas on my feet
and now I just standin here shooting the gif
me and D and my Adidas standing on 2 Fifth
My Adidas..
My Adidas..

Now
me and my Adidas do the illest things
we like to stomp out pimps with diamond rings
we slay all suckers who perpetrate
and lay down law from state to state
we travel on gravel, drit road or street
I wear my Adidas when I rock the beat
on stage front page every show I go
it's Adidas on my feet high top or low
My Adidas..
My Adidas..

Now the Adidas I possess for one man is rare
myself homeboy got 50 pair
got blue and black cause I like to chill
and yellow and green when it's time to get ill
got a pair that I wear when I'm playin ball
with the heal inside make me 10 feet tall
my Adidas only bring good news
and they are not used as selling shoes
they're black and white, white with black stripe
the ones I like to wear when I rock the mic
on the strength of our famous university
we took the beat from the street and put it on TV
my Adidas are seen on the movie screen
Hoyywood knows we're good if you know what I mean
we started in the alley, now we chill in Cali
and I won't trade my Adidas for a ??
My Adidas..
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:07 am
Nope

random_sample wrote:
I don't think that we are better, because we listen to "underground" hip hop. I have no problem with people listening to nelly and what not. I just hate the fact they have no respect for the culture(Fans and Artists). That is my problem. I just grew up on hip hop and I know what hip hop is to me. I guess I can say I used to love h.e.r. But as you say people are ignorant to a whole shitload of stuff and we have to just deal with it.

yeah dude, I mean...I'm a BIG fan of music...music is huge for me

so when I meet people that say they're "fans" but don't really know about much of anything about the style of music they like...it's frustrating to say the least

my girl says she likes punk, but she's never heard of the misfits, the sex pistols or the clash...she likes the fucking ataris for shit's sake

hey...little boys play with war toys and little girls with barbies...I'm more worried about that than what people choose to listen to

to most, music is just pretty sounds...oh well
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:16 am
Ben

my adidas  Reply with quote  

I'm pretty sure the lyric at the end of "My Adidas" is "and I won't trade my adidas shoe for a BALI" (sp) A lot of old school rappers wore Bali shoes. In related news I love that southern song, I think by Killer Mike called "adidas." You know "all day I dream about sex."
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:27 am
Random Sample

I was going to say something about punk music. I know all of these kids that are on this whole punk pop thing. But they never listened to the sex pistols, black flag, Ramones, or any of the other old punk bands. Music is a big part of my life and it pisses me off that people don't really know about much of anything about the style of music they like. But there are more fucked up things in the world to worry about than people's education of genres of music.
Post Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:33 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next