Search
Register
New Afghan law legalizes rape
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

neveragainlikesheep

Jesse wrote:
neveragainlikesheep wrote:
I clearly wasn't stating that only Islamic states have fucked up relationships, but whatevs...
I didn't mean to attribute that viewpoint to you, I just felt like your remark let the west off the hook a little.

Let's read it again: "What kind of relationships are people having in Afghanistan that need something like this to become law?"

The second any country in the West introduces a law that legalizes spousal rape I'll be right there with you. Until then I'm thinking you are a parallel but entirely different tangent than the one I'm on.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am
Jesse

Let's read it again: "What kind of relationships are people having in Afghanistan that need something like this to become law?"

The second any country in the West introduces a law that legalizes spousal rape I'll be right there with you. Until then I'm thinking you are a parallel but entirely different tangent than the one I'm on.
I guess my point is that we don't need the law because we (as institutions and many individuals) tacitly condone it and/or overlook it in many cases. They don't need the law either, the question there is more like how can they tolerate it so openly?

But yeah I did totally hijack your point, this I will confess to.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:54 am
neveragainlikesheep

Jesse wrote:

I guess my point is that we don't need the law because we (as institutions and many individuals) tacitly condone it and/or overlook it in many cases. They don't need the law either, the question there is more like how can they tolerate it so openly?

But yeah I did totally hijack your point, this I will confess to.

It's all good.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:55 am
WeDueThis

Jesse wrote:
WeDueThis wrote:
Jesse wrote:
What kind of relationships are people having in Afghanistan that need something like this to become law? Raping your wife? FFS, why would you ever want to rape your wife? Shit makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It's not as though spousal rape doesn't happen in "ordinary" western marriages.

I don't say that by any means to defend this legislation or practise, far from it. It makes me want to shoot my face off. I just think we let ourselves believe that the marriage contract means more than it does in a lot of ways.
Oh christ. Not back to the "wait, dont judge them we do it to!" The difference is here your frowned upon, jailed and raped in jail for shit like that. There you get a pat on the back and probably a party as well. Haha you actually tried that shit, that was fucking awesome. Incredible cojones on you guy.
I wasn't introducing a relativist argument. I have zero patience or tolerance for them. I was just saying let's not pretend ONLY Islamic states have fucked up relationships. That doesn't make ANYthing okay.
I wasn't aware we where pretending it doesnt happen here. Theres a discussion at least bi-weekly about how it happens here too.
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:08 pm
Jesse

Okay fair enough, point made I guess.

So. Anyone got a good idea of what the hell to do about this?
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:28 pm
WeDueThis

Shock and awe? Savages!?
Post Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2