Search
Register
I demand Curtis Plum vinyl right this instant
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Jesse

I demand Curtis Plum vinyl right this instant  Reply with quote  

I know it does absolutely no-one any good to moan about wishing for things to come out any sooner than they're actually coming out, but dammit!

I am feeling antsy for a Curtis Plum record to listen to.

Man cannot live by MySpace playlists alone.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:14 pm
Travadone

I demand you stfu
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:18 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I agree with this. The thing is, he just keeps recording songs and we're unsure of the tracks we want to use on vinyl. Thanks for the nudge though because I think it's a good time to finalize some ideas.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:20 pm
ko-d

I think Travadone is Sage Francis' alter ego.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:25 pm
Jesse

Sage Francis wrote:
I agree with this. The thing is, he just keeps recording songs and we're unsure of the tracks we want to use on vinyl. Thanks for the nudge though because I think it's a good time to finalize some ideas.
Put the incontrovertible club bangers like Call My Cellphone on the wax, and the more introspective and mature material like Vin Diesel can be for cooling out in the ride.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:27 pm
Disharmony

I cannot see these selling. I don't want to be that guy that pisses on everyone's parade, but come on...the novelty is going to wear off. I am not sure how much it costs to make vinyl records for distribution, but is it really a smart/frugal move with Mr.plums music?
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:44 am
Jesse

Disharmony wrote:
I cannot see these selling. I don't want to be that guy that pisses on everyone's parade, but come on...the novelty is going to wear off. I am not sure how much it costs to make vinyl records for distribution, but is it really a smart/frugal move with Mr.plums music?
They said the same thing about cellphones. QED.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:57 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The obvious thing to do is say "This is silly...no one will want."

The non-obvious thing is to realize that Curtis Plum actually has something special going on that exists beyond novelty. And it's been consistent in what he's shown me. The infectious nature of his tunes, and their repeatability, makes me think that people will scoop up the item. I've been listening to Cellphone and Vin Diesel for about 2 years now. haha
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 am
Jesse

I think that limited vinyl and download (which is what I think you said the plan is? If I'm not mistaken?) makes a lot of sense here. I think that CDs would actually be short-sighted, at least in mass quantities, mainly because the sales would be so specialized at first that they'd probably be too slow to sell out before CDs just got abandoned altogether. Maybe THAT'S pessimistic, who knows?

But this is not unsellable. Whether it's genuine or affected, there's a hint of outsider lunacy/brilliance to what Plum does that I think will really appeal to people. Like a Daniel Johnston of rap who doesn't seem especially tortured, kind of?

You gotta recognize this has appeal beyond eyebrows-down underground rap heads who are looking to relieve the grimness of their shadowy existence for just under four minutes. What I hear when I listen to Curtis Plum is something more like the weirdo one-man-bands that indie rock has produced.

Bear in mind that this dude has thousands of devoted fans across Canada: B.A. Johnston. And it's because despite the cheap weirdness of what he does, he absolutely sells it to the point where you can't deny that there's something compelling going on.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:23 am
jakethesnake
guy who cried about wrestling being real

Jesse wrote:
Bear in mind that this dude has thousands of devoted fans across Canada: B.A. Johnston. And it's because despite the cheap weirdness of what he does, he absolutely sells it to the point where you can't deny that there's something compelling going on.

Wow that is catchy...
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:33 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Jesse wrote:
I think that limited vinyl and download (which is what I think you said the plan is? If I'm not mistaken?) makes a lot of sense here. I think that CDs would actually be short-sighted, at least in mass quantities, mainly because the sales would be so specialized at first that they'd probably be too slow to sell out before CDs just got abandoned altogether. Maybe THAT'S pessimistic, who knows?

But this is not unsellable. Whether it's genuine or affected, there's a hint of outsider lunacy/brilliance to what Plum does that I think will really appeal to people. Like a Daniel Johnston of rap who doesn't seem especially tortured, kind of?

You gotta recognize this has appeal beyond eyebrows-down underground rap heads who are looking to relieve the grimness of their shadowy existence for just under four minutes. What I hear when I listen to Curtis Plum is something more like the weirdo one-man-bands that indie rock has produced.

I don't want to speak for Plum, or out him as a "weirdo", but I admire his ability to fight through things most of us wouldn't understand. It doesn't matter if this stuff blows up or not. He's got a gift, we recognize it at the label, and we're excited that the project is moving along and becoming a reality.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:41 am
bbreakz

I was walking around singing Cellphone in the office and this girl asked me about it. I pointed her to SFR and had her listen. Now she loves it. The hooks are infectious. There is also an innocence to it that makes it seem like it is less of a novelty. Wesley Willis eque maybe, but that is going too far. Plus, I got some decent headphones at work and the beat for Cellphone is simple but bumpin. Plum makes his own beats. Right?
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:41 am
Jesse

Yo I don't mean to be belittling or disrespectful by saying "weirdo." I guess I was just leaving myself an out in case someone was like, "Yo you know the whole schtick is a joke, right?" or something like that, but that's pretty cowardly maybe. I just wanted to emphasize that being different isn't necessarily suicide. Especially among the cookie-cutter ranks of the mainstream wannabes on Strange Famous.

Anyway, it isn't the point. I don't like it for being weird - most weird shit sucks. It's catchy and hilarious. The sense of humour at work is a lot funnier than just laughing at a dude with a voice like Katherine Hepburn would be.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Of course. I put "weirdo" in quotation marks because that's not really what we're going for here. Not him. Not us. It's good shit! haha. I'll leave it at that.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am
Stumbleweed

You looked like a big happy kid when you were singing the chorus with him at SXSW... Funny stuff, but in the most genuine way possible.
Post Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next