Search
Register
KNIT HAT (now w/ kitty pics) + an unreleased Sage song '96
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

KNIT HAT (now w/ kitty pics) + an unreleased Sage song '96  Reply with quote  

After all these years of people poking around and asking for them, we employed an old white woman with arthritic fingers to knit all of these lovely things for you. Just in time for spring!! heyoooooo.

Available for $14.99 at this link:
http://www.strangefamousrecords.com/store/sfr-knit-hat-p-242.html

----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, on the front page of www.SFRstore.com you'll notice that the "clip of the week" is an unreleased song of mine from 1996 called Flashback. Considering it is 13 years later, I suppose that is an apt title.
Right click and save. It's for FREE!

Last edited by Sage Francis on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

I'll end up buying that soon!
I just ordered a Poker Stars beanie for 500 frequent player points..
I wear 'em year round..
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:01 pm
Jesse

Holy shit, your lisp used to make mine look tame! Where did it go?

I like that track a lot, actually; it makes me think of old Sixtoo tapes except - if I'm gonna be frank - tighter on the rhyme tip and not touching the beats.

No seriously though where are you hiding that lisp. Bring it back!
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well, I had speech therapy in 4th grade. And then they made me take more speech classes in college because I was pursuing news broadcast. It's gone for good, but the RI accent still pokes its head in from time to time.

And yeah, it's not much of a beat. Just a music loop. Finding beat makers back then wasn't as easy as it is now.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:45 pm
it is yourself you seek

awesome. i will absolutely be getting one of these
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:50 pm
Inedible Condiment

I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.I want it. I want it.

seriously... this looks rad
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:53 pm
DM

I miss your old rap styleee.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:56 pm
Jesse

Sage Francis wrote:
Well, I had speech therapy in 4th grade. And then they made me take more speech classes in college because I was pursuing news broadcast. It's gone for good, but the RI accent still pokes its head in from time to time.
Yeah the thickness of the accent was surprising, too. Did you also suppress that for journalism?

So what did they get you to do to evade the lisp? If I try really hard, I can make a sort of normal S... but it kind of whistles if I'm not careful.

Quote:

And yeah, it's not much of a beat. Just a music loop. Finding beat makers back then wasn't as easy as it is now.
Of course, I wasn't dissing the beat, I just wanted to say that Rob's beats were good even when his rhymes were shaky.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:04 pm
mzehe916

so if I wear a size 8 hat what size beanie should I order? haha.

No really, I like the beanie and the new track.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:09 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Yeah, I had to get rid of the accent for radio broadcast. I tried to anyway. Leaving my town for a few years helped a lot with that.

As for the lisp, I guess I had to kill my tongue's muscle memory and get it to sit in the right place when making an S sound. I can't really remember much about that change. All I remember is being surprised that something was wrong with my speech because it wasn't something I was aware of. Once it was pointed out to me I began listening to how other people talked and I made the adjustments. I can't imagine it is that easy for most people, especially not after childhood. But if you hear the lisp in this 1996 recording then I guess I didn't really fix it as well as I thought I did.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:14 pm
Jesse

Sage Francis wrote:
As for the lisp, I guess I had to kill my tongue's muscle memory and get it to sit in the right place when making an S sound. I can't really remember much about that change. All I remember is being surprised that something was wrong with my speech because it wasn't something I was aware of. Once it was pointed out to me I began listening to how other people talked and I made the adjustments. I can't imagine it is that easy for most people, especially not after childhood. But if you hear the lisp in this 1996 recording then I guess I didn't really fix it as well as I thought I did.
Yeah I got surprised by it, too - no-one ever mentioned it until I was like ten or eleven or something, playing out on a public playground and these girls started making fun of me for it. I had no idea, I just told them they were crazy! Then when I was home, I asked my parents if I had a lisp.

They were like, "No, of course not! Wait, say 'lisp' again? Hmm."

I guess we were satisfied to keep the lisp the good lord gave me, and I kind of like having something distinctive going on I guess. It's weird when people talk about not being able to get past it to listen to my rap, though. Lisping is totally hip-hop!!

Anyway, I don't think you sound any better or worse with or without a lisp, I was just really surprised to hear it since you don't have it now. I'm probably hypersensitive to them, though!
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:19 pm
phataccino

I apparently said my R's as W's until I started working with a speech therapist in 2nd grade. During the very first meeting I had with her she had me say "the red rabbit ran down the road." Then she told me, "I know you can't hear it, but you just said 'the wed wabbit wan down the woad." I distinctly remember thinking, this lady is a crazy person. Ha. Then she recorded me saying it again and played it back to me. What kind of a fucked up trick is that for someone's brain to play on them? At least if you're going to sound like a fool you should know about it.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:25 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

phataccino wrote:
I apparently said my R's as W's until I started working with a speech therapist in 2nd grade. During the very first meeting I had with her she had me say "the red rabbit ran down the road." Then she told me, "I know you can't hear it, but you just said 'the wed wabbit wan down the woad." I distinctly remember thinking, this lady is a crazy person. Ha. Then she recorded me saying it again and played it back to me. What kind of a fucked up trick is that for someone's brain to play on them? At least if you're going to sound like a fool you should know about it.

That is, by far, the most annoying speech impediment to me.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:29 pm
mzehe916

Sage Francis wrote:
phataccino wrote:

That is, by far, the most annoying speech impediment to me.

yeah, I had a student whose mother took her out of speech therapy when she was younger because she thought it was so cute. Now this girl was 14 and talked like she was 3. The speech therapist at our school was not amused. I must say though, she'd always want to read out loud, she had no shame. If I remember correctly that is a much more difficult impediment to overcome.
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

DM wrote:
I miss your old rap styleee.

You've said that before. What do you think is the difference?
Post Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next