Search
Register
Pictures and reviews from the SFR basement show
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Pictures and reviews from the SFR basement show  Reply with quote  

Here are photos from the SFR show at our office space in RI.

Below are pictures of me, B. Dolan, Prayers for Atheists, Shane Hall and band, Prolyphic, Storm Davis, and crowd goers. All photos taken by Amanda Goss.

Thank you to everyone who attended and helped make this show a success. All the performers, Ryan G. for supplying the PA system, Erich for helping with mixing, the owners of the Grant for allowing us to throw the show, Storm for running the store amidst all the madness, and many others. If I missed your shout out, then feel free to speak up and post your reviews.

The show was an incredible success. Everyone threw the fuck DOWN. I'm very happy about this event. If you missed it, and you were in the general vicinity of RI, then you are the SUCK!!! haha. Even Trav made the trip from CT. Maybe next time?

Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:01 pm
Dialectz

i love that hat sage
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:10 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Well, thank you. It is courtesy of Cross Colors.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:15 pm
Sarcastro

hahaha loving this
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:46 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Oh, and I can't forget this photo. This is me and my half-brother Adam. It's the first show of mine he's seen so that was cool.

There were people at this show that I haven't seen in ages. Close to a decade for some. Very weird. Glad it was such an intimate and cozy setting or else I might have missed them.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:46 pm
Alan Hague

Sarcastro wrote:

hahaha loving this

haha, he's a good one, that Dave Booth.

Truly an awesome show - Shane & band, Pro, B. & Sage all were amazing, and it was an honor to share the stage with 'em! Thanks to everybody who came out.

(Extra special thanks to Shane for keeping my amp from crashing to the floor throughout our set.)
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm
redball

Here's how it went down:

We arrived at the spot, drove around because we didn't like the 2 hour parking signs in the lot, parked there anyway.

The little mall is really cool. It has a nice feel to it. It's hip but not hipster, there wasn't fakeness.

I went down and walked over to the water boy. "How much for one of these?" "One dollar." Then Bobby came over. "How much for one of these?" "One dollar." I think I saw him posting a sign sometime around the beginning of Prolyphic's set.

So, after a lot of running around talking about how the bassist was late, Shane took the stage. I liked his set. He called us fuckers a lot. He started off a little shaky, but his first couple of songs were pretty true to form. I thought that The Fat Lady... was clearly the strongest performance. The bassist was punished by Eric (unintentionally, I'm sure) for being late.

Then Prolyphic had a ground-level set. The hip hop heads woke up. I think some kid in the front row tried to spit every single lyric in real time, which was really odd when Prolyphic was right up in his face. There was a half-time show brought to you by Neti & Co. [Did anyone bite on that offer?]

It was almost 10pm by the end of the second set. I hadn't eaten since lunch. So Bobby and I went up to the coffee shop on the main level. The cafe was pretty good, I had a piece of gluten free cheesecake with too much lemon in it for my taste and a red eye that was super fucking hot but tasted great. It cost money or some shit, I made Bobby pay.

Prayers for Atheists started playing while we were up there. I thought they'd take a little more time setting shit up. We finished our food and took the coffee down. I have to say, I was shocked how much I liked this set. I mean, I liked Jared and all, but that's typically not my type of music. There was a shitload of energy, though, and everything else just flowed with it. There were many veins popping on stage. It was great. This will some day be my "I'm fucking sick of the marketing department" music. Just drop the album.

Another break to clear the stage and allow vegan drummers to redress. Then something strange happened. The water boy took the stage! Holy shit! He totally wasted Justin Timberlake and took out a few fans with the mic stand. This B. Dolan guy was goin off. He performed a bunch of new material. [No one liked when I yelled that we'd be gentle to you on your first live performance, sigh.] It was good shit. I've never seen him perform his hip hop set live, so that was great for me.

After that was the big guy in his cross colours hat, of which I wonder how many in the audience understood. [Bobby hasn't heard of Karl Kani.] This performance brought more new material and some quite old material. More lyrics that reference his age. The house blew up -- except the people at left stage, bunch of statues... I should have stood over there. The set was capped off with a triumphant return of the water boy. This time he brought out his fat guy bee dance.

Then we threw all of Shane's shit in my car and drove off to go zombie fighting. Along the way I met a bunch of people who I may or may not still consider to be entirely textual, had some Syrian falafels, slept on an upside down air mattress, got stuck in Shane's mudway, and watched a minivan burn to a crisp. It was an eventful 24 hours. Totally worth it.
Post Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm
Donato

I am a loser for not having a car and being stuck a school. If I was home I would of been there in a second. It looked amazing. This guy votes for another. :/
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:57 am
Lants

i have got to say - these things make me want to cry for living so far away.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:30 am
cubbiebear

freaky head in a ball staring at you
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:18 am
Buddy Peace

Shit that looks fantastic. Proper basement style, I love it! Nice write ups too - good work, thanks for the review. It's been way too long. And I haven't been to a hip hop show for about a year either - it's bringing it all back! Congratulations on the basement takeover - looks like it was teh i11n3ss.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:27 am
Frezz

Very Cozy show. And right in my frontyard. It was fun.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:53 am
IAmNiki

Really great show. I saw about 349893 people I haven't seen in a really long time. I def. wish I could have been a little less 'out of it' but I dragged my ass out anyway with an ugly case of food poisoning so it was a bit expected. It made me proud to be from the same state as these fine fellas, which might be kind of silly, but true regardless.

Unfortunately I missed Shane's set while I was deciding if I felt good enough to go to the show or not, and arrived in the middle of Pro's set. Everything I heard after I got there was awesome though. Prolyphic was sounding intense. I haven't heard Jared's band play in a while, and I was really impressed with how tight they sound. Of course Bernard and Francis both had me cracking up and put on a great show. I'm looking forward to more of these. It seems like a cozy place to perform where the artists have total control of the show.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:05 am
MorallyBass
The Hippie Terminator

Tons of fun for a great little venue. Loving the new spot for the SFR store. Always great to see B. Dolan perform, especially some of the new material with Alias. Completely surprised and impressed with Prayers for Atheists, not my usual style at all but had me bouncing and hyped up for the whole performance. Can't wait until they get something recorded.

G;ad to catch up with great people like niki, frezz, and debbie I never see these days and meet redball. Always a good time. Sorry I didn't stick around after the show but glad I missed both of the zombie dudes.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:52 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MorallyBass
The Hippie Terminator

Also a great set by Sage. Some quality writing in the new material. Love to hear some more about when either of those albums are slated to see the light of day. I think we're overdue for a "Sick Of" release for sure.
Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:56 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next