Search
Register
There Will Be Blood
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

sneeeeb
COCKRING WRAITH

/facepalm @ phil. Watch it again, man. I'll take DDL in this thing over Deniro in Raging Bull. Yes.
Post Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:03 am
jehu

Eltron Hubbard wrote:
Lants wrote:
like the massive time lapse at the end and the unexplained extreme hatred between father and son - huh?? i know they were showing a decline into madness from the throat slitting threat incident, but i thought more story was needed to get to that last 20 mins.

and the fact that eli still looked about 12 years old in the last scene made it more comical than anything. he's such a babyface.

This is covered just about everywhere in the movie, especially in the talks with his "brother" and when he blasts dude in the head for lying to him. Plainview's character is all about an emptiness that he attempts to fill up in the only ways he knows- Accumulating wealth and power and shoring up the family lineage. He's got no understanding of how to be really happy through human interaction, and in those few cases where biology gives him an easy route to closeness, he's terrified of losing it, but he expresses it through wrath because he's a hard dude and also a sociopath in the unfettered way of many early capitalists.

The father and son have had a tense relationship for a long time you can tell that.
From the son's POV it was when he got abandoned by his dad for the more capable and less crippled brother dude.
Dad began to resent Jr. the moment he became a liability(deaf), and even more when he began to sense the son's underlying distaste (more than just resentment)for him after returning from the deaf kid school. Aww man there was tons more. I dont have time to write an essay. The psychological undercurrents of this movie were huge.
That's why I love seeing those still, vast images put against the music that sounds like it's going to burst open. This movie was Kubrikian in the best way. I kept thinking of the hotel in The Shining or the Monolith scenes from 2001.

The movie is really plain chaparral earth. Everything that went on just seeped from the ground of it.

As for eli looking young I figured Paul Thomas Anderson just knew that old person makeup always looks bogus and said fuck it you get the idea.

i know i know, i am waaaaaay late to the game on this but holy shit, this movie was incredible. i think eltron's breakdown is pretty spot on.

i had zero confusion about the brother scenario. between the abel/eli/dinner scene & paul's obvious gettin out of town scene($10,000 for the info) & the bowling alley scene, it seemed pretty straight up to me. the 25 year gap didnt bother me as eli was very young looking at the time of his & plainview's 1st meeting. plus i like what eltron said about it:
"As for eli looking young I figured Paul Thomas Anderson just knew that old person makeup always looks bogus and said fuck it you get the idea." even if it's not true, it makes a lot of sense.

either way, ddl is unfuckwittable. he is on some other shit, as far as im concerned. plus the music was freaking great.

edit:
what amazed me a lot was how i was rooting for ddl over eli. that smarminess that eli had about him was gross & perfectly executed. the whole "you are a sinner" scene that plainview had to go through... you could just see it in his eyes... like he was saying, "this is completely worth it", despite him ending up a shell of a man lonely & hollow. his son's disgust & departure from the company & daniel himself just further confirmed plainviews feelings about humanity.

i need to watch this again.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:36 am
Disharmony

They should change the title of the movie to "There will be hardly any blood and if there is you may be asleep before you see it."
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:38 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

As a lot of the old timer's here know, I'm as big a PTA fan as there is. I cried when I couldn't take a job on There Will Be Blood back in '05.

i recently revisited this movie after liking it enough in the theatre. owned it since it came out on DVD and don't know why i never felt like putting it in.

this is a true masterpiece. i think it is clearly PTA's best film which is saying A LOT.
i've probably watched it 15 times in the last few months. it gets better everytime.

all around excellence. incredible acting, incrdible camera work, incredible sound, great build up, absolutely gorgeous shots, incredible use of themes. god this film is fucking flawless.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm
Hellen Earth
could be a girl. could be a guy.

Disharmony wrote:
They should change the title of the movie to "There will be hardly any blood and if there is you may be asleep before you see it."

You get that the blood is oil, the blood of the earth!!! BAAM!
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:32 pm
Disharmony

Yeah, I get it. But my former self on Sun Jan 18, 2009, did not.
Around that time I was packing poisonous spiders into a corn cob pipe and smoking them until my brain would bleed out of my nose.
Post Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:35 pm
kese

Just watched this... no over analysis.. 'cept for holy shit, that ending was great.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
prolific memorie

Location: Pieces of my brain dripping from the wall i was leaning against,that the cleaning lady found first.
Re: There Will Be Blood  Reply with quote  

mzehe916 wrote:
Of all the talk recently of top movies for the year I am finally pleased to say that this movie was hands down the best movie I've seen in the past few years. There were some parts that weren't focused on as much as in the book but the way this movie flowed was perfect. And Daniel Day-Lewis? Fucking chalk him up for Best Actor this year! I suggest, even to those that don't do movies, that people see this film. Simply amazing.

Im actually watching it again, right now.
Post Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
futuristxen

vintge wrote:
As a lot of the old timer's here know, I'm as big a PTA fan as there is. I cried when I couldn't take a job on There Will Be Blood back in '05.

i recently revisited this movie after liking it enough in the theatre. owned it since it came out on DVD and don't know why i never felt like putting it in.

this is a true masterpiece. i think it is clearly PTA's best film which is saying A LOT.
i've probably watched it 15 times in the last few months. it gets better everytime.

all around excellence. incredible acting, incrdible camera work, incredible sound, great build up, absolutely gorgeous shots, incredible use of themes. god this film is fucking flawless.

Was in a discussion about this movie yesterday, weirdly. I liked it, but I think that it came out with No Country kind of messed up the context of it, and I don't know that I properly absorbed it the first time. Beyond the mindblowing fantastic ending.

At any rate, I was convinced in the brilliance of the film, and will be watching it again.

It is a much more mature film for PTA I think. I've not always agreed with how his films look, but I've always loved his writing and direction of actors. I think this one had a little something extra.

The question is, what do you make after a film like this?
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:18 am
futuristxen

This is also really good :)

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

A screwball comedy.

Then a more serious movie again. That's how the Coens do.
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6