Search
Register
My tour with Rise Against...and a show review
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

My tour with Rise Against...and a show review  Reply with quote  

The article I have linked below is pretty much how the tour started off. A total fighting of the tide. A lot of 14 year olds with access to their parents' disposable cash. A lot of them waited in an hour long line in order to buy a t-shirt (while missing segments of the peformance of the band they were apparently there to buy t-shirts from.)

The people in Thursday are great dudes. So are the members of Rise Against, although I didn't get to talk to them much. Mainly Tim and Zach. These shows were huge. We were playing arenas for the most part. Hockey rinks and shit. In sub zero degree locations. Awesome. After the first couple of shows I figured out a way to work the crowd in a way that was enjoyable for everyone, but it's not the kind of thing I'd like to repeat. I encountered a lot of my own fans who missed my performance because I went on so early. And only for a half hour. They were pissed. I would be too considering the price of tickets. In fact, there were some shows where I went on stage before half of the line outside was even able to make it into the venue. For the people who went to the show to see my performance and missed it...I apologize. I intend on returning with a headlining tour of my own.

I'm glad to be home.

:-)

Here's the review:

http://www.thepunksite.com/reviews.php?page=shows/riseagainst_dec3

For a punk rock show of this magnitude, Sage Francis was an odd choice for an opening act. While yes, I understand he has earned respect in the punk rock community and was, as he said, "plucked from the hip-hop community and thrown into the punk rock one," I can't help but think that it would've been more appropriate at a slightly smaller punk rock show. But here he was anyway, ready to spit our his rhymes to the sold out crowd.

He started off well with some good, self-deprecating humour that got people laughing and more at ease with seeing a sole MC on the stage instead of a full blown band. Songs like Jah Didn't Kill Johnny and Escape Artist were played to a great response and he even got the crowd to help him out on Damage. So while it may not have been the most natural of shows, the crowd accepted him and cheered along when necessary; well, for the most part anyway. To end his thirty minute set he chose the heavily politically track - and the first song I had ever heard by him - Makeshift Patriot. Throughout the track you could see him singing directly at one person but as the song was suddenly stopped you realized he wasn't playing to a fan but instead an instigator. Obviously angered, Sage Francis completely attacked one kid in the front row; calling him out for yelling "Rise Against!" throughout his entire set, Sage Francis reminded him of the fact that it was Rise Against who invited him on tour and that chanting their name won't get them out any faster. Pointing out his Zoo York hoodie and "flavour of the month" haircut, the MC ended his thirty minutes with a simple instruction: "have some fucking respect" and walked off as Team America's America, Fuck Yeah! faded out through the background. An odd ending for sure, but one that will never be forgotten.

New Jersey's Thursday were up next and treated the crowd to a set that made a bit more sense to them. Like always, Thursday put on a solid performance, playing songs that spanned their entire career; from Understanding in A Car Crash to one from their recent split with Envy and even a new cut from their forthcoming album that had Tim McIlrath grabbing a mic and joining in. The highlight of their set was, like always, their stage presence. By lowering all the lights in the building and flooding the stage with red from behind, the band created a short of picture perfect combination of shadows and music that is always memorable.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 am
sick_transit

Sounds great, I definitely would have like to see all 3 acts if i didnt live here in LA. We need to see more shows like this
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:10 am
box johnson

Note to self: Wrap body in icicle lights.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:29 am
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

Haha that's great. Did flavor of the month kid cry? I hope he cried.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 am
Jabsent

I'm glad to hear you plan on doing a headline tour later.
Unfortunately I missed you on this run in Ottawa. 50 beans for a half hour set had me delegating over it, but then there's this bus driver strike that made the choice for me...

Has your view on Canada improved at all with this journey?
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:55 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

The Zoo Yorker didn't maintain his anti-opener composure the way I thought he would. He shrank and slumped over like a failed erection. No revolt...no middle finger...just embarrassment and shame. Pwnt. Fucker.

My view of Canada hasn't ever been a bad one. In jest I'll talk shit about Canada...but I do the same thing about America. It's sibling rivalry type silliness. My views haven't changed. There wasn't any new found love or hate for the vast Tim Horton freeze zone. I just wish your dollar was still stronger because I made a bunch of cash on merch sales.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:47 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

no dick licker incidents this time around?
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:06 pm
seandaley
passive aggressifist

Re: My tour with Rise Against...and a show review  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
The people in Thursday are great dudes.

co-sign.

good review.
i think it would be a lot of fun to watch you deal with a big room full of canadian punk kids.
can't say that about many of our peers.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:20 pm
The Mean Eagle

At least the zoo-yorker didn't throw pizza at you..
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:30 pm
The Maguire Man

Definately glad to hear you plan on headlining your own Canada tour Sage, I'll def be lookin' to attend...

The Hamilton show was also pretty cool minus the shortness and teenage punks...... props for taking on a tough crowd for a whole tour.....***

peece
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:59 pm
SteveJB

seandaley wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
The people in Thursday are great dudes.

co-sign.

good review.
i think it would be a lot of fun to watch you deal with a big room full of canadian punk kids.
can't say that about many of our peers.

Reality tv show anyone?
A string of exciting tours:

"Tune in next week to see what happens when Sage opens for Underoath!"
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:46 pm
DeadAwake

Sage Francis wrote:
"have some fucking respect"

Yes!

So many situations which i should have said something to that effect.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:59 pm
knowrites

The Mean Eagle wrote:
At least the zoo-yorker didn't throw pizza at you..
]
or a shoe.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 pm
Bring that Beat Back

The Maguire Man wrote:
Definately glad to hear you plan on headlining your own Canada tour Sage, I'll def be lookin' to attend...

That would be awesome. I still feel like crap about missing it. Actually, I'm going to forward you some emails.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:14 pm
breakreep
homophobic yet curious

SteveJB wrote:
"Tune in next week to see what happens when Sage opens for Underoath!"

I would go to this concert.
Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next