Search
Register
SFR VINYL SALE (& Vinyl Discussion)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Buddy Peace

Seamus Ignoramus wrote:
Buddy, that "record store worker attitude" is definitely an international phenomenon. I have encountered it a lot here, and in other countries also. I often scratched my head over it also, it doesn't make sense - they're basically saying "you need us, we don't need you." Mind you, I kind of did need them for a lot of years, haha. The amount of impulse buys of shitty records I made (when I could afford to) was crazy.

The movie High fidelity deals with the comedy of the record shop experience well.

A friend of mine runs a shop. He has had to branch out a lot and stock non-hiphop vinyl (Can and other stuff like that) in order to keep going, but it seems to be working as far as I know. He also sells a lot of paint to kids.

Yeah exactly! High Fidelity nails it in a lot of ways... That attitude has prevailed in most of the shops I've been in too, but it's the exceptions that always reignite my faith. There ARE nice record shop workers! We have to believe this. It's just the matter of remembering that without customers coming back for good, friendly, helpful service, the shops would not be there. And that's the utterly frustrating part. It's not just a quirky aspect of record shopping anymore - people will stay away from shops if they have a bad rep. These days especially - there are so many ways to buy and listen, and I'm sure people want to do the right thing, but when you get rude and arrogant workers behind the till it's natural to not want to give the shop money.

Honestly, I'm not preaching - and I know I don't have to sell the SFR store to anyone here as I'm sure we've all had that class A service at all times. There is proof in the good shops (physical and online, or both) out there that the bad attitude doesn't have to be there anymore.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:56 pm
mzehe916

the mean wrote:
The basement at Records is legendary. I am sad that it no longer exists. How many of those records made it to the new location?

The new location is nowhere near as big. It doesn't have the same flava that the O.G. spot had. I hate watching K St. die.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 pm
prolyphic81

The best thing about record stores, besides the vinyl, are the people that you meet inside the record store. Most of them are characters.

I saw Whoopi Goldberg in a record store once.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:17 pm
mindtoast

in melbourne theres something of a resurgance, theres a few small record shops that have been around for years and do very well indeed, plus lately another 3 new record shops have opened. not a lot of people buy, but those that do buy buy a LOT, it keeps the guys in business.

i only buy on vinyl, but that said i have a tax debt and a car to pay off so i'm not buying anything for ages.
Post Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:10 pm
poisonfree

mzehe916 wrote:
the mean wrote:
The basement at Records is legendary. I am sad that it no longer exists. How many of those records made it to the new location?

The new location is nowhere near as big. It doesn't have the same flava that the O.G. spot had. I hate watching K St. die.

the new location is like 1/3rd the size of the upstairs. unfortunately there is no basement. All of the Basement stock is in storage.

If anybody ever needs to go digging in the storage let me know, my friend would be happy to sell.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:01 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
the mean
Certified O.G.

poisonfree wrote:
If anybody ever needs to go digging in the storage let me know, my friend would be happy to sell.

I'll be in town in January. I might take you up on that.
Post Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:05 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3