Search
Register
The new Soccer Thread!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

The Count

The new Soccer Thread!  Reply with quote  

Where to start?

Watching Citeh/Pool as I type this, and I havn't had as much fun watching a soccer game in a long time. Citeh for all the money it's spent still isn't quite at the level of the top 4. If they can hang tough in the fifth spot and bring in some more reinforcements in the winter break then I think they really could challenge for a Champions League spot.

I still need to find a team in england that I can support. I really do like man city and have some good friends are that crazy about them, but the same could be said about Spurs.

Wish I could watch more la liga and Bundesliga, Altidore is doing really well with Villareal so far and they're top of the table yet I can't see it happen because I don't have goltv. I've always enjoyed the technical style that the spainards play with more than the speed game of england.

Stateside DC isn't going to make the playoffs and is embarrasing the league in regional play, Columbus is on another level, and Beckham sucks (even by MLS standards).
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:43 am
futuristxen

I would think supporting Man City would go against all that you stand for, considering they are the richest team in Europe. I thought you hated all of the money in sport?

At any rate, United is off to a slow start with injuries and people away at the olympics, but they are starting to pick it up. Rooney is finding form. And Tevez has been in great form the whole year. Berbatov seems like a match made in heaven for this team. His silky smooth passes are going to open everything up for Ronaldo, Tevez, and Rooney.

Darren Fletcher has been a revelation this year in the middle of the park. I think Owen Hargreaves has some serious competition when he gets back. Obviously we are missing Carrick and Scholes right now, but Anderson-Fletcher are doing quite well.

Found an absolute superstar in Rafael Da Silva at RB. He's so young, but he's already playing important games ahead of Neville and Brown. And supposeldy his twin, who is injured right now, is even better. For a team that relies so much on attacks from the flanks, the future looks incredible.

Possebon before he went down was looking very very solid. I think Nani has a lot of talent, but he needs to learn the same lessons Ronaldo did, and do it before Ronaldo leaves.

Glad Ronaldo is back, but would like to see Rooney step up and make this his team so United can survive the inevitable Ronaldo bolt to Real Madrid.

Van De Sar has looked sloppy this year, and it may be time to start phazing in Foster(who is unlucky with injuries). Rio Ferdinand is the best defender in England right now, and arguably the world. He's the backbone to this team and what allows a lot of the attacking play. He's so smooth and always seems to know what to do. He's really becoming the leader of this team as well, and I think after Neville and Giggs retire, Rio will be the captain.

Anyways, the goal this year is to repeat as champions of europe. We've won enough domestic championships, but United really need to win a few more European ones to really round out Sir Alex's resume and knock Liverpool off their perch. I think another double is a distinct possibility. Maybe even a treble with the quality of the youngsters this year.

Wellbeck looks a future star. As does Frazier Campbell who is doing well over at Spurs on loan. Excited to see some of Manucho as well once he gets fit.

If United can get a let bit of luck with injuries, you're talking about a team of incredible talent, versatility, and depth, who play a beautiful attacking style and should be the class of all Europe.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:20 pm
Jascha

I think Van der Sar is mentally empty right now.

He must feel terrible about flying out of the european championship like that, especially after winning the CL for manu.
THat, and he already was thinking about retiring.

I'd have some faith in him though. ManU's other goalies are nowhere near his skill. He's not just a good goalie, he's also an extremely experienced pillar of support within every team he playes in.

Anyway.

If you want to support a smaller team outside of England, think about FC Groningen or Heerenveen in the Netherlands. They're INSANELY good at finding young talent. Usually not the brazilian soon-to-be-superstars, but a lot of incredibly fun, almost unknown players. Often from Scandinavia.

Ajax just spent millions upon millions to buy their biggest talents the last few years, and this weekend Heerenveen kicked our asses 5-2, again with a batch of young talented players.

Huntelaar and Sulejmani (16 million euros, wtf, huuuuge talent though) and Alves (now at middlesbrough) come from Heerenveen.

Groningen sold Suarez and Lindgren, and still has Andersson and Granqvist. Who IMO is one of the best defenders in the weaker european competitions. Could become really big.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:30 pm
futuristxen

I definitely respect Van De Sar. I mean, he is the reason United won the CL. But he seems shakey right now. Which he has that happen sometimes. When he rights himself, he's one of the best. His skill United will miss the most when he retires is how well he distributes the ball, he really is great at starting the counterattack and playing the ball with his feet. He's one of the world's best. And I can only hope one of our other young keepers will try to match that level rather than feel overshadowed by it. Foster has some exciting tools, but isn't all there. Kuszcack is promising, but makes stupid mistakes still and has been given a lot of opportunities. Then we've got a few other goalies laying around who might work. But I think United are hoping Foster will start taking over this year.

I hope Van De Sar stays on as a goalkeeper coach at United after he retires.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm
Jascha

If he does that, he'll go to ajax first.

See: bergkamp not working for arsenal
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:39 pm
The Count

Quote:

I would think supporting Man City would go against all that you stand for, considering they are the richest team in Europe. I thought you hated all of the money in sport?

I suppose you're right, but they don't act like the richest team in the world. Not yet at least. They're still a proper club with real supporters who would show up and sing if they were in league one and a real culture, but they'll be hollywood soon enough I guess. It's only a matter of time.

I've never been to high on van der sar, it seems like more of the same to me. Ronaldo getting back is going to put them back on track because even with all of the talent on the field, the team is built around him.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:56 pm
futuristxen

Jascha wrote:
If he does that, he'll go to ajax first.

See: bergkamp not working for arsenal

He's already kind of doing it. If I remember right, United don't have a goal keeping coach anymore, and just let Edwin handle all of it. He works a lot with the youngsters United have, and it seems he wouldn't mind continuing his work with United. Plus would Ajax even want him as a coach right now?
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:53 pm
Jascha

Ajax have a pretty shitty keeper training right now.

Especially considering the amount of goalkeeping talent coming up in the next few years, a very experienced goalkeeper as a coach could help a lot.

And it's club policy to give ex-players a go at training and coaching before they do others.

He might stay at manu though... he seems to enjoy the UK quite a lot.
Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:34 pm
Jonthekingdon

I love the revs.
that is all.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:49 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Count

Jonthekingdon wrote:
I love the revs.
that is all.

You and about 13 other people my friend.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:04 am
Seamus Ignoramus

Great win for Barcelona at the weekend, facilitated by some terrible defending from Atletico. It was 3-1 within 15 minutes!

Here's the best goal of the game, from Henry:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yugp_thierry-henry-barcelone-vs-atletico_sport
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:45 am
name

Seamus Ignoramus wrote:
Great win for Barcelona at the weekend, facilitated by some terrible defending from Atletico. It was 3-1 within 15 minutes!

Here's the best goal of the game, from Henry:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6yugp_thierry-henry-barcelone-vs-atletico_sport

nah. the best goals was messi's... for the sheer awareness and killer instinct.

and because i have a man-love crush on him.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:52 pm
Jonthekingdon

The Count wrote:
Jonthekingdon wrote:
I love the revs.
that is all.

You and about 13 other people my friend.

eh it happens. more should though.
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Count

I agree, the revs are a good team and it's a shame that they're fanbase is so small. I'm a DC fan myself and always enjoy meeting another MLS fan.
Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:10 am
mancabbage

arsene wenger is the best paedophile in the world, know this.
Post Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:10 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62  Next