Search
Register
"Angles" press UPDATES thread
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

"Angles" press UPDATES thread  Reply with quote  

Since so many different threads were made about the Angles album we can dedicate this one thread to the progress and press they receive from here on out. Unless anything truly special comes about.

Nas is still the champion of the Hip-Hop charts, with Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip moving to No. 7 from way down at No. 39 last week.

CMJ
http://prod1.cmj.com/articles/display_article.php?id=75547715

Last edited by Sage Francis on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm
mzehe916

Damn, dropping to #7!? That's fucking huge. I have yet to pick this album up only because I am in a situation where the IRS has decided to drop my standard of living far below poverty. I like what I've heard, but damn, props to SFR for this. I look forward to seeing what kind of numbers it puts up as far as units sold come the end of the year.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:10 pm
MessiahCarey

Excellent!!!!!
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:13 pm
redball

There was fashion week coverage on tonight and they were playing at one of the shows. Pretty posh.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:24 pm
Jedi

Is the album available at Fat Beats? Other Music? Virgin? My friend was looking for it in NYC and said all the places he went to didn't carry it ...
Post Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:32 pm
Troxell

I haven't posted yet on this record, but I am LOVING every track on here. My wife and I have been hooked. She even more than myself. Which is very odd, because I generally have the OCD with listening to a record again and again. I would just like to say kudos. Wonderful record!
Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:27 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Jedi wrote:
Is the album available at Fat Beats? Other Music? Virgin? My friend was looking for it in NYC and said all the places he went to didn't carry it ...

NYC is a tough town for music, strangely enough.

Earwax in Brooklyn should carry it.

Insound in NYC should carry it.

Bleeker St Records

Those are the three places I can recommend. But if there's ANY store you go to who doesn't carry it you can ask that they order it.

thanks
Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:32 am
Reggie

I saw this at Other Music on W 3rd Street on Sunday.
Post Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:29 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

In completely bizarre news, Dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip will be a music guest on the Carson Daly show. We'll announce the date when we have the details.

In other news...

THE BOSTON PHOENIX weighs in with a Scroobius Pip interview and an Angles review.

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/Music/68226-Quite-contrary/

Thou shalt not so hastily dismiss Scroobius Pip

By CHRIS FARAONE | September 16, 2008

“The beauty of the Internet is that everyone can share their opinions no matter how wrong they are.”

When third-grade boys have crushes, they often irk and abuse the objects of their erections to mask their affection. The same goes for Pitchfork critics, one of whom is so enamored of “Thou Shalt Always Kill” — the breakout bombshell from Brit-hop poet Scroobius Pip and his producer, Dan le Sac — that he poked their full-length Angles with a pathetic 0.2/10 rating.

“I’m cool with a bad review,” says Pip of his detractor, “but the thing that got me is that it’s not accurate in his pointing out my contradictions — the whole song is filled with contradictions. All the rest is pretty accurate — I can’t flow for shit. But really, I’m very aware that everything on the record is my opinion. If I had the answers, I wouldn’t be making music — I’d be into politics.”

“Kill” is easy to obsess over — it’s the sort of inspired counter-culture anti-anthem that triggers your brain to forward YouTube links. The track, which glides on synthetic xylophonic magic, has Pip unfolding a litany of new rules: “Thou shalt not eat Nestlé products”; “Thou shalt not make repetitive generic music”; “Thou shalt not shake it like a Polaroid picture.”

“You have to understand that these are just insights into my psyche,” Pip adds. “Of course, a lot of people say it’s the worst bit of shit they’ve ever heard, but we’ll never be one of those bands that think it’s an albatross. When I wrote this, I had a fan base of about three people . . . now millions of people have heard us and we’re touring all across the world.”

Before linking with le Sac, and way before he arranged to drop Angles stateside on Providence indie-rap icon Sage Francis’s Strange Famous Records, Pip was merely a ferocious open-mic wit from Essex who dreamed of rhyming over unique sounds. In 2006 he pressed 1000 copies of a solo debut, No Commercial Breaks, but came up significantly short in the backdrop department.

“I just didn’t have anyone to make beats. Everyone thought it was a spoken-word album even though it was supposed to have more of a jazz thing to it. Then I met Dan, who had a much bigger name than me at the time. I had some other opportunities too — one guy had a Def Jux style, and another was like Joey Beats — but then I heard Dan’s stuff and it didn’t sound like anyone else. I didn’t know what the hell it was, so I went with it.”

Angles is stuffed with pop-culture parables and light-handed anecdotes that rarely ring trite; some cuts — “Fixed” and “Letter from God to Man” — are even as amusing as they are peerless. Still, “Kill” is the anomalous resounding moment, a song that few tracks on Angles or any other contemporary hip-hop disc can measure up against. And Pitchfork’s jerk-kneed contrarian just couldn’t admit that his real problem was how Pip’s whole project couldn’t swell his member like that first single.

“This is one of those songs that everyone likes to pick apart and that most people have some disagreement with. And the beauty of the Internet is that everyone can share their opinions no matter how inaccurate they are.”

DAN LE SAC VS. SCROOBIUS PIP + B. DOLAN + LOS WUNDER TWINS DEL RAP | Paradise | September 24 at 8 pm | 617.562.8800 or www.thedise.com

Last edited by Sage Francis on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:55 pm
Mr 9999
Judge and Jury

A huge leap into the top 50 at Radio 200 this week.

"Angles" moves from #96 to #48 at CMJ Radio 200 (2nd week, new peak!)
Post Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm
passenger

Mr 9999 wrote:

No comments about the Carson Daly performance slot, eh? haha. I know, i know.

well, i guess that's KINDA like TRL then, no? ... or at least where the TRL stars of Christmas past go to graze in the pasture. The retirement home of TRL if you will...

haha. No, any exposure is good exposure. Big congrats to them doing their thing! The live show and album are great!
Post Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:14 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

http://www.weeklydig.com/arts-entertainment/music/200809/dan-le-sac-vs-scroobius-pip

"His style is to disarm listeners with dry humor and deadpan delivery, and then reveal the social commentary beneath."
-Boston's Weekly Dig
Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 pm
FranktheP

Alternative press gave them 3 1/2 stars and Spin gave them 3 stars too.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:04 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

FranktheP wrote:
Alternative press gave them 3 1/2 stars and Spin gave them 3 stars too.

huh. Who didn't invite me to the big press party? Haha thanks.
Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:06 am

Jump to: