Search
Register
mos def vs sage francis
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

ecapataz

futuristxen wrote:
If Mos Def were honest he would have called Black On Both Sides: "Don't Bother Turning this Piece of Shit over, because I assure you Both Sides Do Indeed sound Like Turds being Squeezed out of my Asshole"

haha I love this.
Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:46 pm
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

futuristxen wrote:
If Mos Def were honest he would have called Black On Both Sides: "Don't Bother Turning this Piece of Shit over, because I assure you Both Sides Do Indeed sound Like Turds being Squeezed out of my Asshole"

you lost alot of credibility with that statement

edit: also want does "good customer service" mean to making music?
it doesn't mean shit..like someone is going to listen to someone's music because of good customer service..that is absurd
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:07 am
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

Keep up this line of questioning and Sage might have to create another alias specifically to take you down another notch.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:54 am
Eltron Hubbard
try-harderator

Dang, I meant "create a", not "create another".
I don't know why I said that.
"Another" would imply that an alias had already been created to lambast you in a witty fashion. Ignore that thought. That's paranoia talking.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:58 am
Jesse Custer

This thread has reminded me how fucking awesome Black on Both Sides is. I can't wait to get home and listen to it.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:48 am
DM

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
futuristxen wrote:

you lost alot of credibility with that statement

edit: also want does "good customer service" mean to making music?
it doesn't mean shit..like someone is going to listen to someone's music because of good customer service..that is absurd
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 am
laurapalmer

futuristxen wrote:

i think you are talking shit without a listen just to be difficult. that album still holds up.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 pm
Stumbleweed

If I were to rank the Mos Def/Kweli catalog, it would go like this:

Reflection Eternal - tightest album overall, less throwaway tracks, "Four Women" is great. Hi-Tek production wins this one for me -- the album as a vibe throughout that can only be accomplished by having a single producer.

Black on Both Sides "Ms. Fat Booty" has that beat, the beginning of the album bangs, Mos' raps are on-point.. Umi Says and whatever else kills the momentum though..

Black Star - Smh, this album has gotten less and less play over the years. "Respiration" is probably still the best track on it, but I can hardly listen to the beginning of the album anymore. Both guys have boring-ass raps and Mos does a little too much "calling up" to the old school shit word-for-word..

Quality - "Get By" is and will always be hot, but the rest of the album is just kinda there.

I didn't listen to Black Magic or the rest of Mos' new shit, but if it was anything like his live performance (I didn't recognize a lot of the songs he did, and I assume there were form newer projects), it would definitely be rock bottom.. shit was weak.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
name

futuristxen wrote:
He, Common, and Talib are all on bullshit posturing with boring flows over boring beats with boring lyrics that never say anything new, interesting, or engaging.

feel like i've had this argument too many times on this forum, (and maybe you were just speaking about the present day), but....

if you were sitting around listening to hip hop in 1994, and someone threw on ressurection, and you said "this shit is weak/unoriginal/boring"... then either you've got something to prove to some group of hip-hop/avante-garde music snobs, or your taste in music baffles me.

say what you want about common selling out and his "pitiful inscence vibe" over the last decade, but there was a time when that kid from chicago was one of the dopest acts arounds. resurrection was (and is) deeply personal, original, and classic... no matter how many gap commercials he does these days.

as far as the other folks, yeah they were always weak to some degree.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:24 pm
benjy compson

mos def has always been a knock-knock joke
sans punchline
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:31 pm
Jerome

Black on Both Sides is a very good album.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:54 pm
z-spot22

well, from these photos here i think you guys can tell im having WAAAAAAY more fun with Sage than i am with MosDef.........

i mean really, you can see it in their eyes, just look at how much more Sage is into hangin out with his fans than MosDef is......

and here's the joke.......

"Knock Knock"
"Who's there?"
"MosDef"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! no, really......who's there?"
"MosDef"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:06 pm
tommi teardrop

I hate on "conscious rap" as much as the next guy, but there is no denying that Blackstar and Black on Both Sides are good albums. I might go so far as to say that Black on Both Sides is a classic.

These kinds of rappers catch so much heat for falling off while guys like Ras Kass, Monch and Saafir get remembered for their better moments. I'm not sure why that is.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:00 pm
DM

tommi teardrop wrote:
I hate on "conscious rap" as much as the next guy, but there is no denying that Blackstar and Black on Both Sides are good albums. I might go so far as to say that Black on Both Sides is a classic.

These kinds of rappers catch so much heat for falling off while guys like Ras Kass, Monch and Saafir get remembered for their better moments. I'm not sure why that is.

Good point. I agree that its kinda unfair to revere certain emcees' best moments (especially the ones you mentioned) while others don't get the same treatment.

But in the case of Mos and Common, both have become moviestars/celebrities while releasing a steady stream of garbage and have been celebrated still as "rappers"--where they're almost like cross-marketed entertainers. Someone like Saafir has faded into obscurity, but we'll always have Boxcar Sessions.
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:22 pm
poopsnack

Sage look like he puts on a great show from the DVD I bought. Maybe if he ever comes to Columbus, Ohio (on a weekend, preferable) I would know. Columbus is the 15 largest city in America, I am told.
;)
Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next