Search
Register
Reanimator interview and free download. Thx to DM!
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

erich

ah, i hear it now. thanks outpatient, that second notation made it click for me.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:36 pm
MessiahCarey

I was going to make Divinci's post yesterday. Haha.

Basically, it can be counted as 4/4 with accents at the appropriate places.

I don't remember the song, to be honest, but it's very likely that certain elements are in different time signatures and they meet up due to the number of times they're repeated.

This happens in prog rock a lot (King Crimson, Tool, as examples) where you have a drummer riding on a 4/4 beat with accents and everyone else playing in some crazy time signature.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:41 pm
reanimator

Yeah - I'd call it 6/8. Technically, the only difference between 3/4 and 6/8 would be if the music was notated or if a conductor was conducting it. The reason I would call it 6/8 is because, due to the fast tempo, if a conductor was going to conduct it, they would most likely make a motion on the first beat per 'triplet', instead of every note of the 'triplet' (triplet is in quotes because in 3/4 or 6/8, it's not a true triplet notation-wise, it would just be notated as a quarter note). So, it's definitely not a waltz tempo, which is why I wouldn't call it 3/4.

But, programming-wise, the tracks were composed in 3/4 because it was just to make it easy to snap to the timeline. I'm not even sure the software I used has 6/8 on it as an option.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:19 pm
DM

reanimator wrote:
Yeah - I'd call it 6/8. Technically, the only difference between 3/4 and 6/8 would be if the music was notated or if a conductor was conducting it. The reason I would call it 6/8 is because, due to the fast tempo, if a conductor was going to conduct it, they would most likely make a motion on the first beat per 'triplet', instead of every note of the 'triplet' (triplet is in quotes because in 3/4 or 6/8, it's not a true triplet notation-wise, it would just be notated as a quarter note). So, it's definitely not a waltz tempo, which is why I wouldn't call it 3/4.

But, programming-wise, the tracks were composed in 3/4 because it was just to make it easy to snap to the timeline. I'm not even sure the software I used has 6/8 on it as an option.

Was the beat made first, before you heard the raps or the other way around? I wonder if it was harder for Prolyphic to flip it in a different time, or if you had to match his rhythm.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:02 am
reanimator

His verse was originally in 4/4 and then I put the 6/8 beat behind it. I thought it worked as-is, but then he re-did the verses to go more with the 6/8 triplet feel.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:41 pm
prolyphic81

Actually, it was easy re working the verse to fit the 3/4 6/8 tempo.

Dick and Jane has grown to be one of my favorite songs on the album, for many reasons.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:43 pm
Buddy Peace

Until I started studying music last year I had no idea what 6/8 or say, 12/8 were... I always thought rhythms like this were just 3/4. But yeah it all still has that basic 4/4 pulse in there... I really like this track, I love hearing beats do things like that.

I'll read this interview in full later today, I wanna give it some proper time. Thanks for the heads up!
Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:05 am
DM

Hey Buddy Peace,

If you get this message, could you send me an email: DM021680 at yahoo dot com.

Hope to hear from you my man.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:35 am
Buddy Peace

Message received... I'll hit you up in a sec.
Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:04 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2