Search
Register
had to do it: factory farming
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

angrymushroom

had to do it: factory farming  Reply with quote  

---------------------------------------

Last edited by angrymushroom on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:35 pm
Craig a.d.

is your point cattle should be killed more humanely? or is it that cattle should roam the usa?
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:58 pm
natas sevol dog

graft knives on their foreheads and let them defend us from terrorist
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 9:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ihaveagluegun

i gotsta eat meat mmmmmm mmmmm for real, these people make money off of these animals, they arent gonna let a ton of money go to waste, uh uh, they have too much to lose like that, anyfuckineways. what are you gonna stop everyone from eating meat? no, never, and thus you will always have slaughterhouses, fuck it. the animal rights movement is about as useful as the legalize pot movement, just about different things, eh, im not about it, its goin nowhere, and the people, thats all they think of, always talkin about it, its something to cling to....bahh, im so fed up with people, trust, false sincerity, and just stupid suggestions, dont mind my bitchin, i just hate everyone..
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:07 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SYmbi0sis

im not going to argue that cattle are treated inhumanely but i do believe

that beef production can be a reasonable element of sustainable

agriculture. However this type of ag will never develop under the mega

corperations that possess a stranglehold on the beef industry in the united

states and elsewhere. Hati's fertile soil hads been washed away by

overgrazing from cattle so we can eat mcdonalds at the hands these

corperations.

Futhermore it takes 100kg of grain to produce 10kg of meat. What would

happen if we stopped eating meat and instead use all that leftover grain to

feed the world???

Why doesnt my signature work??
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:57 pm
califunky

eat a sausage  Reply with quote  

but beef is soooo yummy!

going to school in Los Angeles, i ran across more than my fare share of vegetarians, and one of their favorite arguments, obviously intended to stun me into renouncing my barbaric meat eating ways was to ask me

"have you ever even seen a slaughterhouse"?

these people did not realize that i grew up in CENTRAL california,
needless to say when i explained that i have personally killed a representative of every single species i have ever eaten (with the exception of various fishies). That usually shuts them the fuck up.

Yes, the meat processing industry is cruel, but its not something i feel bad about, cause honetly when i look into the dull brown eyes of a big side of steak standing there and chewing its cud, the only thing i can imagine bessie is think is "please, kill me, kill me now"

if you want to be a vegetarian i totally respect that, but if you wanna get militant and stop the rest of us from our 4 million year old meat eating tradition you can go fuck yourself

Cause just like cartman said when he saw the baby veal all chained up
"This one looks delicious"

c
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 pm
argot

chopping down rain forest to grow grain to feed cows they slaughter when the grain could be used to feed people....... thats a great idea

everytime you eat a steak you are contributing to hunger

Anyone/thing who gets fucked over or hurt by whatever product coming to you... you are directly responsible for.
Post Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:18 pm
ihaveagluegun

argot wrote:
chopping down rain forest to grow grain to feed cows they slaughter when the grain could be used to feed people....... thats a great idea

Anyone/thing who gets fucked over or hurt by whatever product coming to you... you are directly responsible for.

fine, fuckem from now on, i only look out for me, thats the way i need to be more selfish, shit, im not enough of the time
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:14 am
angrymushroom

Ok then...lets just use the Pro-Degradation campaign.
"Use it all up now" is the slogan. The message is in order to save the planet from ourselves, we should consume as quickly as possible everything that makes life tenable for the human race. Buy more, war more, breed more, drive more! Pro Deg's goal is to bring about our own extinction within three gererations, which may be fast enough that we don't take every living organism with us.

cheers to that!
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:45 am
angrymushroom

Re: eat a sausage  Reply with quote  

-------------------------------------

Last edited by angrymushroom on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:53 am
Micranot

craig wrote:
is your point cattle should be killed more humanely? or is it that cattle should roam the usa?

hahahaha, exactly
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:19 am
Micranot

yo  Reply with quote  

"How many hormones, antibiotics, and other harmful substances can we consume so that big factory farming companies can have a higher production rate for selfish reasoning??? "

ahhh, was waiting for this to come out. Look, you can find something bad to say about practically ANYTHING if you look hard enough, sure that website may be somewhat shocking to the more faint of heart, but go look up what is being sprayed allllllll over those delicious fruits and vegtables youre eating, including but not limited to fertilizers, pesticides, growth hormones, genetically modified crops, etc.

i mean, beefs horrible, vegtables are horrible, fruits are horrible, sugar is horrible

and at the same time, used reasonable all those things can be benifical as well.

also note that the development of homo sapiens as a species is completely dependant on us becoming omnivores and starting to eat meat thousands of years ago (greater protiene intake allowed for more brain growth, hence the development of us). Its not just that we can eat meat so we do and thats why it is bad, eating meat is part of what makes us who we are, part of our nature, a necessary deveopment for us to evolve as we did. Deny your biological inclinations all you want, but just because you dont like seeing animals killed and because YOU dont eat meat, dont sit here and tell and try to guilt trip people into all the food theyre "wasting" by eating all the "uncessary meat". The vast majority of people on this earth are omnivores, and always will be, and as such cattle is a necessary part of peoples diets, and hence society. Even though you think its "wasting" all the grain that COULD go to people who need, doesnt mean that other people think it is a waste to trade that kind of ratio for grain/beef. If that is what it takes to sustain our natural, inherent diet, then so be it.
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:33 am
imatopos

Brilliant arguments--really . . .  Reply with quote  

I must say, I'm curious why most of you even listen to people like Sage. You clearly love to just spout out standard shit about what is "natural," "inevitable," the "way things have always been," etc. Do any of you think that it might be an interesting task to challenge the way things "are"? Or that the task of art, music, thought, etc., might be to allow us to see the world and its inhabitants differently? To unlock different possibilities and ways of becoming? At the very least, take the time to think before you speak the same shit you hear from your parents, Bill O' Reilly, or whatever other non-thinking person your rely on for your information. To wit:

"what are you gonna stop everyone from eating meat? no, never, and thus you will always have slaughterhouses, fuck it. the animal rights movement is about as useful as the legalize pot movement"

No vegetarian that I know of is this delusional--such widespread and radical changes as complete elimination of slaughterhouse may or may not come about (no one has a crystal ball), but striving for such an ideal does not seem to be a worthless pursuit even if you fall short of complete success (will you ever be completely rid of racism, sexism, homphobia, etc.? NO! So fuck it, I'm gonna be a racist, sexist, homophobe, etc.--do you see the [il]logic?).

"these people did not realize that i grew up in CENTRAL california,
needless to say when i explained that i have personally killed a representative of every single species i have ever eaten (with the exception of various fishies). That usually shuts them the fuck up."

Such statements might shut lightweight, non-thinking vegetarians the fuck up, but it does not constitute any kind of genuine response to the question of whether we ought to engage in such actions--of course some (even many) of the people who visit slaughterhouses continue to eat meat, but the ethical question remains untouched by such empirical observations. A more interesting question for you to consider is how you are able to interirorize and subsequently disavow the suffering of other animals. I wonder if you have pets . . . and I wonder if you would have the same attitude toward watching them suffer. If not, what are the origins of this disjunct in your psyche? Why does the suffering of some sentient beings (humans, some nonhuman animals) count for you (assuming they do--who knows), and the suffering of other beings doesn't?

"ahhh, was waiting for this to come out. Look, you can find something bad to say about practically ANYTHING if you look hard enough, sure that website may be somewhat shocking to the more faint of heart, but go look up what is being sprayed allllllll over those delicious fruits and vegtables youre eating, including but not limited to fertilizers, pesticides, growth hormones, genetically modified crops, etc. i mean, beefs horrible, vegtables are horrible, fruits are horrible, sugar is horrible."

Do you think one could make a distinction here between degrees of harm? Certainly all food poses potential health problems, given contemporary modes of agriculture. But does this mean that they are all equivalent? Are the bad health side effects of eating meat the same as the bad health side effects of eating sprayed vegetables and other products? It's certainly a question worth considering--instead you quickly conflate all modes of ingestion under one unmbrella and then render them interchangeable, when they are, strictly speaking, radically different with regard to health (I'm not sure health reasons are the most important reason for being vegetarian, but that's another issue).

And the topper for worst argument of the year:

"it's not just that we can eat meat so we do and thats why it is bad, eating meat is part of what makes us who we are , part of our nature, a necessary deveopment for us to evolve as we did. Deny your biological inclinations all you want, but just because you dont like seeing animals killed and because YOU dont eat meat, dont sit here and tell and try to guilt trip people into all the food theyre "wasting" by eating all the "uncessary meat"."

Two things--first, you should learn a bit about the is/ought fallacy. Second, meat-eating no doubt forms a part of our natural, biological evolution as a species--but can you not recognize that our current ways of eating and killing animals are radically different than those of previous generations? Do you have any idea how high the percentage of meat in our diets is compared to other cultures and previous generations? If eating meat is part of our "natural" diet (and I'm not quite sure how you know these things without doing a careful study of the history of food in human history--common sense and pop-evolutionary theory are not very useful guides here), the amount of meat we now consume is so far removed from the diets of our ancestors that it would seem our massive meat-eating is itself unnantural.

I have a headache. I'm out.
Matt
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:19 am
angrymushroom

--------------------------------------

Last edited by angrymushroom on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:22 pm
SYmbi0sis

first off,
argot wrote:

You totally twisted what I said into something different. Rainforest soils cannot susatainably produce any grain product. Without the thick forest coverage soils become leached and soon the only soil left contains no humus, therefore containing no nutrients. If grain that is grown sustainably it could be used to feed the exploding popualtions around the world instead of being used to feed cows for american and european consumption.

Meat is ok but it must be enjoyed in moderation and should never be the main part of the meal. Environmental issues aside, holding meat as a staple for a diet is unhealthy. Ever wonder why the average american has at a significatly higher risk for heart disease or attack??? Probly cuz we eat a significantly higher proportion of meat eh???

secondly,

Quote:

I must say, I'm curious why most of you even listen to people like Sage. You clearly love to just spout out standard shit about what is "natural," "inevitable," the "way things have always been," etc. Do any of you think that it might be an interesting task to challenge the way things "are"? Or that the task of art, music, thought, etc., might be to allow us to see the world and its inhabitants differently? To unlock different possibilities and ways of becoming? At the very least, take the time to think before you speak the same shit you hear from your parents, Bill O' Reilly, or whatever other non-thinking person your rely on for your information.

i dont think i need to add anything to that[/quote]
Post Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:00 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next