Search
Register
"ANGLES"....shipping to our customers NOW
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > SFR Artists, Albums & Merch!

Bob_ptmfus

So I know most of you guys don't pay them any mind, but you know who gave this a 0.2 http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/144868-dan-le-sac-vs-scroobius-pip-angles
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:17 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

That is outlandish. Ha. I mean...that's all I can say about that. Strangely hilarious at the same time. Might be the lowest rating I've ever ever seen ever. Yet, I'm still listening to this album with delight.

ah well. Pitchfork, you did it again. Kudos. We'll use it as a selling point.

It's like the writer ate an apple and rated it on the kind of things he'd expect from a hamburger.

a whopping 0.2 from Pitchfork Media

haha YES
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 am
tom inhaler
me too!

Sage Francis wrote:
That is outlandish. Ha. I mean...that's all I can say about that. Strangely hilarious at the same time. Might be the lowest rating I've ever ever seen ever. Yet, I'm still listening to this album with delight.

ah well. Pitchfork, you did it again. Kudos. We'll use it as a selling point.

It's like the writer ate an apple and rated it on the kind of things he'd expect from a hamburger.

a whopping 0.2 from Pitchfork Media

haha YES

the blurb on the front page says "Fucking hell." which could actually be a good quote to use.

"Fucking hell." - Pitchfork Media
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 am
Bob_ptmfus

For the record they have given 0.0's before.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:08 am

They'll give the new Jeezy at least an 8.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Bob_ptmfus wrote:
For the record they have given 0.0's before.

Ha, yes. I see Sonic Youth got a 0 actually. Now I have to seek out that album.

I think this is nice...

"Angles is worthy of careful, repeated listens"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/qvmq/

this also makes sense to me...

"This album is full of complete ups and downs, each track is unique to itself, never sounding like the previous or the following."
http://www.goreki.com/2008/05/review-dan-le-sac-vs-scroobius-pip-angles/

I told them blokes to keep their heads up. They didn't even need me to say that. They do their damn thing because they do it well and in their own way regardless of what anyone says. That's one of the most infectious things about them.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:16 pm
FranktheP

I just got it in the mail and I am looking forward to it. I really liked my "extras" but the vegan candy bar melted on the HTDD poster. No worries- wiped it off and its hanging in my daughter's room. Thanks.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:05 pm
DM

Man oh man, this album is full of fun and flavor. It's dense and catchy too. I'm really digging some of the verses and how smart and entertaining they are.

There will always be cats who won't dig shit, but a .2 is ridiculous. Hahaha, who cares. I think people should check for this.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 am
futuristxen

They'll give the new Jeezy at least an 8.

I doubt it. They've been hating on hiphop all year. The only thing Pitchfork is giving good reviews to right now are like electronica shit that jumped the shark last spring.

Pitchfork has completely lost the plot, and I think most people now just use the site for the news and to keep up with what is being released. Their reviews are a pile of worthless.

And then there at the end the writer makes sure we know he's not a fan of Sage Francis in the least.

Wonder what the rating for this album would have been if it had been put by a diffrent label?

Pitchfork is all goofballs.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:44 am
futuristxen

Pitchfork for whatever reason hates any kind of political hiphop. In the doomtree review they spent a paragraph decrying the genre. And they gave bad reviews to both Killer Mike and David Banner in comparison to less political albums of the same sonic merit.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:01 am
Dyss

Ok, thats it. Im never listening to this album again.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 pm

FWIW, Lil Wayne's Carter III got 8.7, The Roots's Rising Down 7.8, The Cool Kids's Bake Sale 7.8, and .....Lemons got 7.0.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:56 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

DanVsPip score some Canadian press with Access Magazine

DAN LE SAC VS. SCROOBIUS PIP Angles (Strange Famous Records) In stores: Sept. 2

British hip hop hasn’t made much of an impression in Canada yet, despite the quality of artists like The Streets and Dizzee Rascal. But Angles, the debut full-length from producer Dan Le Sac and rapper Scroobius Pip, stands a chance at being noticed, as well it should be. Already a deserved YouTube fave thanks to their amazing ‘Thou Shalt Always Kill’ vid, the duo have made an arty but catchy record which, while unlikely to set hip hop clubs on fire, should be embraced by the underground. Top tracks: ‘Look For The Woman’, ‘Thou Shalt Al-ways Kill’, ‘Beat That My Heart Skipped’
Rating: eeeeeeeeEE
Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:19 am
Dyss

"thou shall not read NME"

But they did get a solid review-score from there though.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/dan-le-sac-vs-scroobuis-pip/9675

"For a duo out to prove they’re not one-hit, beardy-weirdy wonders, these Essex boys don’t start well. With doll versions of themselves peeking out of the artwork of this debut album (part of which was created in the back of le Sac’s car) and a song named after comedy deity Tommy Cooper (‘Tommy C’) it’s all very Goldie Lookin’ Chain. But give ’em a chance, as le Sac and Pip are contenders in the Mike Skinner school of Brit-hop, albeit with more with lyrics about pants, socks and the Periodic table.

‘Tommy C’’s original title was ‘James Blunt Can Fuck Right Off’, and makes the compelling point that real beauty is not ‘You’re Beautiful’ slush but simply Tommy Cooper making us laugh. ‘Fixed’ refers to another UK icon – Dizzee Rascal – using the beat from ‘Fix Up, Look Sharp’ to tackle the state of UK hip-hop. While Scroobius’ angry young man act is powerful on the title track and the Radiohead-sampling, anti-war ‘Letter From God To Man’, he’s not averse to straying into ‘Dry Your Eyes’ territory too: next single ‘Look For The Woman’ is destined to be a similar gouge-your-eyes-out hit. Yet it’s Dan’s inventive production that saves them from imitation – check out the subterranean ‘Magician’s Assistant’, the computer voices on ‘Development’ and those budget keyboards on last year’s hit ‘Thou Shalt Always Kill’. The duo come together best on ‘Back From Hell’, a bouncy UK version of Eminem’s ‘Without Me’. Are the Brit Slim Shadys finally standing – and growing – up? Sort of.

Lauren Cochrane"

7 out of 10

Last edited by Dyss on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:11 am; edited 2 times in total
Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:29 am
outpatient

"without me"? what the hell? these people have really lost it with the white rapper eminem comparisons.
Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next